FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Scots13

Quote from: Hawks88 on February 15, 2017, 06:20:11 PM
Quote from: Scots13 on February 14, 2017, 08:18:02 PM
Welcome to the boards.

I'm looking forward to seeing Brevard's schedule as well. I see on their website they will be releasing it soon--that will tell us if we are going 8 conference games or 7. Wouldn't be surprised if it's 8 this year and 7 next year.

Why would it be 7 next year?

Basing that off of 2013 with 7 conference and 3 OOC games with the addition of Huntingdon and CNU still in the USAC. Plus, I'm sure the ODAC is petitioning Tom Hart to do it to help alleviate some scheduling pressure.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Hawks88

According to this tweet Ben Fox, Huntingdon's Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach, has taken the same position at Centre.

https://twitter.com/CentreFootball/status/833875309195829248

Scots13

Quote from: Hawks88 on February 22, 2017, 04:04:30 PM
According to this tweet Ben Fox, Huntingdon's Offensive Coordinator/QB Coach, has taken the same position at Centre.

Tim Conner also left recently to be an Offensive Analyst at Temple.

Coach Turk has an impressive coaching tree under him--Mike Rader now at ETSU and defensive coach that was at UT for a time to drop a couple. Ansley I think is the name?
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Hawks88

Quote from: Scots13 on February 23, 2017, 04:18:44 PM
Quote from: Hawks88 on February 22, 2017, 04:04:30 PM

Tim Conner also left recently to be an Offensive Analyst at Temple.

Coach Turk has an impressive coaching tree under him--Mike Rader now at ETSU and defensive coach that was at UT for a time to drop a couple. Ansley I think is the name?
Yep, Derrick Ansley is at Alabama now.

Also, Jimmy Rich, defensive assistant at John Carroll.

hasanova

Talked to a Guilford official over the weekend who said Greensboro asked to not play the GCQ/GCP Soup Bowl "at this time".  Sounds like Greensboro wanted to revitalize their program before they reenter a game with Guilford ... so after 20 years it's on hiatus.  I can't say I blame Greensboro, Guilford has won four in a row and the last three years by a cumulative 198-13 score.

Scots13

I wonder if Greensboro has ever contemplated going the way of Maranatha Baptist and dropping its football program?

(Full disclosure: this statement is a means to get a conversation going in the offset. Kinda serious, but then again, kinda not.)

Greensboro by the numbers:
1-9: last year's record
4: 2016's shutouts (214-0 against Guilford, Ferrum, NCWC, and Huntingdon) and lost 52-6 to Averett and 70-14 to Maryville.
5-5: best record they've had since adding football, have only seen that twice in the last 10 years.
700: total enrollment, give or take a few, according to Pat and Crew on d3football.com
1000: total enrollment, give or take a few, according to greensboro.edu
100: Players reported to camp
72: Players on roster
56: Freshman retention rate
10,000: seats in the high school stadium used for home games (granted there probably isn't much room to add an on-campus facility in Greensboro)
1,234: Average home attendance in 2015

I'm not saying they should drop it, I'm trying to stir the pot and get a discussion going.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Marantha was in a different position. No conference and an inability to actually get enough players on campus is different than an inability to get competitive players on campus. Frankly, I'm guessing Greensboro needs those players paying tuition, as many as they can get. Marantha probably did too, but they gave up on actually being able to get them. Plus the costs of not being in a conference were burdensome for Marantha.

No, I'd say Greensboro considers having a football team a net positive, even if they struggle to win more than a game a year. If they stop bringing 100 to camp, and start having 40 or so on the roster, it may change quickly. But barring that, the benefits of having the team outweighs the inability of the team to win a game.

Scots13

I would agree with your points. Better days may lay ahead for Greensboro.

I'd like to know what impact having 20+ "one and done" kids have on some football programs in our region.
According to MC's athletics website, there were 133 football participants in 2016 with an operating expense (team travel, lodging, and meals; uniforms and equipment; and officials) of $111,200 ($836 per participant). This figure does not include salaries for the head coach, 6 full time assistants, and 2 part time assistants.

Revenue for the football team was $775,849. No idea if salaries have been subtracted from this number.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on March 06, 2017, 01:30:45 PM
I would agree with your points. Better days may lay ahead for Greensboro.

I'd like to know what impact having 20+ "one and done" kids have on some football programs in our region.
According to MC's athletics website, there were 133 football participants in 2016 with an operating expense (team travel, lodging, and meals; uniforms and equipment; and officials) of $111,200 ($836 per participant). This figure does not include salaries for the head coach, 6 full time assistants, and 2 part time assistants.

