FB: College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:04:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ga_Colonel

Quote from: Mugsy on December 16, 2015, 08:17:50 PM
Complete speculation... but how do you know the circumstances upon his departure?

Fellow alum in college administration.

thunderdog

2015 season is in the books. Personally, I followed the playoffs much closer this year than years past. Gonna throw my final rankings out there, see what people think...

1. UMU
2a. UWW
2b. St Thomas
2c. UWO
5. Linfield
6. UMHB
7a. Wheaton
7b. St Johns
7c. Wesley
10. Wabash
11. Johns Hopkins
12. Thomas More
13. Hardin Simmons
14. UWP
15. NCC

Not sure after that, but in general, lots of parity for the next 10-15 teams.

There's quite a gap between UMU and whoever you want to put at #2. I don't think #2 is clear cut. St Thomas had quite a few "fortunate/lucky" plays go their way to make the final score vs UMU closer than the game really was, IMO. I think UST vs UWW and UST vs UWO would be classic even match ups. Then I'd say there's another slight gap between those 3 teams and the next group.

I do think both UWP and NCC would have both been tough outs in the playoffs if given the opportunity.

Anyway, it's been an enjoyable 2015 season. Looking forward to 2016!

Gotberg

Quote from: Gregory Sager on December 14, 2015, 07:52:46 PM
I'm going to be interviewing Mike Conway at halftime of tonight's NPU men's basketball game. He's always a good interview, so it might be worth listening.

Anything worth mentioning from the interview?
I spent a lot of money on booze, birds and fast cars. The rest I just squandered. - George Best

Mr. Ypsi

When Artie Checchin got injured, I opined that he had already done enough to be first-team all-CCIW, but that was probably the death-knell of OPOY (or whatever they call it).  I was right on the first part; how do others see the likelihood that a healthy Checchin would have been a viable OPOY candidate?

USee

His OPOY status would have been determined by his performance in the rest of that NCC game as well as the Wheaton game that followed. Depending on how he did, he would have definitely been in the conversation.

d3fan1515

Hello to the CCIW Board... BenU just hired their new head football coach and I was wondering if any of the Wheaton guys could give me some insight as to what we can expect from Coach Sears...  Thanks in advance.

It is with great pleasure that Benedictine University announces the hiring of Josiah Sears as the 28th head football coach in school history.

"I am extremely humbled and excited for the opportunity to work at Benedictine and lead the young men within the football program," Sears said. "Everything about the school, department, and program are impressive, and I am excited to use my experience and values, which align with both the university and department, to build a culture of excellence in every area of life."

Josiah Sears arrives at Benedictine for his first head coaching appointment after serving as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Wheaton College for the past three seasons. Wheaton posted consecutive unbeaten regular seasons for the first time in school history in 2014 and 2015, reaching the second round of the NCAA Playoffs each year, finishing with a record of 11-1 each of the past two seasons and finishing ranked in the top-10 nationally. Wheaton featured two All-American offensive linemen this year and sported a 30-4 record during the three years with Sears.

"Josiah demonstrated a detailed vision for our football program," Benedictine Director of Athletics Mark McHorney said. "Being able to clearly outline every aspect of the program was something that stood out with the screening committee. We were able to see what our program culture will be on the field, in the classroom, and in the community. I couldn't be more excited to welcome Josiah (Sears) and his outstanding pedigree to Benedictine. His commitment to excellence has been evident from his days as a player through his coaching career at two of the top programs in Division III. I'd like to thank the screening committee, office of enrollment, and Vice President for Student Life Marco Masini for their time and effort during this process."

Prior to joining Wheaton, Sears logged five years as the offensive coordinator and quarterbacks coach at Franklin College. Franklin made four appearances in the NCAA Playoffs with four wins during Sears' tenure, posting an overall record of 44-11 over the five years with four conference titles. Sears helped produce multiple offensive All-American selections at Franklin including a pair of quarterbacks who were also named as the Heartland Collegiate Athletic Conference Player of the Year. One of the quarterbacks was a finalist for the Gagliardi Trophy and the other set an NCAA single game record for completion percentage. Franklin set numerous school records while scoring just under 40 points per game and averaging just under 450 yards.

