Previous topic - Next topic

sulrosslobos

Sul Ross...63
UT-Tyler....94

FINAL

etbualum

Quote from: mcmfan on December 18, 2006, 08:07:20 PM
McM 73, ETBU 61 final

The radio announcers said that the McM players were not allowed to practice in the gym before the game, so that they were playing in it for the first time when the game started.  Is that normal?

MCM men and women practiced in ornelas for three hours on friday.  ETBU men moved their game day shoot around so MCM could have the gym for two hours today.  I think the announcers might have been mistaken.

Had etbu shot better from the FT line the game would have been much tighter.

mcmfan

Thanks for the clarification, Etbualum.
Alacumba!

etbualum

No prob,  My first time to see Richardson and tuttle, they are quality.

fanstand

I don't know about the men's team, but the women for McM were in Oklahoma on Friday, they did not get to Marshall until Monday, because they were not allowed to practice in the gym on Sunday, they stayed in Arkansas on Sunday to practice Sunday morning before heading to east Texas. Someone else was in that gym on Friday, and the men left on a different bus on Sunday, I believe.

fanstand

Bet that was UMHB, they played on Saturday in Marshall. Our teams did not travel together this time.

Ralph Turner

McM 73, ETBU 61

Tarra Richardson had 28 points and 12 boards.  Maigen Sawyer had 15 points; Allison Nelson had 13.  Symbri Tuttle had 11 of the 19 McMurry assists to only 4 total assists for ETBU.

Also, McMurry got some good minutes from Sandra Lewis and some great defense from Jabri Butler.

Sounds like a great effort!

etbualum

I said friday but I meant sunday and monday.  Sorry typed it in a hurry.  Somebody from MCM practiced here Sunday.  The men and women both had time, I was not there so I dont know if they took it.  The etbu men did move the shoot around on game day so both teams could shoot for an hour each.

Sorry for the mistake about friday and the confusion it caused.

mcmfan

Quote from: sethhpu on December 12, 2006, 03:20:03 PM
I just think McM jumping 5 spots is a little much considering HPU stayed where they were after convining wins.
I think sethhpu from a week ago has a good point about HPU being underrated.  There are now a number of schools that have played HPU, McM, and HSU, and (at the risk of more fuzzy math on my part :)) you can compare the scores.  I looked at their games with ETBU, Ozarks, and LeTourneau.  McM and HSU won with point spreads ranging from 5 to 24.  But check out HPU's numbers:
ETBU +37
Ozarks +42
LeT +51
This is double or almost triple the point spreads of McM and HSU against the same schools.  Unless HPU is playing their starters the whole time to deliberately run up the numbers (and McM is giving their bench a lot of time on the court), then this team looks to be a much meaner machine than the rankings indicate, and not to be taken lightly by McM or HSU down the stretch.

Alacumba!

dballa

HPU definitely isn't keeping the starters in the whole time.  There are a lot of bench players getting well over 10 mins and some even 15 to 20 mins during each game.  There have been some games that Meia Daniels and some other starters haven't played beyond the 10 min mark of the 2nd half and definitely didn't play the whole 1st half.

I may be wrong on this but I think the Sul Ross game is the only game that HPU didn't increase their lead in the 2nd half with the subs in.  That says a lot about the depth and balance of the team.  They can sub in 5 off the bench who can produce exactly what, if not more in some cases, the 1st team does.

The end of January can't get here quick enough.  I'm ready to see them play some better competition to get a gauge on how good this team really is.

thundercat

HPU seems to have to deal with this lack of recognition every year.  They have always had deep teams, great talent and coaching and yet can't seem to win people over.  They have always played 10+ players a game due thier style of play.  I know, they play a zone, but the intensity that comes with that zone makes it more demanding than any man defense.  Add in their ability to score in transition with post players like Blalock, Hoffman and Pippins who can get down the floor great and it becomes very hard to go longer than 5-8 minutes at a time.  There is no going half speed in HPU's system, that is what has made them so successful and the depth of their bench so important.   

Yes, they haven't had the accomplishments that HSU has had to date, but have gone further each year than they did the previous year.  That has to account for something. 

Ralph Turner

Quote from: thundercat on December 19, 2006, 04:51:12 PM
HPU seems to have to deal with this lack of recognition every year. ...

Yes, they haven't had the accomplishments that HSU has had to date, but have gone further each year than they did the previous year.  That has to account for something. 

This seems to be the common "we don't get no respect" refrain from some HPU fans.

You are currently ranked #11!

That is based on an improvement from #22 at the end of the 2006 season,

--and that reflects a pre-season ranking of #18 this year, sight unseen by probably at least 23 of the 25 voters in the poll,

--and it credits the recent HPU playoff history of:

------losing in the first round at home against Trinity in 2005 and
------beating Trinity, only to lose in the second round (the Finals of the Texas sub-bracket) in 2006.

HPU's playoff record is only 1-2 in 2 attempts.  Everyone above HPU in the poll, with the exception of McMurry and Brandeis, has been to a Final Four in this decade!!!  Brandeis gets respect, because 5 of the last 10 D3 Women's Champions have come from Brandeis' conference, the UAA.  The voters in Pat's poll have seen the UAA, and I trust their assessment.

Restated, with the exception of McMurry and Brandeis, no other team in the country without a recent Final Four appearance is ranked higher than HPU.

McMurry's record since the start of 2005 is 34-3.  They are 1-1 versus HPU and 2-2 with a road win over HSU in 2005-07.  HPU is 32-5, with losses to McM, MissColl, UMHB and HSU twice.  McMurry gets credit for a road win over 2006 Final Four HSU earlier this month.

The "we don't get no respect" lament is historically unsubstantiated!  You are getting respect based on the success of HSU and McMurry, to a lesser extent.  Pat Coleman made a special trip to see the Lady Jackets, and he is awaiting the HSU-McM games in late January.

Have a Merry Christmas! ;)

mcmfan

Quote from: Ralph Turner on December 19, 2006, 06:30:41 PM
This seems to be the common "we don't get no respect" refrain from some HPU fans.

Since I seem to have started this thread, my point is simply that you underestimate HPU this year at your own peril.  One more set of numbers, for the record, since both HPU and HSU beat Trinity this year:
HPU-Trinity 76-45 +31
HSU-Trinity 84-67 +17
...and I'm obviously not an HPU fan.
Alacumba!

fanstand

My two cents.......I think HPU sometimes is "overshadowed" by the McM/HSU rivalry. I guarantee we do not overlook or disrespect them, because we know they are a formidible foe,  they aren't slipping under our radar.  HSU knows it too. When McM plays HSU, who does HPU root for? When HSU plays HPU, who does McM root for? When McM plays HPU who is HSU wanting to come out on top? Can you really root for one of them?   This three way rivalry is pretty intense and the atmosphere is electric.  HPU is getting plenty of respect and the answers will come in January, but there is lots of ball to play between now and then, anything can happen. 

thundercat

I just wanted to take this opportunity to wish everyone a very Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!  May all your Christmas wishes come true, as well as those resolutions!