FB: Minnesota Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oline89

As a break to the summer doldrums....check out Liberty League page on East Region.  Trying to come up with a comprehensive list of "most successful" former D3 football players.  Not talking football only, but success in politics, titans of industry, medicine, law, etc.......

wally_wabash

Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 11, 2019, 11:27:43 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 11, 2019, 08:51:45 PM
Quote from: Caz Bombers on June 11, 2019, 06:49:50 PM
the MIAC presidents have just voted the USWNT out of the World Cup

13-0 against a totally defenseless team WAS rather unsportsmanlike.  Fortunately, the MIAC presidents don't have a vote.

I'll give the women's team a slight pass since it is the first game and goal differential can be a criterion for advancement.  But ONLY a slight pass! :P  I had no real problem with the first-timers scoring, but Alex Morgan scoring FIVE goals was definitely out-of-bounds.

Chuck, there's nothing wrong with Alex Morgan scoring five goals. What is she supposed to do when she has an open shot ... kick the ball softly over to the nearest defender? In a sense, she wasn't just scoring them against the Thais. Her scoring five goals is going to give the Swedes and the Chileans something to think about.

You were right about goal differential playing a large role in motivating the U.S. to pour it on. Goal differential is huge in the World Cup, especially in the group round. And there isn't unlimited subbing, so it's not as though a team can back off by emptying the bench. You get three substitutions per match, and the U.S. used all three.

It's the World Cup. If you get there, you're supposed to be good. Thailand has no excuse; it's not some tiny spot on the map with only a handful of citizens. Nearly 70 million people live there. If they can't put together a respectable team out of a population that large, that's not on the U.S. -- that's on the Thais.

What I can complain about, and what Julie Foudy complained about in her post-match commentary, was the celebrating after the final goal. That crossed the line, and was totally unsporting.

I'm not sure they really had a choice, particularly in the first game of the group stage.  If Team USA does "the right thing" and throws out the anchor with the score at 4-0 or 5-0, they're vulnerable in a tiebreak to one of the other teams who might not be as sporting- and shouldn't be when given the chance to take an advantage over the tournament favorite.  Now they've forced the rest of the group to either surrender the differential tiebreak to the US or go all out to chase down 13 goals against a team that they shouldn't have to exert that much effort against.  It stinks to be on the wrong end of that score for sure, but given the rules in this tournament, I don't think there's a smarter way to have played it than to keep scoring until they turn the lights out. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

jknezek

Quote from: wally_wabash on June 12, 2019, 03:56:51 PM
Quote from: Gregory Sager on June 11, 2019, 11:27:43 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on June 11, 2019, 08:51:45 PM
Quote from: Caz Bombers on June 11, 2019, 06:49:50 PM
the MIAC presidents have just voted the USWNT out of the World Cup

13-0 against a totally defenseless team WAS rather unsportsmanlike.  Fortunately, the MIAC presidents don't have a vote.

I'll give the women's team a slight pass since it is the first game and goal differential can be a criterion for advancement.  But ONLY a slight pass! :P  I had no real problem with the first-timers scoring, but Alex Morgan scoring FIVE goals was definitely out-of-bounds.

Chuck, there's nothing wrong with Alex Morgan scoring five goals. What is she supposed to do when she has an open shot ... kick the ball softly over to the nearest defender? In a sense, she wasn't just scoring them against the Thais. Her scoring five goals is going to give the Swedes and the Chileans something to think about.

You were right about goal differential playing a large role in motivating the U.S. to pour it on. Goal differential is huge in the World Cup, especially in the group round. And there isn't unlimited subbing, so it's not as though a team can back off by emptying the bench. You get three substitutions per match, and the U.S. used all three.

It's the World Cup. If you get there, you're supposed to be good. Thailand has no excuse; it's not some tiny spot on the map with only a handful of citizens. Nearly 70 million people live there. If they can't put together a respectable team out of a population that large, that's not on the U.S. -- that's on the Thais.

What I can complain about, and what Julie Foudy complained about in her post-match commentary, was the celebrating after the final goal. That crossed the line, and was totally unsporting.

I'm not sure they really had a choice, particularly in the first game of the group stage.  If Team USA does "the right thing" and throws out the anchor with the score at 4-0 or 5-0, they're vulnerable in a tiebreak to one of the other teams who might not be as sporting- and shouldn't be when given the chance to take an advantage over the tournament favorite.  Now they've forced the rest of the group to either surrender the differential tiebreak to the US or go all out to chase down 13 goals against a team that they shouldn't have to exert that much effort against.  It stinks to be on the wrong end of that score for sure, but given the rules in this tournament, I don't think there's a smarter way to have played it than to keep scoring until they turn the lights out.

I'll always maintain there is a difference between professional sports and youth sports. I have no problems with the 13-0 win. I thought some of the celebrations were silly when you are up that much, but scoring a goal at the World Cup, even against an over matched opponent, is a big deal. Of all the girls playing soccer in the world today, how many will ever score at a World Cup? .000000001%?

That being said, we do look to our professional athletes as role models, whether we should or shouldn't. And nasty blowouts and celebrating those blowouts has something of an odor, intentional or not.

This spring my little soccer team was in a tournament where the 4th tie breaker was goal differential. We won our first game 9-0, tied the second 3-3, and headed into the third game trailing by 1 goal differential with the team we tied, who had won 10-0 in their first game. The parents were pretty annoyed with me, since in the first game I told anyone who scored in the first half, we were up 7-0, they weren't supposed to score in the second. They needed to find a teammate who hadn't scored and pass them the ball. In the third game, we went into the half up 6-0 and I gave the same guidelines. We ended up winning 10-0, the other team won 21-1. Luckily for us, the third tiebreakers (behind h2h and goals scored counting only the first 5) was goals against.