Sears played collegiately as a running back and fullback at Indiana University, working his way from a walk-on to scholarship player and was voted as a captain of the 2007 team along with current Chicago Bear Tracy Porter. Indiana broke a 14-year bowl drought during his final campaign, which saw the Indiana native score six touchdowns. Following his college career, Sears was offered tryouts with the Bears and Buffalo Bills.

Sears inherits a team that finished 7-3 this season under head coach Jon Cooper, who retired following the season. Benedictine lost to Lakeland College in the regular season finale to determine the conference champion. Benedictine has represented the Northern Athletics Collegiate Conference in the NCAA Playoffs three times in the past six seasons.

"I am impressed with Mark (McHorney) and his vision and leadership," Sears said. "I am excited to get started and contribute to the greatness of the institution."

Sears, who resides in Wheaton with his wife Lyndee, and two children, daughter Tinley (4), and son Boman (2), will be formally introduced to the Benedictine community at a luncheon on Tuesday, January 26.

Mugsy

Wheaton Football: CCIW Champs: 1950, 1953-1959, 1995, 2000, 2002-2004, 2006, 2008, 2012, 2014, 2015, 2019

wally_wabash

My sense is that Mike Leonard and Mike Swider are pretty good dudes to study under in prep for a first time HC gig.  I don't know what the candidate pool was for Benedictine, but this looks really good from an outsider's POV. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

USee

Great hire for BU. Big loss for Wheaton. That's two years out of three Wheaton has lost a coordinator to a head coaching position. The Thunder will be ok.

Sears is a great coach. Very intense and demanding of his players from my perspective. He could be heard from the press box at most home games but he is a very good person. Detail oriented. Really does a good job putting his players in position to make plays. I don't know much about him as a recruiter (he could be awesome) but he knows his X's and O's and kids seem to want to play for him. Who he hires on his staff will be telling.

If BU has the commitment to win and take the program to the next level (judging by the facility they built I would guess they do), I think Sears has the chops to get them there.

d3fan1515

USee

I think Wheaton dodged a bullet as Hope just hired a solid local HS head coach to fill their vacancy. I believe Jordan Langs, Wheaton's DC, was a finalist for the job. Langs is from Michigan and, at 26, would have been one of the younger head coaches. But keeping Langs is a huge win for the Thunder as they just lost Josiah Sears, their OC, to Benedictine.

I have to think Jesse Scott (current OLine coach) is the guy to become OC at Wheaton and then they will need to find an offensive QB/WR type coach to fill out the staff. Success has it's drawbacks.

izzy stradlin

Quote from: USee on January 28, 2016, 05:40:49 PM
I have to think Jesse Scott (current OLine coach) is the guy to become OC at Wheaton and then they will need to find an offensive QB/WR type coach to fill out the staff. Success has it's drawbacks.

I had been thinking that Swider would go outside the program for his next OC like he did with Davis and Sears, but maybe you're right about Scott.  Former Wheaton OLine coach Geoff Dartt is doing okay as an offensive coordinator. 

Also, I noticed Peltz (and Sigler) aren't playing baseball this spring.  While that's definitely a huge loss for the baseball team, it should make the transition with a new OC much easier having Johnny for spring ball. 

USee

Good moves all around. Keeping the continuity with the players by promoting from within. It's also likely that Sears was trying to bring one of these guys with him so Swider is smart to lock them up.

I had heard about JP11 focusing on FB. It's a good move for him as Bowers made substantive improvement with spring practice. I think Johnny will be well served to be with the FB guys during spring. I am sure the Baseball coach isn't too happy though. So be it.

Now we wait for the recruiting news. Another reason that makes Jesse Scott so valuable, he is a hard-nosed recruiter and the talent we have on the roster is in large part his hard work as the recruiting coordinator.

izzy stradlin

Wheaton picked up a big-time recruit:

Spencer Peterson (Brother of former Thunder and arena league offensive lineman Jesse Peterson)
6'5" 230 QB/DE.  Very athletic/agile.  Also a good basketball player.  Not sure if he stays at QB since he probably gets on the field sooner on defense or TE with what Wheaton has on the roster at QB (obviously Peltz this year but also rising soph Jesse Furrow down the line).

He's small school kid had to sit out his entire junior year for basketball and football due to a transfer rule that led to him flying under the D1 radar a bit recruiting wise.  Football recruits are really hard to project (compared to basketball at least) but this kid is gonna play. 

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/2878353/highlights/316198379

(news on the commitment courtesy of Titan Q on the MBB board)