BB: SCIAC: Southern California Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by Ralph Turner, December 31, 2005, 09:33:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Appalachian Mtns on January 21, 2017, 02:24:48 PM
I am hearing a roster of over 20 with more arms, which is a step in the right direction.

That's good news.  The Beavers rarely had the depth to compete in the SCIAC.

108 Stitches

AM, I would have given my eye teeth to have my son play for Cal Tech, a big congrats to your son and I hope they complete this year.

A great objective for them would be to try to win one game in a three game series during the season. If they can do this they will take a huge step towards a competitive program. Coaching staff should consider a reverse pitching strategy...

Appalachian Mtns

They should be better this year, but they need to focus on winning a conference game.  Winning 8 conference games out of 24 probably not in the cards, but I agree with your assessment, and pitching strategy.

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Appalachian Mtns on January 22, 2017, 08:19:09 PM
They should be better this year, but they need to focus on winning a conference game.  Winning 8 conference games out of 24 probably not in the cards, but I agree with your assessment, and pitching strategy.
A very sincere question to (as they say in modern parlance) to improve my knowledge base...

I have always wondered why MIT has a "stronger" (more W's) baseball program than Cal Tech.

What if MIT came west in the Spring for series of games on the West Coast?
Can you give me your impressions?

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 22, 2017, 09:36:15 PM
A very sincere question to (as they say in modern parlance) to improve my knowledge base...

I have always wondered why MIT has a "stronger" (more W's) baseball program than Cal Tech.

As an outside observer - my impressions.  MIT seems to be stronger than Caltech in most sports (they are often downright good in men's basketball).  One likely explanation comes from a vaguely remembered SI article about Caltech.  IIRC, the #1 recruit for the Caltech basketball team couldn't get admitted ... and ended up at his 'safety school', MIT!  (Only at Caltech could MIT be considered a 'safety school'! ;D)  So I suspect that even more rigorous admissions standards and an even less athletics-friendly 'culture' would be the primary culprits.

Purple Heys

Quote from: 108 Stitches on January 22, 2017, 07:47:34 PM
Coaching staff should consider a reverse pitching strategy...

Pretty much what they've already been doing...which reflects back to my earlier observation...that with better depth and a coach that won't let them give up, they may well turn out to be a bigger threat - to get that league game losing streak gorilla off their back.  The one they lost in extras to CMS last year was one that got away.

Maybe the top 2 or 3 teams in the SCIAC can still sleep walk by them this season, but the rest better not.
You can't leave me....all the plants will die.

Purple Heys

Quote from: Jack Parkman on January 21, 2017, 12:27:35 PM
This is pretty cool for Caltech...

https://twitter.com/caltechbaseball/status/811300842104037376

Not many teams in CA have turf but this will help in the rare occasion it rains.

Sure makes a Home Run ball hit out to Left Field look all the more impressive...

https://youtu.be/QKpcUeLWnjM

BigPoppa

Cal Tech is still my all-time favorite place to play. I have never heard better heckling from a student section anywhere I have ever coached.
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Appalachian Mtns

RT - I suspect that MIT's 5000 enrollment versus Caltech's 1000 enrollment has a lot to do with it.  I would like to believe Caltech's admission standards are more challenging than MIT's, but I doubt that is the case.  I would say that those standards are comparable.  MIT's advantage in my opinion is that the larger enrollment allows more flexibility from admissions to assist the athletic department in accepting some athletes with excellent credentials but below preferred test score ranges.  For example, if both institutions wants an average 35 ACT score for all enrolled students for a particular class, then MIT with 5 to 1 enrollment advantage, can have 8 non-athletic students with a 36, allowing them to pick up a LHP with a 31 and a power corner hitter with a 31, to average 35 ACT score among those 10 students.  Versus Caltech, accepting one non-athletic student with a 36, and one athlete needing a 34 to average the 35 ACT.  Such is the advantage with a 5 to 1 enrollment advantage.  Just my 2 cents guess.

