South Region Rankings and Playoffs

Started by Ralph Turner, February 01, 2009, 04:08:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cover2

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 04, 2020, 05:27:02 PM
Quote from: jekelish on March 04, 2020, 05:19:58 PM
I think he was referring to UMHB winning their conference tournament and not getting the hosting duties.

Ok .. my first sentence remains intact. Just because a team wins their conference tournament doesn't drive the ship.

The overall resumes do that and I am not sure UMHB would have jumped Trinity at the end.

I was adding the conference tourney title to the list of reasons why UMHB should've moved to #1 in the region.  The rest of the list was posted by Ron:  ...UMHB...when they have a better overall record, record vs RROs, SOS, *and* secondary record than Trinity.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Trinity: 20-3 v DIII, .548 SOS, 5-3 vRRO, and common opponent (quick look): Trinity lost to Texas-Dallas who also beat UMHB. (Overall 23-4)

UMHB: 22-3 v DIII, .563 SOS, 6-3 vRRO, and same common opponent info (Overall 24-4).

I don't know the non-conference SOS unfortunately which could have played a roll. Trinity has a better overall WL%. There may be other common opponents if I go look.

Quick glance ... it isn't a slam dunk for UMHB. It is close for either.

When I have more time, I can break down the vRRO (because it is NOT just a hard WL number). There could be more common opponents that also could help this discussion.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Ron Boerger

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on March 04, 2020, 05:48:59 PM
Trinity: 20-3 v DIII, .548 SOS, 5-3 vRRO, and common opponent (quick look): Trinity lost to Texas-Dallas who also beat UMHB. (Overall 23-4)

UMHB: 22-3 v DIII, .563 SOS, 6-3 vRRO, and same common opponent info (Overall 24-4).

I don't know the non-conference SOS unfortunately which could have played a roll. Trinity has a better overall WL%. There may be other common opponents if I go look.

Quick glance ... it isn't a slam dunk for UMHB. It is close for either.

When I have more time, I can break down the vRRO (because it is NOT just a hard WL number). There could be more common opponents that also could help this discussion.

UMHB has a better W/L (22-3 > 20-3, 24-4 > 23-4).   

Common opponents: UMHB 0-1 vs AC, Trinity 2-1; UMHB 2-1 vs. HSU, Trinity 1-0; UMHB 1-0 vs SW, TU 2-0; UMHB 3-0 v ETBU, Trinity 1-0; UMHB 1-0 v St Thomas (TX), Trinity 1-1.

Ron Boerger

UMHB beats AC 78-63, but if my brother got the number right, UMHB's Hannah Holt went out with 2:00 remaining with what appears to be a knee injury, on crutches and iced up after the game.  Box score confirms she left the game at that point.

jekelish

Yep. She went down hard, it was really, really unfortunate and a bit scary.

Tough game for Austin College. 32-30 at halftime, and then the 'Roos just went about as cold as you can for the first 7 minutes of the third quarter. UMHB closed the third strong and came out hot to start the fourth quarter, and that was that. 'Roos got hot from three for a stretch late to get it to 9 but couldn't quite close the gap, and at the end UMHB knocked down their free throws when AC had to foul.

Ron Boerger

And Trinity could not make a double digit second half lead stand up in falling to UT-D 74-69.  Kelly Simmons was knocked out on a scrum under the basket in the second half; UT-D was called for an intentional foul and it all went south for Trinity after that.   Abby Holland closes out her career with 19 points.

So it'll be a all-ASC second round tomorrow.  Yay.

Ron Boerger

Even without Hannah Holt, UMHB had little difficulty with UT-D, winning 64-48.  Raenett Hughes, who was so disruptive in scoring 22 the previous night, was held to 5 points (2-10 from the floor) by the Comets.