FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scots13

MC has Greensboro and NCWC left on the schedule. Can't be any better for Maryville. Just beat Greensboro.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

hasanova

Quote from: Scots13 on October 29, 2018, 12:13:30 PM
MC has Greensboro and NCWC left on the schedule. Can't be any better for Maryville. Just beat Greensboro.
I don't think beating Greensboro will be too tough for the Scots.  The Pride are not very good this season.

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: hasanova on October 29, 2018, 08:45:28 PM
I don't think beating Greensboro will be too tough for the Scots.  The Pride are not very good this season.

So does the USASAC come down to NCWC and MC Week 11?

Hawks88

Quote from: MANDGSU on October 30, 2018, 10:38:02 AM

If Maryville beats Greensboro and Huntingdon beats NCWC this week then Maryville clinches the AQ. They would still need to beat NCWC next week to win the conference outright unless Averett were to lose one.

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: Hawks88 on October 30, 2018, 11:15:56 AM

If Maryville beats Greensboro and Huntingdon beats NCWC this week then Maryville clinches the AQ. They would still need to beat NCWC next week to win the conference outright unless Averett were to lose one.

Okay, I was confused with Scots post about beating Greensboro, which I though the statement was implying that if Maryville beats Greensboro, they'd be conference champs.

Hawks88

Quote from: MANDGSU on October 30, 2018, 11:26:23 AM
Quote from: Hawks88 on October 30, 2018, 11:15:56 AM

Okay, I was confused with Scots post about beating Greensboro, which I though the statement was implying that if Maryville beats Greensboro, they'd be conference champs.
If Maryville beats Greensboro then they do clinch a share of the conference title. They just need other stuff to happen to get the AQ.

hasanova

It is possible for a 3-way tie if NCWC beats Maryville, AU wins out, MC beats GC and NCWC beats HC.  It would be AU beat NCWC, NCWC beat MC and MC beat AU.  In this case, the Head-to-Head cannot be the AQ tie-breaker.

BerryCollegeFan

that's several things to happen.  any ideas what the tie breakers are if needed?

Hawks88

No clue. Not any on the conference web site that I can find.

hasanova

Quote from: BerryCollegeFan on November 01, 2018, 08:28:31 PM
that's several things to happen.  any ideas what the tie breakers are if needed?
Sometimes, it's the team that hasn't been to the playoffs in the longest period of time ... but I'm not at all sure how the USASAC does it.

Scots13

Sorry--jumped the gun a little. Yes, share. No, AQ on Saturday.

Jumping in the way back machine to 2012, MC was in a 3 way tie with CNU and Ferrum. Maryville beat Ferrum and Methodist beat CNU on the last week of the season. CNU beat Maryville a couple weeks before.  The tie was at 5-2 in USAC play. CNU got the tie breaker and the AQ. 

Ferrum ended up 7-3 and both Maryville and CNU were 6-4, but CNU finished 6-5 after a 1st Round at Mt. Union.

This tells me 2 things: 1) overall record doesn't mean anything and 2) longest absenteeism from the playoff wouldn't matter (Maryville would have been AQ that year I believe in that situation).

Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

hasanova

Quote from: Scots13 on November 02, 2018, 08:13:54 AM

Jumping in the way back machine to 2012, MC was in a 3 way tie with CNU and Ferrum. Maryville beat Ferrum and Methodist beat CNU on the last week of the season. CNU beat Maryville a couple weeks before.  The tie was at 5-2 in USAC play. CNU got the tie breaker and the AQ. 

Ferrum ended up 7-3 and both Maryville and CNU were 6-4, but CNU finished 6-5 after a 1st Round at Mt. Union.

This tells me 2 things: 1) overall record doesn't mean anything and 2) longest absenteeism from the playoff wouldn't matter (Maryville would have been AQ that year I believe in that situation).
Well, you are describing a 5-2 three-way tie.  I was describing a 6-1 three-way tie.   When there is a second conference loss there is a tie-breaker for results against other teams.  In a one-loss scenario, this can't happen.  There was a 4-way tie among two-loss teams in the ODAC in 2014 so I know how the other teams fared applied in that situation.  Once two were eliminated, then it was head-to-head among the remaining two.

Scots13

Quote from: hasanova on November 02, 2018, 10:33:04 AM
Quote from: Scots13 on November 02, 2018, 08:13:54 AM

Well, you are describing a 5-2 three-way tie.  I was describing a 6-1 three-way tie.   When there is a second conference loss there is a tie-breaker for results against other teams.  In a one-loss scenario, this can't happen.  There was a 4-way tie among two-loss teams in the ODAC in 2014 so I know how the other teams fared applied in that situation.  Once two were eliminated, then it was head-to-head among the remaining two.

I see your point, hasa.

I looked at the archives on CNU's website. They beat both MC and Ferrum that year so had the h2h on both schools. They lost to LaGrange and Methodist that year.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Hawks88

Congrats to Maryville. Glad we could help.  ::)

Scots13

Quote from: Hawks88 on November 03, 2018, 04:10:45 PM
Congrats to Maryville. Glad we could help.  ::)

Very convincing way to help!

Back to Berry again?
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!