FB: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wally_wabash

Really solid road effort from Wabash on Saturday.  After falling behind 13-10 in the 2nd quarter, Wabash took total control and obviously outscored OWU 35-0 from that point forward.  Really impressive work by Wabash to turn that 13-10 deficit into a 31-13 halftime advantage.  2nd quarters have been pretty good for the LGs this year.  I was surprised to see over 500 yards of offense out of the Little Giants.  It didn't seem like they had amassed that much while I watched the game, but it's good to see that number there.  Wabash's yardage output hasn't exactly been in sync with their scoring output over the last couple of years.  A 500 yard day tells me that Wabash did a good job of moving the chains and sustaining drives.  Good job. 

The defense did their usual good work on Saturday as well.  A slight overplay led to the long TD for OWU's second score, but after that there weren't too many slip ups.  I was most impressed with Wabash's work on Orsini as a runner- the sophomore QB's longest run of the day was just 4 yards which speaks to great focus on their biggest weapon and containing him when pass plays break down.  Really good work there. 

Definitely interesting to see Rice get worked into the rotation in the offense.  I'll be tracking this to see if Rice's snaps increase over the next three weeks from something like 3-1 against OWU to 2-1 or even 1-1 over the next three games with Kenyon, Hiram, and Oberlin.  Wabash has these next three weeks to tinker and fine tune before the de facto playoffs start on 11/9. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

wally_wabash

Quote from: bashbrother on October 13, 2014, 11:22:36 AM
Folks....  this years Depauw team is good and getting better every week.   I know Wally has a pretty detailed look at how interesting the end of the 2014 conference season could get in his typewriter.   I watched them play Oberlin,  their offense is becoming very efficient.  I would have liked to see them play Witt in the 2nd half of the season.  Me thinks the Monon Bell Game is going to be one to watch in person.

Wally's post later this week will be a good read.

Hopefully I don't disappoint.   :)

So here's the deal with DePauw.  I'm officially declaring them pretty good (and either I'm right, or they'll lay an egg against OWU this week and this will all be moot).  The Tigers are 4-1, 3-1 in league play.  Based on what I know today about the teams in the league, I think DePauw is a favorite the rest of the way until 11/16.  Should they win the games that I think they should (as in, all of them between now and Monon Bell), and Wabash wins their game at Witt on 11/6, the Monon Bell is going to come along with a share of the NCAC title and maybe just maybe a playoff spot for DePauw (if not the AQ with that win, a 9-1 DePauw team fresh off of a win against a top 10 team could be pretty sexy in the C Pool).  While it's not the winner take all Monon Bell that we hypothesized about when DPU joined the league, it's pretty darn close.  Now, who would get the AQ in that hypothetical, I don't know.  My first guess is that that kind of thing would either come down to road records in the league (does not favor DePauw with the loss at Witt) or which team has the longest win streak (would definitely favor DePauw).  I just don't remember which of those tiebreaks comes first in the pecking order.  I would assume the power rank thing has been scrapped.  Check that.  I would HOPE that the power rank thing has been scrapped. 

Wooster still lingers around with the potential to throw all kinds of mud at this thing if they were to knock off Wittenberg on Saturday.  I don't know if we can get a 4-way tie because Wooster and DePauw still have to play and they each already have a loss, and I can't see a scenario where four teams lose twice. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

smedindy

I don't think there can be a four-way tie this year. It could happen, though, and may if Wooster and DPU continue their upward trends, and OWU and Denison starts clicking as well. Then, the NCAC will be really fun!

wally_wabash

We're halfway through the season...seems like a good time to check in around the league. 

Allegheny (1-4, 1-3) - The Gators have scored 75 points through five games which is ten more points than scored in 2013.  Safe to say that the Gators have improved a bunch over last year.  Are they very good?  Not really, but they did pull off a road win against a red hot Hiram team.  Kidding aside, Allegheny had a LONG uphill climb after totally bottoming out last year.  They've made strides.  I don't think they can win against DePauw, Witt, or Denison, but they do have winnable games left with Oberlin this week and Kenyon down the road.  3-7 doesn't cut the mustard with that program's history, but if they could get those three wins, I think the realist could see that as a positive season in Meadville. 

