FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerFanAlso2

not getting into a discussion regarding quality of students .....  fact is HSC football is falling .... time will tell how far and long it will take to get back to being competitive ...... wonder if new administration is pro athletics or not 

Macon

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on October 04, 2019, 12:27:57 PM
Quote from: Macon on October 04, 2019, 11:02:13 AM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on October 04, 2019, 08:36:40 AM
good point .... HSC offense is going no where fast .... not sure how HSC got to this point but reality is reality ..... going to be difficult for awhile to come as well ..... HSC is not getting the athletes they once did .... those days need to return
I was making this case in August when I noted the low recruitment numbers (only 26 Freshmen on roster).  HSC may or may not be getting some good athletes, but they're certainly not getting enough of them.  26 Freshmen is very low by ODAC standards (WLU may be the exception, but WLU is a different animal) and even low by HSC standards.  Not just a HSC football issue, but look at the recent past for HSC basketball, an even better case for not recruiting good athletes at HSC.  I even hear second hand (from HSC friends) that HSC has challenges recruiting quality students, athletes or not.  Don't have any real stats, so I could be getting bad info here.  Weak HSC athletic teams are not good for the ODAC, so here's hoping they become more competitive.  As much as its great to be on a winning streak via RMC/HSC, it's much more interesting if its competitive.
I'm not sure who your HSC friends are that are telling you that HSC is having "challenges" in recruiting quality students. The enrollment has been very steady for the last 23 years. According to the HSC Fact book from 1995 to 2018 this is not the case. A total enrollment of 321 in 2018 ranks as HSC's 3rd highest enrollment in that timeframe. The acceptance rate has stayed around 56% for the timeframe.  No real discernible difference in ACT and SAT scores. Which by the way are higher average scores than any ODAC school other than WL.
I stand corrected, good to hear.

Macon

Hasa, any thoughts on this weekend's RMC/GC matchup?

Wild Horse Rider

Coach Favret has won too many games and recruited too many good athletes over the years to believe he forgot how to do either.  The DC has been on staff for 13 years and the OL coach 12.  I'm not saying that can't be the issue but I would have a hard time believing that.

Have there been major changes from a school administration standpoint?  A new president, AD or other top admin can make big choices that unintentionally change the athletics and specifically football since it has the largest budget.

And I know it has been stated before but I'm not sure 18 year old me would go to an all male college (but that also has not changed recently).  But what do I know I went to school in Fayetteville even though that town has a reputation.

HSCTiger fan

What ODAC coach kept their job after starting their season 1/6 after going 5/5 the year before?

Pedro Arruza Randolph-Macon 2014 and 2015.

Yes I know they beat HSC both years. But at that time Arruzza had accomplished very little at RMC and I don't recall people suggesting the demise of RMC football, the lack of athletes at RMC, and the quality of RMC students.  In fact I don't recall any RMC fans at all. You could not find a Yellowjacket any where on a football board.  I am glad you're here now. We will all have to wait to see how the HSC season ends.

Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

y_jack_lok

Seems that after a run of success there is less tolerance on the part of fans for a down period in a program's fortunes. Wasn't Bridgewater in the national conversation a decade or more back, but now is back to a more typical ODAC program? They still have the same head coach, right. Are BC fans upset by this?

Jeremybozz

During the 2001 Stagg Bowl ESPN stated Bridgewater was the 2nd losingest football program in D3 history so Mike Clark will get the benefit of the doubt though 2006,2009,2010,2014 and 2018 were all seasons we came up just short in the ODAC race. 13 to 19 seasons ago this board was filled with several dozen Bridgewater fans and it will be interesting to see if some of them come back if this team starts winning big again this season (#33 in the coaches poll now).

thescottharris

H-Sc will be lucky to win another game this year.

