FB: American Rivers Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

MediaGuy

I liked another name that I heard tossed around in "unofficial" circles obviously...follow the CCIW model and be the Conference of Iowa and Nebraska, or the COIN.  Thought that opened up a few more catchy naming options for rivalries and trophies.

5 Words or Less

It's 3,049,200 cubits, Lincoln to Dubuque

doolittledog

Quote from: 5 Words or Less on August 13, 2018, 09:18:17 AM

I was told there wouldn't be any math

Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

AndOne

Quote from: 5 Words or Less on August 13, 2018, 09:18:17 AM

Along that great American River, the Linbuque. 🛶 😏

Old Dutch

Quote from: doolittledog on August 12, 2018, 07:46:39 AM
We were at the Traer Wind Up Days last night.  Talked to some recent IIAC players and middle aged to even old farts with IIAC ties.  None thought American Rivers Conference was a good choice.  Most thought the IIAC name had some cache and shouldn't matter with other schools now in the conference.  Some thought if a name change did occur we should have a name that better describes our geography.  Something that notes our Midwest location.  All doubted, even with further expansion, that we would be a large enough conference that "American" should be in the name.  Was mentioned that even though you paid a lot of money to a marketing company/PR firm someone should have raised their hand and asked if there wasn't a better option than American Rivers Conference.  Each conversation ended with a shrug and an "oh well"

Well, put me in the Old Farts column as not liking the change.  Where is the geographic identification and pride of being from I-O-Way?  Or Big Red country.  Neither is immediately thought of when we are American Rivers.  Of all the made up names for newly reorganized high schools in our state that forgot their geographic identity you would think a committee to rename a conference would be a little more creative.  Lets take a quiz:  Where is Ridge View, West Fork?whats the difference between West Central, or West Central Valley, Central Springs, East Central, Souix Central, or Sioux Center, both exist; Tri-Center?, Mid Prairie vs Midland?   Even Ar-We-Va and the rest of the alphabet schools (BCLUW, AGWSR or AOBCIG) give you an idea of place. 

Ok, got that off my chest. Eventually I'll buy something adorned with that damn new Central Logo, but it won't be easy.  I need to take my pills and get to bed.
61 consecutive seasons without a losing season
IIAC/ARC champs 39, 45, 46, 56, 64, 65, 66, 67, 74, 77, 78, 81, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 89, 90, 92, 94, 95, 98, 00, 01, 02, 05, 06, 07, 09, 19, 21
NCAA Playoffs 74, 77, 78, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 92, 94, 95, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 05, 06, 07, 09, 19, 21
Stagg Bowls 74, 84, 89
National Champs 1974

MUC57

Old Dutch

Hope you don't mind if an "outsider" jumps in. I'm on your side, perhaps because I am also an old fart. And I'm the real deal (Mount Union class of 1957). Now that's old.
IIAC, to me, had meaning. It brought to mind the great Central teams of the past. Wartburg has gained some national prominence. And all the Iowa teams come to mind.
But American Rivers? I can close my eyes and what do I see? I see the Ohio River, the Missouri River, and of course the Mighty Mississippi River as well as a host of others. Wasn't American Rivers a documentary on PBS?
Don't know what would happen if the Ohio Athletic Conference (OAC) changed it's name. How about "The Rust Belt conference"? "The Flatlands Conference"
I guess you and I are traditionalists, not that there's anything wrong with that! Just wanted to let you know I feel your pain.
Anyway, good luck to all the IIAC, oops, I mean, American River teams. From Old Raider to Old Dutch, hang in there. ☠🏈😢
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

AndOne

One of the most disappointing aspects regarding the name change to American Rivers is the fact that it cost the conference good money that could have been better used either to A) further promote the conference under the old IIAC name or, if the name HAD to be changed, B) come up with a much better name that would have been much more descriptive of the geographical makeup of the conference, such as CCIN or COIN. That the conference actually paid to come up with the ARC name and corresponding new logo, is shortsighted at best.

Secondly, I've read about the member institutions' Presidents being involved. All I can think about that is perhaps the Presidents should concentrate on what they excel at, namely the academic direction, policy, and administration of their schools. Do they have the right to foster the name change? Certainly. But that, undoubtedly, wasn't their most brilliant move in furthering the name brand identification of their various schools.