Denison (2-4, 1-4) - The front end of Denison's league schedule was brutal and their record reflects the challenge.  I think this team has three layups to close the season.  5-5 hinges on the lantern game with Wooster in two weeks.  Two things keeping Denison from springing any upsets in the front half of the year- red zone execution which got them against Witt and Wabash and a defense that is yielding 30+ ppg to teams that aren't Earlham.  That 8 turnover game at Hiram will stick in their craw for awhile. 

DePauw (4-1, 3-1) - Huge turnaround from 2013...or really from 2012 to the first half of 2013.  DePauw closed 2013 on a bit of a roll and that has continued into this season.  The Tigers are taking care of the ball.  Aside from the 7 turnover disaster in Springfield, DePauw has only given it away two other times in their other four games.  The defense is giving up just 15 ppg.  They are converting 49% of their third downs and they are getting their defense off the field on third downs (32.9%...just behind Wabash's 30.9%).  Matt Hunt is completing just 55% of his throws which is just 8th best amongst NCAC starters, but as long as they can run, convert third downs, and not give the ball away, they can get away with that.  They're doing it so far, and the results speak for themselves.  Probably getting close to time for top 25 voters to take a peek at this team. 

Hiram (3-3, 2-3) - A lot of good vibes out in Terrier land, and really, why not?  .500 at this point in the season is a great thing for this program. Obviously, the high point is going to be their thumping of Denison, but you really saw that this was a different Terrier team in week 1 and their giant comeback against Westminster.  Old Hiram teams don't come back from that far down.  Looking ahead, they've got two weeks to get ready for OWU.  As discussed, that might be the game they need to have a .500 season.  And if they don't get that fifth win, they'll have a tough time swallowing the Allegheny game, but all in all, Hiram is having a good season.  Hopefully this momentum carries forward. 

Kenyon (0-5, 0-4) - Unfortunately, as some teams get better it's going to come at the expense of other teams.  This year, it's Kenyon that is taking a step back.  I think we might scratch our heads a bit at the Oberlin result, but the one that really stands out as a disappointment is the opening week loss to Marietta.  Last year, Kenyon announced their presence with a blitzkrieg in Meadville.  It may be that that loss to Marietta did for them what they did to Allegheny a year ago.  Unfortunately, Kenyon's back half is stacked with Wabash, Witt, Wooster, and Denison- all teams that I believe will overwhelm the Lords.  The one remaining chance to avoid taking the bagel this year will be at home against an Allegheny team that probably hasn't forgotten Kenyon faking punts up big on them last year. 

Oberlin (1-4, 1-3) - Oberlin's front half has been rough.  Brockport State was a challenge to open up, and games with Wooster, Witt, and DePauw haven't gone well.  The Yeomen are giving up nearly 50 ppg, and no matter what kinds of fun things you can do on offense, you don't win when you're giving up 50.  The good news is that aside from a game with Wabash, they don't see many stingy defenses in the second half, so we might see the Yeomen scratch out a couple more wins before we're done. 

Ohio Wesleyan (3-2, 2-2) - The Bishops had a pretty favorable schedule in the first half and we've seen some really good things from Dominick Orsini.  He won't be fun to defend for two more years.  The Bishops let one get away late at Denison which is unfortunate because they have upcoming games with DePauw, Witt, and Wooster plus they'll get Hiram coming off of a bye.  That Hiram game is probably the difference between sub-.500 and not for the Bishops (as it is for Hiram).

Wabash (5-0, 4-0) - Wabash's defense has done their thing so far in 2014.  First in total defense, scoring defense, scoring offense, second in total offense (by one yard per game less than Wooster).  You're going to win a lot of games when you lead the league in those categories.  Wabash also has the best non-league result in the NCAC with their big win in the Gentlemen's Classic (H-SC is currently rolling and back in the top 25).  As discussed, Wabash wants to get better converting third downs and to get a cleaner in the penalty area.  Side note on penalties- The two most penalized teams in the league are Wabash and Witt (essentially equal)...I don't think penalties have a giant impact on W/L records.  You know what...scrolling through the league stats just now, it's ridiculous how many categories Wabash is first or second in.  Offense, defense, special teams...all phases.  We worry too much.  This team is playing really, really well. 