y_jack_lok

Like R-MC and Ferrum last week, Guilford went with a first time starting QB today. He was fast, quick, and shifty and saw the field well. The Jackets were up 17-14 in a really good first half. GC received to start the second half and was putting together a good drive, when on a run by the QB the ball was punched out by a Jacket defender around the 7 and rolled through the end zone for a touchback and R-MC ball on the 20. The Jackets drove for a TD, then added another TD and a FG to make it 34-14 before the Quakers put together a TD drive to make it the 34-21 final with just under 4 minutes to go. All-in-all a pretty good game. Guilford seemed better than their record and some of their scores might suggest.

hasanova

Quote from: Macon on October 04, 2019, 03:25:15 PM
Hasa, any thoughts on this weekend's RMC/GC matchup?
Sorry, Macon ... I've been pretty busy.  Didn't see your post until today.  I will comment postgame below.

hasanova

Quote from: y_jack_lok on October 05, 2019, 05:08:56 PM
Like R-MC and Ferrum last week, Guilford went with a first time starting QB today. He was fast, quick, and shifty and saw the field well. The Jackets were up 17-14 in a really good first half. GC received to start the second half and was putting together a good drive, when on a run by the QB the ball was punched out by a Jacket defender around the 7 and rolled through the end zone for a touchback and R-MC ball on the 20. The Jackets drove for a TD, then added another TD and a FG to make it 34-14 before the Quakers put together a TD drive to make it the 34-21 final with just under 4 minutes to go. All-in-all a pretty good game. Guilford seemed better than their record and some of their scores might suggest.
I think you recapped the game pretty succinctly.  I believe the Jackets ... and their fans ... were a bit surprised at how competitive this game was.  The key play, as you cited, was the fumble at the 7 ... it was a matter of inches around the pylon.  To the right, it's still Guilford's ball and perhaps we take the lead ... to the left it goes through a tight corner of the endzone and it's RMC's ball at the 20.  Another point, GC gave up a lot of yardage on kickoff returns ... led to RMC's late first half FG and good field position all day.

Hope springs eternal, but I was encouraged yesterday.  It was a beautiful day for football and I hope the Yellow Jacket fans enjoyed the trip.   Despite our 1-4, 0-3 record, I believe the Quakers will win a couple of the last five.

Macon

Thanks, agreed that it was more competitive than expected.  Good luck against Ferrum!

y_jack_lok

Regarding competitveness -- with a few years of watching football under my belt I've come to realize that you should take nothing for granted, always be prepared for something unexpected to happen, and never underestimate the other team's motivation to win. It's not always about which team is supposedly more talented. Actually, I think this applies to most sports -- both individual and team.

tigerFanAlso2

Tigers are struggling ...... I don't know reasons why .... Coach Favret is our coach and I stand by him all the way ...... have confidence he will right the ship over the next four to five years .... it will not be this year or next but it will happen .... he has not forgotten how to coach/recruit although the recruiting process is probably more difficult given cost to attend HSC ..... 2 to 3 really good recruiting classes will solve this problem

jknezek

Geez... the angst about H-SC right now? I disappear for half a season and come back to this? There aren't too many coaches in the ODAC that wouldn't kill for Coach Favret's consistency. Yes it looks like he's headed for his second losing ODAC record in 3 years, but it's also only his second since his second year in the league. Most teams go up and down. H-SC spent about 15 years without a significant down and now we've had a run of a couple years that haven't been horrible, but haven't been the model of where they were from 2000-2015 or so.

Look at RMC in 2014 and 2015. Firing Coach Arruza would have been a massive mistake despite two seasons under .500 in the ODAC. Look at what they have done since, becoming the best program in the conference the last 2 years and probably this year as well (Bridgewater has flopped too many times in crucial moments over the last 15 years for me to believe until it actually happens).

So yes, this is a bit of a lull for Coach Favret. The only concern I'd have is about his first year numbers. As a W&L guy I know numbers aren't everything, but that is the one truly off putting thing I see for H-SC right now. I doubt the administration cares too much about a few mediocre seasons (or this one, which could be downright putrid). But they will care if the recruiting numbers aren't good paired with poor results.

Anyway, I hope you guys are all enjoying the season. I wish I had more time to watch but... kids, life, etc. Here's hoping for an injury free week for all the guys on the DIII gridirons.