FB: USA South Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:14:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tigerFanAlso2

Hard to argue but I learned along time ago, don't hold your breath waiting for a politician to do the right thing.

As a father with two currently in college and one that graduated in 2015, I'm well aware of the financial stress caused by cost of obtaining a four year degree. Problem is, most are forced to obtain a graduate degree of some sort, and those fees are even more expensive. I personally think the cost is beginning to out weight the benefit. Community College campuses will be exploding even more as cost continue to rise at tradition colleges and universities. The model is broken, time well tell if it can be fixed.

jknezek

Honestly, I think the most important thing we can do is stop equating Blue Collar with Low Class. I like the story about the guy being a house painter, but what a waste of money his degree was! I get at 17 or 18 we don't know what we want to be. That's not going to change. So you can't lock someone in. But that has to hurt!

I like to build furniture in my spare time. Our house is slowly being dotted with my own hobby, which fortunately my wife supports since our style is simple and chunky. I've also done a few custom pieces for friends here and there on commission. Could I have been happy being a finish carpenter? Hard to tell, but at 17 I wouldn't have even considered it. Nor would my parents have encouraged it.

That's the best thing about college. It gives you a few more years to make those decisions. And those are years most of us need. But the cost of those few more years sure is getting ridiculous.

tigerFanAlso2

never said blue collar equates to low class, don even think I implied it. most of my family works blue collar jobs(not requiring a college degree) either in the construction world or at one of the local industrial plants; not college educated is my point, certainly not low class. 

Scots13

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on March 08, 2017, 12:29:03 PM
never said blue collar equates to low class, don even think I implied it. most of my family works blue collar jobs(not requiring a college degree) either in the construction world or at one of the local industrial plants; not college educated is my point, certainly not low class.

I don't think he was specifically calling you out, I think he meant society as a whole.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on March 08, 2017, 12:40:58 PM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on March 08, 2017, 12:29:03 PM

I don't think he was specifically calling you out, I think he meant society as a whole.

This. I hadn't seen it on the boards, it's just a prevailing societal thing that needs to change. Didn't mean to imply you had.

tigerFanAlso2

Never thought JK was calling me out. He really could have done so after W&L put up 52 on my Tigers, but even then, he choose not to.

I was just clarifying. I'm not a big believer in the need for a college degree, any person can always "make it" in this world w/o one. 

Scots13

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on March 08, 2017, 01:09:45 PM
Never thought JK was calling me out. He really could have done so after W&L put up 52 on my Tigers, but even then, he choose not to.

I was just clarifying. I'm not a big believer in the need for a college degree, any person can always "make it" in this world w/o one.

You must be the definition of a scholar and a gentleman, jk.
Where Chilhowee's lofty mountains pierce the southern blue, proudly stands our Alma Mater
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

Scots13

Looks like I heard wrong...Maryville is playing E&H this year.
Berry has confirmed Week 1 against MC, and MC is at home this year against Hanover. That's 3 OOC games and 8 conference teams this year. I wonder who's out?
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

jknezek

Quote from: Scots13 on March 08, 2017, 01:12:48 PM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on March 08, 2017, 01:09:45 PM

You must be the definition of a scholar and a gentleman, jk.

Don't give me that much credit. I did call out your defense a bit, but I also know what goes around comes around and my Generals are going to be pretty young this year...

Hawks88

Quote from: Scots13 on March 08, 2017, 01:49:22 PM
Berry has confirmed Week 1 against MC, and MC is at home this year against Hanover. That's 3 OOC games and 8 conference teams this year. I wonder who's out?
Hmm. So three schools have published their 2017 schedules with Maryville as an out-of-conference game. Is it possible that Maryville doesn't play Brevard this first season in order to finish those contracts? It isn't like the Brevard game counts as a DIII conference game yet anyway so I guess it's possible.

Scots13

Quote from: Hawks88 on March 08, 2017, 03:09:40 PM
Quote from: Scots13 on March 08, 2017, 01:49:22 PM
Hmm. So three schools have published their 2017 schedules with Maryville as an out-of-conference game. Is it possible that Maryville doesn't play Brevard this first season in order to finish those contracts? It isn't like the Brevard game counts as a DIII conference game yet anyway so I guess it's possible.