Wittenberg (4-1, 4-0) - Witt has been quite good including their opening game loss against Butler.  I know they were a little blasé against Denison but 1) Denison is probably better than we generally give them credit for and 2) I don't think Witt is going to open up the kimono against Denison when Wooster is coming the next week.  If there is a cause for concern with the Tigers, it's that their rushing stats are down a bit.  Witt is rushing for 2.8 yards per carry.  That's not good and that's not Wittenberg football.  That was a 5.0 ypc team last year.  Jenkins has been pretty good stepping in for Florence, but Witt wins league titles when they can run and they aren't doing a great job in that area right now.  I look for Sean Gary to get it going this week against Wooster.  They'll need him to step up. 

Wooster (3-2, 3-1) - Couple of tough games with W&J and Wabash, but Wooster has a chance to get a big time win at home this weekend and set themselves up for a November game against DePauw which could well be the win that gets Wooster a share of a league title if things break right in November. 

DPU3619

I'll get my first look at DePauw this weekend vs Kenyon. Excited to finally get down to see them.

wally_wabash

You guys get OWU on Saturday which should make more slightly better viewing.   :)

DPU3619

Quote from: wally_wabash on October 14, 2014, 10:39:26 AM
You guys get OWU on Saturday which should make more slightly better viewing.   :)

Even better. Already beat Kenyon. Also, in related news, I can't read a schedule.

ExTartanPlayer

This is the football board, but a story worth sharing...

http://www.local12.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/one-last-game-18984.shtml

Kudos to Hiram and MSJ for making this happen.  Here's hoping that she makes it to November 2. 
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

HCAlum86

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on October 14, 2014, 11:05:17 AM

http://www.local12.com/news/features/top-stories/stories/one-last-game-18984.shtml

Kudos to Hiram and MSJ for making this happen.  Here's hoping that she makes it to November 2.

An absolutely terrific story. I was really pleased to see that we accommodated the travel situations.
July 13, 1904
Hiram College wins the inter-collegiate basketball world championship at the World's Fair Universal Exposition Olympic Games in St. Louis, Missouri. Final score: Hiram, 25; Latter Day Saints University, 18.

SaintsFAN

Quote from: HCAlum86 on October 14, 2014, 01:29:50 PM

An absolutely terrific story. I was really pleased to see that we accommodated the travel situations.

I'm hoping she makes it to November 2nd.  She's from the small town in Indiana that I now live in and by all accounts is a remarkable young lady.  My niece went to school with her.  Kudos to Hiram for doing the right thing.
AMC Champs: 1991-1992-1993-1994-1995
HCAC Champs: 2000, 2001
PAC Champs:  2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016
Bridge Bowl Champs:  1990-1991-1992-1993-1994-1995-2002-2003-2006-2008-2009-2010-2011-2012-2013 (SERIES OVER)
Undefeated: 1991, 1995, 2001, 2009, 2010, 2015
Instances where MSJ quit the Bridge Bowl:  2

Wabash Hokie

Quote from: SaintsFAN on October 14, 2014, 02:27:29 PM

I'm hoping she makes it to November 2nd.  She's from the small town in Indiana that I now live in and by all accounts is a remarkable young lady.  My niece went to school with her.  Kudos to Hiram for doing the right thing.

And to the NCAA for allowing Hiram to make the move.  No bad guys here.  Will be keeping eyes on the news for how this turns out.

badgerwarhawk

It's a very touching story and I'm glad that all of the parties were able to come together and make this happen for her. 
"Just think twice is my only advice."

Mr. Ypsi

It took me a while to post because I couldn't see the screen thru my tears.

+k to XTP for sharing the story.

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: Wabash Hokie on October 14, 2014, 02:55:34 PM
Quote from: SaintsFAN on October 14, 2014, 02:27:29 PM

And to the NCAA for allowing Hiram to make the move.  No bad guys here.  Will be keeping eyes on the news for how this turns out.

Agreed.  I bash the NCAA a lot for doing wrong, so I'll give them credit for getting this one right.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

Li'l Giant

Wow, kudos to everyone involved in making her dream come true. I hope she gets to do it.

+k to ETP for sharing that story.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.