Revenue for the football team was $775,849. No idea if salaries have been subtracted from this number.

Quite frankly a "one and done" is a net positive for a small liberal arts school. Those schools have their highest revenue, per student, based on first years. First years live on campus and are required to purchase the food plan. They generally sit in the largest and most basic classes, which means they are in the cheapest class per student to teach. Finally, they tend to purchase the most amount of stuff at the campus store. Mainly because they start with very little and need to do things like decorate and wear t-shirts, etc.

First years tend to be high revenue, and that tends to decrease as students get older, move off campus, drop meal plans, and take smaller, higher level classes. So then it's just a matter of how much monetary support from the school the "one and dones" are getting. Regardless, reputation wise it's not good to have a ton of transfers, revenue wise there is some benefit to the concept.

Scots13

Greensboro has the third lowest retention rate in the USAC at 56%.
Others include:
Maryville 72%
NCWC 54%
Methodist 62%
Ferrum 48% (down in the last 5 years from 59%)
Averett 55%
LaGrange 61%
Huntingdon 64%
Brevard 59%

The highest 2 retention rates were from non-football schools in Covenant (85%) and Agnes Scott (84%). Only 2 non-football were lower than 70% with Wesleyan at 67% and William Peace at 64%.

For reference, here are a few ODAC retention rates:
HSC 83%
W&L 97%
E&H 73%
Guilford 74%
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Geez those numbers are staggering. I think I was a little too sheltered at W&L. I can't imagine the pressure these schools are under to find even marginally qualified students to fill these classes knowing 40-50% of them aren't coming back the next year. I know we've convinced everyone to go to college, but at some point we have to realize that a good carpenter or plumber has better job prospects than a sociology degree from Fog a Mirror U.

Scots13

We live in a world where all 10th graders are "#D1Bound". If anything other than D1 seems to be beneath them, wouldn't being an HVAC technician be, too?
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on March 06, 2017, 03:59:27 PM
We live in a world where all 10th graders are "#D1Bound". If anything other than D1 seems to be beneath them, wouldn't being an HVAC technician be, too?

Well yeah. But I'm not even thinking about football, I'm thinking school retention in general. Someone has to be a carpenter and a plumber and an hvac guy. We live in a service economy. The fewer people want to pursue those services, the more demand and higher prices they will command. Is it better to be working at Starbucks with a degree in sociology from Fog a Mirror U, or be a finish carpenter with a completed apprenticeship and a list of contractors that need help? I know the general answer is a college degree is preferable, but I'm not sure that is always the case anymore. If one of my kids doesn't want to go to college, he or she will have the choice to learn a trade. H.S. can't be the end of your education, but I'm no longer positive that an undergraduate degree is always the best way forward. Especially at schools that retain only 50% of their enrolled kids, and have admittance rates of 70%+.

tigerFanAlso2

Or you can be blue collar with a college degree; friend of mine graduated W&L in 1980 and has been a painter ever since he graduated; not an artist, a residential home painter and loves it. His Dad almost killed him when he choose his career path.

Scots13

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on March 08, 2017, 10:12:59 AM
Or you can be blue collar with a college degree; friend of mine graduated W&L in 1980 and has been a painter ever since he graduated; not an artist, a residential home painter and loves it. His Dad almost killed him when he choose his career path.

Blue Collar with a degree might be going to the wayside with the rising cost of education. I'm not one of those "make everything free" guys, but I do have an issue with loan repayments. I'm make my argument as fast as possible...

Federal loans (subsidized or not) come from the Department of Education (DOE), a federal agency**. Personally, I have 8 federal loans I make one monthly payment on. A couple of the loans are at 3.4%, one or two around 5%, and four loans at 6.8%. WHAT? 6.8%? The gov'ment sure did take advantage of an 18 year old kid on those loans. The prime rate is around 3.75%, yet many of us are paying almost twice that. That's a big steaming pile of BS.

**I point out federal agency for the simple fact that the money is, for all intents and purposes, guaranteed. The DOE's budget comes from taxes. I pay taxes. If I don't, they place a tax lien on me. They take my assets. They get their money. Boom.        Does anyone else see things the way I do?

If politicians want to make college more affordable, all they have to do is make repayment of federal, guaranteed money more affordable. Set the interest rates at that particular year's prime rate and move on.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!