MBB: University Athletic Association

Started by Allen M. Karon, February 21, 2005, 08:19:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

y_jack_lok

^^^ Agreed. I think the UAA's non-conference results are more impressive than the ODAC's.

deiscanton

Finally!  D3Boards is back after 2 months out of service.   Trying to react via posting on X was quite a challenge.

Anyway, This season so far has been a whirlwind of excitement every weekend.

On the first weekend, I fulfilled a promise of mine to personally travel to NYU and watch a doubleheader in person at the new Paulson Center at the corner of Bleecker and Mercer Streets.  The new court at NYU is worth the trip-- FYI, NYU is now the only UAA campus where the primary basketball court and the primary volleyball court are kept separate and dedicated to each individual use.  The stands can be configured one way if there is a volleyball event, and reconfigured a separate way if there is a basketball event.  You enter the athletic part of the facility literally at the corner of Bleecker and Mercer in Greenwich Village, where the tickets go on sale in a separately set table from the security gates 1 hour before tip.  You make your $10 ticket purchase by tapping a credit card onto a portable machine, get your physical ticket, and then proceed through the security gate.  Once past the gates, you either go down the stairs or take the elevator to the "sub-cellar" where the new basketball court is located.

One drawback with the new building is that you cannot see the basketball court from the surface the way that you could when you entered the old Coles Center.  However, the new video scoreboards more than make up for it.   I don't know whether this has been the case every weekend of UAA competition so far, but NYU set up the fencing multi-purpose locker room up on the surface level (next to the cardio floor) for the visiting team's alumni reception room.  It took me a while to find the reception room, but during halftime of the women's game, I finally found it and was able to enjoy the catering spread, which included pizza for the second game.

A separate snack bar is available near courtside where snacks can be purchased by also tapping a credit card onto a machine.

Memories of my brief visit to NYU on Saturday, Jan. 6--

1.)  I slept at home in my apartment on Friday evening and then took at 5:30 AM Lyft to the Amtrak Route 128 station in Westwood, MA.

2.)  I took the 6:50 AM Amtrak Northeast Regional train to New York-- got to Moynihan Train Hall at 10:45 AM.

3.)  Walked to Arby's at 8th Avenue and 39th Street for a classic roast beef lunch-- first time in years that I was able to have lunch at Arby's.  In Massachusetts, there are only 2 Arby's restaurants remaining, and the closest one is in the Worcester area-- too far to regularly go there to eat.

4.)  Tapped my credit card for a $2.90 subway ride to Broadway and Lafayette Station-- short walk from there to 181 Mercer Street.

5.)  Some mixed precip started falling in Manhattan during the second game-- so after the doubleheader, I walked back to Broadway and Lafayette subway station and made the long trek to get through the station and connect to the uptown platform for the 6 line at Bleecker Street subway station.

6.)  Took the 6 train to Grand Central Terminal and then got on the Metro North train to Stamford, CT, where I spent the night at the Red carpet Inn.  Moderate snow was falling in Stamford when I got there around 7:30 PM, which made the short 2 mile bus ride a little slow going.  Got to the inn and checked in just after 8 PM and went to bed.

9.)  Checked out just before 7:30 AM ET on Sunday and took the bus to downtown Darien CT where I had breakfast at Dunkin.   I then took Metro North back to Stamford and then connected to the returning Amtrak Northeast Regional train back to Route 128 Station where a friend picked me up for the short ride home.

Total cost of trip-- train tickets, subway fare, commuter rail fare, breakfast, lunch, game ticket, and room for night-- approx. $160.00.  I bought the Amtrak tickets just before Labor Day last year, and it was worth it since I had not been to New York City in years.

I still have my game ticket and 76 page game program from the event-- I may consider having the program autographed on Saturday when NYU makes the return visit to Brandeis to conclude the season.

Pat Coleman

Thanks for your post. It's great to be back, plus I always appreciate a good travelogue.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

deiscanton

After an eventful season of UAA action, the men's basketball AQ comes down to the final day of play on Saturday.

Here are the scenarios:

1.) CWRU defeats Carnegie Mellon-- CWRU clinches the Pool A AQ no matter what the outcome is of the NYU and Brandeis game. In that case, a Brandeis win would make CWRU outright UAA Men's Basketball Champions, while an NYU win would make CWRU and NYU Men's Basketball Co-Champions, with CWRU winning the AQ by means of the second tiebreaker by posting a 1-1 result vs third place Carnegie Mellon, while NYU went 0-2 vs the Tartans.

2.) NYU wins over Brandeis and Carnegie Mellon wins-- NYU would be outright UAA Men's Basketball Champion and getthe AQ.

3.) Carnegie Mellon wins over CWRU and Brandeis wins over NYU-- Carnegie Mellon, CWRU, and NYU would be UAA Men's Basketball Co-Champions, and Carnegie Mellon would get the AQ by virtue of first tiebreaker-- a 4-0 head to head sweep vs CWRU and NYU.