PH - it looks like Caltech's deepest left field will no longer be deepest in the SCIAC.  Based on photos, it looks like the temporary fence will now be used in left field too, this resulting in a shallower left field.  Yes, Caltech should have a few more HRs now that it's left field will match other SCIAC fields; however, I suspect that will not be any type of advantage because other SCIAC teams will still have deeper rotation, and I think it will result in more HRs for visitors giving SCIAC opponents another advantage they do not need.  Although I do understand the coach not wanting a left field in excess of 400 feet.

Purple Heys

Ralph Turner

Quote from: Appalachian Mtns on January 23, 2017, 08:31:44 AM
RT - I suspect that MIT's 5000 enrollment versus Caltech's 1000 enrollment has a lot to do with it.  I would like to believe Caltech's admission standards are more challenging than MIT's, but I doubt that is the case.  I would say that those standards are comparable.  MIT's advantage in my opinion is that the larger enrollment allows more flexibility from admissions to assist the athletic department in accepting some athletes with excellent credentials but below preferred test score ranges.  For example, if both institutions wants an average 35 ACT score for all enrolled students for a particular class, then MIT with 5 to 1 enrollment advantage, can have 8 non-athletic students with a 36, allowing them to pick up a LHP with a 31 and a power corner hitter with a 31, to average 35 ACT score among those 10 students.  Versus Caltech, accepting one non-athletic student with a 36, and one athlete needing a 34 to average the 35 ACT.  Such is the advantage with a 5 to 1 enrollment advantage.  Just my 2 cents guess.

Thanks for the information.

In my post-graduate education, we had several D-1 intercollegiate athletes in various sports, baseball, cross country, track and football to name a few.  The administration said that they cut those guys (back then, before Title IX) some slack because the administration had always found them to be excellent students who were able to prioritize numerous responsibilities successfully.

There was some interesting research from Stanford from the 1930's (cited in Malcolm Gladwell's Tipping Point) that above an IQ of about 130, other factors had more impact on outcomes than simple IQ.

Appalachian Mtns

Okay, enough of the historic bottom of the SCIAC.

Posters - Let me know your predicted top half of the SCIAC in order of 1st thru 5th, and if you have one, share a brief reason for each particular prediction.  I am still learning about this conference.

Jack Parkman

Quote from: Ralph Turner on January 22, 2017, 09:36:15 PM

I know they have been out West at least twice.  In 2015 they went 3-2 on a trip where they beat Chapman, Claremont and Caltech and dropped games to Pomona and Cal Lu.  They also came out in 2002 and the only results I know of (at this time) were 2 losses to Cal Lu.  I know we overlooked them and figured they were more on the Caltech level, which at that time it was routine to score 20+ runs against them every time.  I think those types of trips are great for recruiting.

Purple Heys

FYI...I have made a pact with the Whittier kids that I would shave my eyebrows if they win the SCIAC Tourney.

Never underestimate the power of adequate motivation.   :o

Skips Soldier

Quote from: Appalachian Mtns on January 23, 2017, 04:49:26 PM
Okay, enough of the historic bottom of the SCIAC.

Posters - Let me know your predicted top half of the SCIAC in order of 1st thru 5th, and if you have one, share a brief reason for each particular prediction.  I am still learning about this conference.

1. Chapman - Offense is too explosive and Coach Laverty is an offensive genius. Too much fire power up and down the lineup between Larkin, Cook, Love, and Utility man Gavin Blodgett or Pudge as some of the guys call him. Pitching staff will be much improved from last season, except Tyler Peck to make a big impact on the rotation.
2. Cal Lutheran - Saito is always reliable to top the rotation and they always have guys step up and fill in, team will compete this year.
3. Redlands - Felix is a great guy to top a SCIAC rotation, but they're gonna need a lot of help to slow down the Panther offense this season.
4. Pomona-Pitzer - Nishioka is a dominant player that can change the game with one swing of the bat. It will help them a little, but the team simply has too many holes to win it all.
5. Occidental - No way they'll be able to repeat the same magic from last year, once again too many holes on the team especially in the pitching staff.