I'd assume you're correct. Ferrum, Methodist, and LaGrange also have their schedules out, making a total of 6 games already posted.
E&H is in a bind due to Catholic leaving the ODAC and Hanover did us a favor by playing out of region and picking us up last year after we had the one game with ETSU. I was hoping MC would play at Brevard this year so I could have a reason to go to Asheville, but if they don't play this year hopefully there is a Brevard home game during Maryville's bye week.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

hasanova

Quote from: jknezek on March 06, 2017, 12:51:37 PM
Marantha was in a different position. No conference and an inability to actually get enough players on campus is different than an inability to get competitive players on campus. Frankly, I'm guessing Greensboro needs those players paying tuition, as many as they can get. Marantha probably did too, but they gave up on actually being able to get them. Plus the costs of not being in a conference were burdensome for Marantha.

No, I'd say Greensboro considers having a football team a net positive, even if they struggle to win more than a game a year. If they stop bringing 100 to camp, and start having 40 or so on the roster, it may change quickly. But barring that, the benefits of having the team outweighs the inability of the team to win a game.
Bingo.

HSCTiger fan

I think the right coach could be very successful at Greensboro.  They haven't recruited very well.  They never called my son and he went to HS 15 minutes away at a HS with lots of potential D3 talent.  My son was a 2 year starter at HSC on 2 ODAC championship teams.  The Greensboro campus is beautiful, it's right beside UNCG, and it's in downtown Greensboro. It also has a reputation as offering a quality education. The fact that their stadium is at a local high school hurts but several USA south programs have or had really bad facilities.  NCW plays at a local HS, Methodist plays at a below average college facility and until last year Averett played at the worst facility I'd ever seen.  NCW and Averett won USA South championships playing at their facilities and MU went 8-2 a few years a go.

Until recently Guilford college was IMO in the same shoes as Greensboro (the schools are 10 minutes apart).  But Guilford hired a coach that is as meticulous in recruiting as he is in coaching.  Now they dominate local recruiting.  Academically I don't see much difference in the 2 schools and it's not like the Quakers can point to a long tradition of excellence in football and their facilities are - now that Catholic left - the worst in the ODAC.  Yet according to HASA GC has beat Greensboro 198-13 in the last 3 years!  The Greensboro coach is going into his second year.  Time will tell but there's nothing stoping Greensboro from being a winner.
Hampden Sydney College
ODAC Champions 77, 82, 83, 87, 07, 09, 11, 13, 14
NCAA Playoffs - 77, 07, 09, 10, 11, 13, 14
The "Game" 60 wins and counting...
11/18/2018 Wally referred to me as Chief and admitted "I don't know about that!"

Scots13

I agree that a coach can turn things around, but he can't do it all by himself. Administration and alumni support is needed, and from what I can tell, GC isn't getting much of either.

After Coach Ierulli was let go at Maryville, the administration was forced to renew their efforts into the football team (1/10th of the student body) and alums followed suit. You can see how that turned out. Even with 3 years of Ierulli recruits remaining, MC was better. It wasn't the recruiting, it was the culture.
NOBLE, GRAND, and TRUE.
TO THE HILL!

hasanova

Quote from: HSCTiger fan on March 08, 2017, 09:54:06 PM
I think the right coach could be very successful at Greensboro.  They haven't recruited very well.  They never called my son and he went to HS 15 minutes away at a HS with lots of potential D3 talent.  My son was a 2 year starter at HSC on 2 ODAC championship teams.  The Greensboro campus is beautiful, it's right beside UNCG, and it's in downtown Greensboro. It also has a reputation as offering a quality education. The fact that their stadium is at a local high school hurts but several USA south programs have or had really bad facilities.  NCW plays at a local HS, Methodist plays at a below average college facility and until last year Averett played at the worst facility I'd ever seen.  NCW and Averett won USA South championships playing at their facilities and MU went 8-2 a few years a go.

Until recently Guilford college was IMO in the same shoes as Greensboro (the schools are 10 minutes apart).  But Guilford hired a coach that is as meticulous in recruiting as he is in coaching.  Now they dominate local recruiting.  Academically I don't see much difference in the 2 schools and it's not like the Quakers can point to a long tradition of excellence in football and their facilities are - now that Catholic left - the worst in the ODAC.  Yet according to HASA GC has beat Greensboro 198-13 in the last 3 years!  The Greensboro coach is going into his second year.  Time will tell but there's nothing stoping Greensboro from being a winner.
I completely disagree on the highlighted point.

You're correct, Guilford's football facilities are probably last in the ODAC.  They are light years ahead of where they were, but still good by DIII standards.  That being said, however, saying Guilford's football facilities are the worst in the ODAC is kind of like saying Cornell is the worst school in the Ivy League.   We'll get there.