DagarmanSpartan

desicanton,

Thanks for the run down.

I hope that CWRU pulls it off!  GO SPARTANS!!!

UAA_Truthsayer

I could see an update in Cleveland this weekend if Case doesn't come to play or rebound like they did at NYU or CMU. You would've thought that they all planned to box out with their hands down the last time the played Carnegie. Offensively they will be fine, but the game is played at both ends.

I do not see any upset potential with NYU/Brandeis. If I was a betting man, I'd bet on a 3 way tie for first in the UAA.

deiscanton

UAA is hosting 3 NCAA DIII Tournament First/Second Round pods this upcoming weekend, and Carnegie Mellon is in and playing at a pod at Catholic University in Washington, DC.

The second pod announced on the selection show confirmed that the UAA got 4 teams in when Carnegie Mellon's name was announced.

Men's teams get priority over women for hosting duties this weekend.

Carnegie Mellon will be headed to Catholic's pod in Washington, DC.   Here is the field for that pod:

1.)  Rowan Profs vs Carnegie Mellon Tartans
2.)  Worcester State Lancers at Catholic Cardinals

The ninth pod announced was the Case Western Reserve pod being played at Horsburgh Gym in Cleveland.

Here is the field for the CWRU pod at Horsburgh Gym in Cleveland this upcoming weekend:

1.)  Mary Baldwin Fighting Squirrels at CWRU Spartans
2.)  Hope Flying Dutchmen vs Anderson Ravens

The twelfth pod announced was the Wash U pod being played at the Edwards/Fahey Court in the Wash U Field House in St. Louis this weekend--

Here is the field for the Wash U pod--

1.)  Dubuque Spartans vs Illinois College Blue Boys
2.)  Wisconsin Lutheran Warriors at Wash U Bears

The sixteenth and final pod announced was the NYU pod being played at the Paulson Center at the corner of Bleecker and Mercer Streets in Greenwich Village in New York City this weekend.

Here is the field for the NYU pod--

1.)  Tufts Jumbos vs Stockton Ospreys
2.)  Husson Eagles at NYU Violets

I am looking forward to the commentary from Ron Jantz, Jay Murry, and the NYU student broadcating crew this upcoming weekend on those pods.   Looking forward to some bracket analysis of these pods as well.

Catholic's regular season live webcasts of the home games were exclusive this season to FloSports as part of their Landmark Conference package, with on-demand games being made available for free 72 hours later on Landmark Digital Network.

The Conference package on FloSports costs $15/month to subscribe, but I believe that there is a rule from the NCAA that NCAA DIII basketball tournament games must currently be streamed and available live for free.

In the past, NCAA live basketball tournament games that were played at Rochester were streamed for free while regular season games streamed from the Louis Alexander Palestra required a $7.95 24 hour pass or a $10.95 monthly subscription to watch. 

Although I currently am subscribing to FloSports for February and March, I will be cancelling my FloSports subscription for the time being after I get charged for the March subscription. I can reactivate it at any time for the 30 day monthly periods that I need to use the subscription after I cancel. Similarly, I have already cancelled my monthly subscription to Rochester's service, and I have a few weeks left to view on-demand games on that website.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Deis,

All NCAA first and second weekend games should be free.  They're owned by the NCAA and not the conference.  You should not need a March Flo subscription.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

deiscanton

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on February 26, 2024, 04:29:51 PMDeis,

All NCAA first and second weekend games should be free.  They're owned by the NCAA and not the conference.  You should not need a March Flo subscription.

The March Flo subscription, if I decide to get charged for it (I have until March 8 to cancel the subscription if I do not want another month), would be to watch CWRU softball in the Spring Games (March 10-15) from Florida. (However, the softball Spring Games are usually announcerless.)  There are also early rounds of the Coastal Athletic Association men's and women's basketball tournaments (week of March 8-15) involving Northeastern University and Towson that I may need to have this subscription for the extra 30 days until April.

UAA_Truthsayer

Predicting a Case Western 2-0 weekend. If they stay unselfish and no one starts believing it is "their turn" to shine, frankly they are unbeatable. They have 7 all conference level players, elite guard play, bigs with grit, and the 2 best "bench" players in the ENTIRE COUNTRY. Adjusted for size and comp, maybe in all of the NCAA. I mean it isn't even funny; Maccaux and Trunley can go.

Interested to see how Trunley adjusts next year to basically an entire new team of transfers.

Greek Tragedy

Is there any validity to the claim that the lack of a conference tournament hurts the UAA in the NCAA tournament? They don't have the "lose and you're done" mentality until you hit the Big Dance.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

ziggy

We will get some scheduling news for next season when the 2024 Great Lakes Invitational matchups and schedule is announced tonight at 8 PM ET: https://youtu.be/uMQvyLC98bw

Emory will be joined in the eight-team field by Calvin (host), Hope, John Carroll, Johns Hopkins, Marietta, Saint John's and UW-La Crosse.