Top 25 discussion

Started by Pat Coleman, February 02, 2005, 12:01:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SidelineHero

Quote from: 7express on December 05, 2018, 01:50:43 PM
Quote from: SidelineHero on December 04, 2018, 06:13:43 AM
I see that Mass Dartmouth got a vote!  ;D ;D ;D Let's see if they give Bowdoin a game this Thursday.

I hope so.  Might be close for a half, but I say Bowdoin by 15 or so, pulling away in the second half.

that may happen but I am hoping for a game similar to when #6(at the time) Tufts came to Mass Dartmouth and the Corsairs had it close going into the last 90 seconds and ended up losing by 6 or 7.  Either way, the LEC is making some noise this season!

gordonmann

You called it. Bowdoin opened up a larger lead a little earlier than 90 seconds remaining but it was very close and the Corsairs led at the break. They deserve to be in the Top 25 based on what I saw. Examond is a beast and only plays with one gear (hard charging). Southern Maine has pretty good height, like Bowdoin and East Conn has a really good forward. I'll look forward to seeing how she plays against them.

And Bowdoin also looked good. Good depth, good height, smart guard play, they take care of the ball and have an athletic scorer in Kelly -- reminds me of last year's Amherst team in a lot of ways. They are the best or second best team I've seen this year, depending on how you slot Thomas More. That would be a fun final or semifinal.

Rofrog

So question I take it your a voter gordonmann?So Umass-Dartmouth losses to The no1 team in girls and there record is 6-1?Okay then I was told the other day that Scranton men dont deserve to be ranked because they haven't beaten anyone yet at 7-0  they stomped  York,Cabrini and Stevenson on York and Stevenson home court but they shouldn't be ranked!But a team I get it women loses to Bowdoin*no 1 tea and they deserve to be in the top 25 please explain the knowledge of your voting ways ?

Rofrog

Cabrini,York tournament teams!

SidelineHero

Quote from: gordonmann on December 06, 2018, 10:20:21 PM
You called it. Bowdoin opened up a larger lead a little earlier than 90 seconds remaining but it was very close and the Corsairs led at the break. They deserve to be in the Top 25 based on what I saw. Examond is a beast and only plays with one gear (hard charging). Southern Maine has pretty good height, like Bowdoin and East Conn has a really good forward. I'll look forward to seeing how she plays against them.

And Bowdoin also looked good. Good depth, good height, smart guard play, they take care of the ball and have an athletic scorer in Kelly -- reminds me of last year's Amherst team in a lot of ways. They are the best or second best team I've seen this year, depending on how you slot Thomas More. That would be a fun final or semifinal.

What a great game!  I was impressed by both teams yesterday.  Bowdoin is amazingly efficient and Mass Dartmouth is very gritty.  Neither team was willing to give an inch to the opponent.  Kudos to Dartmouth as they were without arguably their best player in Ashley Brown (22)last night. 

Gordon, Mass Dartmouth has beaten USM @ Dartmouth.  I too am interested in seeing East Conn vs. UMD.  That match up has become a very intense rivalry. 

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: Rofrog on December 07, 2018, 02:20:06 AM
So question I take it your a voter gordonmann?So Umass-Dartmouth losses to The no1 team in girls and there record is 6-1?Okay then I was told the other day that Scranton men dont deserve to be ranked because they haven't beaten anyone yet at 7-0  they stomped  York,Cabrini and Stevenson on York and Stevenson home court but they shouldn't be ranked!But a team I get it women loses to Bowdoin*no 1 tea and they deserve to be in the top 25 please explain the knowledge of your voting ways ?

Just to clarify, this is the women's Top 25 board.  Gordon votes in the women's poll, not the men's.  It's a separate slate of voters in each.

This is probably a better conversation for the men's Top 25 board: http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4097.0

Just quickly, York graduated five or six seniors, basically all of their production from last year.  They are not the same team.  Cabrini graduated their best player and lost their second best player to transfer.  The schedule the Scranton men have played thus far is not one that can tell a voter anything.  They're on the radar, for sure.  They're getting some votes, but they're going to have to keep it up a little longer, especially when relying on freshman and with a few years of under-performing expectations.  Don't worry, it's only December.  They have plenty of time.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

gordonmann

Thanks, Ryan.

I didn't even realize Scranton men were undefeated or weren't receiving votes. That's how closely I'm watching that Top 25. :)

ronk

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on December 07, 2018, 06:26:42 AM
Quote from: Rofrog on December 07, 2018, 02:20:06 AM

Just to clarify, this is the women's Top 25 board.  Gordon votes in the women's poll, not the men's.  It's a separate slate of voters in each.

This is probably a better conversation for the men's Top 25 board: http://www.d3boards.com/index.php?topic=4097.0

Just quickly, York graduated five or six seniors, basically all of their production from last year. They are not the same team.  Cabrini graduated their best player and lost their second best player to transfer.  The schedule the Scranton men have played thus far is not one that can tell a voter anything.  They're on the radar, for sure.  They're getting some votes, but they're going to have to keep it up a little longer, especially when relying on freshman and with a few years of under-performing expectations.  Don't worry, it's only December.  They have plenty of time.

More like 55%(46.7 ppg out of 77 ppg.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

ronk - in our world that is basically the same thing Ryan is saying. We realize teams never lose 100% of their production, but we also realize that 55% was in the starting line-up basically. Now, 45% still returned ... but in our world that is a red flag worth noting.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Rofrog

Dave two starters and the sixth man started for York

Roundball999

FWIW, Massey has York #74 and Scranton #34, which is up 49 spots from previous.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: Rofrog on December 07, 2018, 02:19:15 PM
Dave two starters and the sixth man started for York

Not sure what you are trying to say ... but they lost three 1,000 point scorers... you mention three players. That's a sizable piece. What are we trying to disprove exactly?
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

saratoga

I think we all need to relax & realize Top 25's are only good for one thing...creating conversation.

We are barely through 1/4 of the season, lots of basketball yet to be played with many twists & turns & upsets still to come.

Save your energy for the only poll that matters...the NCAA Regional ones that will begin in Feb.

Until then, the poll put out by Stanky's Bar & Grill in lower Nanticoke might have Kings listed as number 3 in the nation...who cares?

NEPAFAN

Scranton board moved here. Got it. LOL.

York beat JHU and Franklin Marshal two traditional Mid Atlantic powers; why are we talking about what they lost as far as production goes? As someone else said York would  be first in the Centennial.

A school without football is in danger of deteriorating into a medieval study hall.
Vince Lombardi

Rofrog

Dave serious what would it take for Scranton to be ranked in your eyes you have been giving statements that Scranton ls not deserving of such rankings.My point iScranton could beat Nebraska Wesleyan and you still wouldn't rank them.To start 3 freshman and be 7-0 is pretty damn good and by the way they can play!