I'd guess Nebraska Wesleyan thought they were entering the Iowa Conference with a possible future name change to include them in the conference name in a way that would more accurately reflect their geographical location. The fact is that  Lincoln is about 55 miles west of the Missouri River which seems to be what is generally thought of as the western boundary of the ARC. 👎

As far as the conference slogan "Rivers Rising" perhaps the powers that be forgot that when that happens, the result is often something you don't really want to contend with. It's called flooding! 😏

Saw a brochure recently advertising a fall Great American River cruise from Pittsburgh to Louisville. Along the way it passes the towns of Dubuque, Decorah, Waverly, Storm Lake, Cedar Rapids, Pella, Indianola, and Lincoln! 🤥 🤫

Old Dutch

Quote from: MUC57 on August 14, 2018, 07:15:55 AM

Old Dutch

Hope you don't mind if an "outsider" jumps in. I'm on your side, perhaps because I am also an old fart. And I'm the real deal (Mount Union class of 1957). Now that's old.
IIAC, to me, had meaning. It brought to mind the great Central teams of the past. Wartburg has gained some national prominence. And all the Iowa teams come to mind.
But American Rivers? I can close my eyes and what do I see? I see the Ohio River, the Missouri River, and of course the Mighty Mississippi River as well as a host of others. Wasn't American Rivers a documentary on PBS?
Don't know what would happen if the Ohio Athletic Conference (OAC) changed it's name. How about "The Rust Belt conference"? "The Flatlands Conference"
I guess you and I are traditionalists, not that there's anything wrong with that! Just wanted to let you know I feel your pain.
Anyway, good luck to all the IIAC, oops, I mean, American River teams. From Old Raider to Old Dutch, hang in there. ☠🏈😢

Thanks for commiserating over the inevitable river of change MUC57.  I believe this was accredited to Abe Lincoln, " Be Proud of where you come from and live your life so that where you come from is proud of you!"  I'm a political progressive, but when it comes to my alma mater I am a traditionalist.  From Schipper through Kac and Mac flows Central Pride,  After all, if you can't be proud of your alma mater, what can you be proud of. 

Go Dutch!
61 consecutive seasons without a losing season
IIAC/ARC champs 39, 45, 46, 56, 64, 65, 66, 67, 74, 77, 78, 81, 83, 84, 85, 86, 87, 89, 90, 92, 94, 95, 98, 00, 01, 02, 05, 06, 07, 09, 19, 21
NCAA Playoffs 74, 77, 78, 84, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90, 92, 94, 95, 98, 99, 00, 01, 02, 05, 06, 07, 09, 19, 21
Stagg Bowls 74, 84, 89
National Champs 1974

doolittledog

I anyone is interested in doing a pick-em this year, I am pretty sure I can talk my wife into running it again this season.  I have 2 weeks to beg and plead with her  ;)
Coach Finstock - "There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that and everything else is cream cheese."

Alfredeneumann

New conference name ... same old team picked to win it. ;D

http://rollrivers.com/news/2018/8/15/wartburg-football-tops-american-rivers-conference-preseason-coaches-poll.aspx

"The Wartburg College Knights are the coaches' choice to win the 2018 American Rivers Conference Football title. Wartburg was chosen first on seven ballots (coaches do not vote on their own team) and earned 63 points to earn the No.1 ranking. 2017 conference runner-up, Central, garnered 53 points and one first-place vote to take the No.2 spot. Coming in third was Dubuque, with 50 points. The Simpson Storm tallied 41 points and one first-place vote as the fourth-place team in the poll. One point separated fifth-place Luther and sixth-place Coe, collecting 32 and 31 points respectively. In seventh was Nebraska Wesleyan with 23 points, followed by Loras with 20 points, and Buena Vista with 11 points. "
Aaron Kampman on Coach Ed Thomas
I believe his greatest legacy comes not in how many football games he won or lost but in the fact that he was a committed follower of Jesus Christ.

Purple Heys

Quote from: doolittledog on August 16, 2018, 10:13:05 AM
I anyone is interested in doing a pick-em this year, I am pretty sure I can talk my wife into running it again this season.  I have 2 weeks to beg and plead with her  ;)

I understand she is a recent fan of New Zealand wine...this might be easier than you think.
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Purple Heys

American Rivers Conference, tho...Thank you Cornell.
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Fannosaurus Rex

I always liked Johnny Rivers.  Joan...not so much.
"It ain't what ya do, it's the way how ya do it.  It ain't what ya eat, it's the way how ya chew it."  Little Richard

02 Warhawk

If anyone is interested, I have one spot open for the West Region Fan Poll this season. If it you want to join just shoot me a personal message.

Much appreciated!

doolittledog

Dubuque will have a joint practice with UW-Lacrosse today.

https://twitter.com/DubuqueFootball/status/1030472273017413633

My wife tells me I have to work and earn a living today, so won't make the trip over to check it out.

She added she has an app that tracks where I am so if I tell her I'm running into town to get some gas and don't come back for 5 hours she will know what I did  ;)