Karma sometimes goes your way, but I blame the tournament director for having even the 4th tiebreaker encourage blow outs. That should never be a tiebreaker at a youth tournament in my opinion. The World Cup, however, is the pinnacle of the sport. No limits and it's up to the players, at the highest stage, to compete at the highest level.

OzJohnnie

Re women's soccer: I don't think it's the score that has people off side, as unusually lopsided as it is, but the fact that they carried on like pork chops and celebrated goal 13 as hard as goal 1 with airplane wings and big group hugs.  It's not that they won, but that they won with no style which has put people off. At least here, that's the complaint.

Scoring differential is the first tie breaker in every Aussie sport, even for the kiddies, so everyone experiences being a punching bag at some point in their lives. But you learn to punch with a little grace when you're dishing it out as you know you'll be on the receiving end of a good beating at some point.  These girls didn't just win big, but they rubbed it in the face of a hopelessly outclassed opponent as they did it.
[  

DFWCrufan

Being a Futball player coach and now fan I would chime in on the women's program...Snore....Next to the German program and maybe one other european program the US program is head and shoulders above all others in it's support, training and talent pipeline. Taking it to Thailand was just shallow and weak, hell these thai girls have to pay themselves to play, no support like the money machine the US girls have, not knocking it, when I coached clubs, HS and College I loved my sponsors and supporters, but these women were clearly outclassed. Wanna make a statement? run the score to 5 and completely control the game, keep your players healthy, put the numbers that say, yeah it's our game and play to 90.
Now some may ask, but what about the FB programs out there spinning up scores. Different sport, different make, football you have far more players, Futball you have your starting 11 and two subs that is it. Football has lines of players, and you only have so many opportunities to play, it's not a 90 minute running game.
The US pipeline from Club, to College to professional in the womans sport is a pretty well oiled program, perhaps our weak mens program could learn something from it rather than dragging out tired has beens. (Christian Pulisic being our youngest) I've had contact with the ODP and helping some of my kids find their way to college scholarships but when you get to the Int. level it veeers off into crazyville. I just don't see this womans team for this cup as exciting, it's a meh team, and don't go look at the USWNT webpage and look at the roster photos, stalin never looked better. Yeah they are loaded with talent, but except for a few players who I have been following for years, I'm personally just bored and that is hard for me, Hell I'll pull over to a park just to watch a game from flying cloud to U23 Club, just love the game, sadly, I'll skip this cup.
9 Year Member of the CRU-Nation! UMHB National Champions 2016 and 2018

formerd3db

Mr. Ypsi:

Check your PMs (no big deal-my PM to you is on a totally unrelated topics that have been discussed on this board of recent. :)
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

formerd3db

DuffMan:

You, too, please check your PMs.  Mine to you is also non-related to any conversations here (and unrelated to that I just sent Mr. Ypsi as well! :))
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

faunch

And the there's this...Thursday Teen Night @ Tiff's (Also known as fake ID night...worst kept secret in St. Paul BTW) will be Better Than D3 Night tomorrow! Cheap booze always brings out the U$T crowd! Be careful if you go and be sure to get the real age of anyone you might pickup...it will be a young crowd!

https://www.instagram.com/p/Byikwnqj8bL/?igshid=13ryq518u7kr2

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

OzJohnnie

Quote from: faunch on June 12, 2019, 09:31:32 PM
And the there's this...Thursday Teen Night @ Tiff's (Also known as fake ID night...worst kept secret in St. Paul BTW) will be Better Than D3 Night tomorrow! Cheap booze always brings out the U$T crowd! Be careful if you go and be sure to get the real age of anyone you might pickup...it will be a young crowd!

And... how exactly do you know that Thursday night is teen night?  Hmm?
[  

faunch

Quote from: OzJohnnie on June 12, 2019, 10:24:01 PM

And... how exactly do you know that Thursday night is teen night?  Hmm?
Because almost every CDH graduate 🎓 with a fake ID goes there every Thursday.

"I'm a uniter...not a divider."

BDB

Quote from: BlueDevil Bob on April 27, 2019, 05:45:38 PM
Time for my Stanley Cup Champion prediction which those longtime followers of this site know you can take to the bank.
This year is quite the challenge with the President's Trophy club getting swept and other surprises in the 1st round. All that plus any of the teams left in the west look like they could make the finals.
That being said,  the Cup will be raised by a team from the east once again.
Boston Bruins defeat the Colorado Avalanche in 6 games to take it all.
Lay a saw buck on it for me if in Vegas.

BDB's streak of many years nailing this prediction in this forum has been broke.  :'(

Congrats Blues. Been an exciting Stanley Cup Playoffs. Lots of young talent spread around the league.  8-)

Mr.MIAC

The worst kept secret in Stearns County is that with a little digging you'll find more pot stills per capita than anywhere else in the Upper Midwest. With the area awash in moonshine, local youngsters have no need for fake IDs. I hear those 4H dances can get pretty rowdy though...

Mr.MIAC

I figure some people might be triggered by this new video. Maybe they'll try to boot UST out of Minnesota for "promotional competitive parity" reasons.

Link: https://vimeo.com/338261191

BDB

57Johnnie

The older the violin - the sweeter the music!