MBB: Southern Athletic Association

Started by awadelewis, October 14, 2012, 08:45:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

pbrooks3

Centre is struggling to contain Rhodes in the quarterfinals.  The Lynx lead 43-35 at halftime on the strength of 77% FG shooting.  Rhodes has uncharacteristically played nearly turnover free basketball so far.  Centre will need to muster much better defense in the 2nd half to avoid an upset and a fast exit for the season.
🏀🏀🏀

pbrooks3

It was truly a struggle at Centre today but the Colonels defended well in the 2nd half in winning 85-77.  Perry Ayers scored 24 2nd half points to tally 26 for the game. Jacob Bates chipped in with 22 points and 8 rebounds for Centre.  Rhodes played a solid 40 minutes with huge contributions from 2 of their freshmen Wiley and Essick. Today's win enables the Colonels to host next week's semis/finals where they will be matched up against a hot Millsaps crew which toppled #4 seed Oglethorpe in Atlanta earlier today.
🏀🏀🏀

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 23, 2020, 07:18:54 PM
Centre has to win this AQ. Period.

I think Centre has a chance.  Not a great one, but I don't think a loss would mean you shouldn't tune in next Monday.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Titan Q

Why do you say that, Dave?  I'm curious.

Centre is #3 in the South, ranked ahead of Pool C candidates LeTourneau and Virginia Wesleyan.  When I did my Pool C round-by-round simulation last week, I had both LeTourneau and Virginia Wesleyan in (rounds 13 and 14 respectively). http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4232.msg1978643#msg1978643.

Why would Centre definitely be out of Pool C?  (I assume that is what you are saying?)

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Titan Q on February 23, 2020, 07:52:40 PM

Why do you say that, Dave?  I'm curious.

Centre is #3 in the South, ranked ahead of Pool C candidates LeTourneau and Virginia Wesleyan.  When I did my Pool C round-by-round simulation last week, I had both LeTourneau and Virginia Wesleyan in (rounds 13 and 14 respectively). http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4232.msg1978643#msg1978643.

Why would Centre definitely be out of Pool C?  (I assume that is what you are saying?)

Because I think there will be enough shake-up that if they aren't in the championship game at the very least, they could get shuffled down in the South Region. I think they have to win the AQ or it will feel like deja vu for them. Sure, there is always a chance they can get in ... but VWU and LeTourneau have better chances of improving their resumes than Centre does this week.

Also, there could be enough other upsets or shake-ups that puts them in a challenging position. They are playing with fire by not taking care of the one thing they can control.

Titan Q

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 23, 2020, 10:09:23 PM
Because I think there will be enough shake-up that if they aren't in the championship game at the very least, they could get shuffled down in the South Region. I think they have to win the AQ or it will feel like deja vu for them. Sure, there is always a chance they can get in ... but VWU and LeTourneau have better chances of improving their resumes than Centre does this week.

Also, there could be enough other upsets or shake-ups that puts them in a challenging position. They are playing with fire by not taking care of the one thing they can control.
With a loss before the SAA title game, I believe Centre would very much be in the Pool C picture...but on the bubble (about spot #15).

It is too strong to say they cannot get a Pool C.  They'd very much be in the mix.

D3RetiredHooper

With a loss before the SAA title game, I believe Centre would very much be in the Pool C picture...but on the bubble (about spot #15).

It is too strong to say they cannot get a Pool C.  They'd very much be in the mix.
[/quote]

I'd add that Letourneau, VA Wesleyan and Guilford should be rooting hard for Centre to win the SAA because I do not think their potential resume (22-5 .815, .524 SOS, 1-0 Record vRRO's) is very strong compared to other bubble teams across the country (Central/NE/MA/GL).  If Centre ends up ahead of those teams in the final South rankings, there's a good chance those teams either never get to the table or do just at the very end.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

pbrooks3

Thank goodness Centre doesn't have to sweat out a Pool C crapshoot in pulling out an SAA tournament championship win this afternoon over Berry 72-69.  Very competitive game with Berry overcoming an 18-point deficit early to tie the game 36-36 going into the half.  The Vikings continued their momentum coming out in the 2nd half building leads of 6-8 points several times before Centre was able to finally convert a couple of key 3's.  The Berry interior defense was exceptional much of the game as they frustrated Centre time and again.  Centre essentially made just enough 3's (13) to win.  The only negative for Berry in the game besides the final score was 5 of 15 free throw shooting.  Perry Ayers led the Colonels with 23 points and 5 triples.  Berry's Austin Brooks tallied 18.  Fine coaching from both sides was in evidence today. 
🏀🏀🏀

pbrooks3

Centre goes to Emory and plays Pomona-Pitzer on Friday 03/06 in the 1st round.  Centre technically is a #2 seed in at this site.  Colonels with a win Friday night would be matched up Saturday against the winner of Emory and Methodist.  Friday night start time is 7:30 PM CT.
🏀🏀🏀

Pat Coleman

Emory is in Eastern Time, so that's 7:30 ET.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

pbrooks3

My bad.  Centre finished their season in the early game (5 pm ET) against Pomona-Pitzer as the Sagehens prevailed 84-64.  Colonels were outshot & outplayed today.  Pomona-Pitzer scorched the nets @ 57% and were even more efficient from the arc going 11-18.  On the opposite end Centre struggled from the three making 5-26.  Perry Ayers finished his career with a 19 point effort, followed by Jakob Spitzer with 15 and Jacob Bates had 10.
🏀🏀🏀

pbrooks3

Heck of a finish @ Emory tonight as Pomona-Pitzer shocks Emory with a buzzer-beating 3 pointer from the left corner to win 71-70.  The Sagehens executed the final play beautifully with 2.8 seconds left after Emory went up by 2.  They heaved a perfect half court pass calling a timeout with 2.2 seconds remaining.  They then rubbed Jack Boyle off a screen to enable him to get a high arching shot off with solid Eagle defensive pressure & he swished it as the red light came on.  Centre takes some consolation from getting beaten Friday night by the team who will be going to the Sweet 16 from the Atlanta pod. March Madness at its finest!
🏀🏀🏀