MBB: Northwest Conference

Started by The Show, March 06, 2005, 08:40:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

(509)Rat

Unfortunately I think it's going to be more of a test. Emory doesn't shoot the ball as well as Redlands does, but they have a stingier defense. Whitworth might be a little more efficient than Emory on the offensive end of the court but statistically speaking, pretty much every category is a wash. The only thing Emory doesn't seem to have is a dedicated big man. Their starting 5 is a bit small and (from the game I saw) they get around this by trapping up high and putting a lot of pressure on the ball. They keep you from getting the ball into the post so they don't have to defend it. Farnsworth has to get touches and actually take care of the ball this week for Whitworth to win. I don't know if the guards will get the type of looks from 3 that they'd need to shoot Whitworth back into this game if it comes to that (like it did against Redlands).

(509)Rat

For any UAA lurkers, here's a quick look at the Fieldhouse from last weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD9QjnD91S4

Bearcat Press

Big congratulations to Willamette's Sean Dart, who was named one of 10 finalists for the Jostens Trophy today.

http://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2013/03/jostens-finalists-announced

Sean is Willamette's NWC-leading sixth Jostens Trophy finalist, joining Brad Nelson (1999), Shawn Gahr (2000), Kip Ioane (2001), Ryan Hepp (2003), and Cameron Mitchell (2010).  He's been a real pleasure to watch the last three years, and he's a terrific ambassador for both Bearcat Hoop and the university as a whole.

(Edited to add a link to Willamette's press release):

http://www.willamette.edu/athletics/news/archive/2013/03/05_MBK_Dart_Jostens_Finalist.php
"It's a slippery slope from the penthouse to the outhouse." - Mark Speckman

A Buc Forever

Congrats to Dart.  That's a great honor.  Bearcat, your second link doesn't connect to the story.  Can you re-post it?

Bearcat Press

Thanks for the heads up, A Buc Forever.  The link is fixed.
"It's a slippery slope from the penthouse to the outhouse." - Mark Speckman

WUPHF

Quote from: (509)Rat on March 04, 2013, 06:07:43 PM
For any UAA lurkers, here's a quick look at the Fieldhouse from last weekend

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD9QjnD91S4

It would be interesting to know how many UAA fans in general and Emory fans in particular have clicked on the Northwest Conference thread.  I have reason to believe that the answer is very few.

Otherwise, Emory would have seen a comparable crowd and gym at least once this Spring.  Should be a good game.

A Buc Forever

Great win by WW.  Didn't get a chance to watch the game.  What were the technicals all about?

(509)Rat

Chalk another one up to Logie outcoaching his opponent. Every Emory adjustment and run was countered by Whitworth. Impressive performance. Whitworth did a great job of getting OPEN looks against a tough/aggressive Emory defense. If you would have told me Whitworth was going to turn the ball over 19 times I would have told you they're gonna lose. But I also would never have thought they would have gotten the shots that they did and been as efficient (offensively) as they were.

I don't know about the first technical issued to the bench, but the ones by Davis (while somewhat ticky tack by technical standards) were justified. Davis shoved Farnsworth after the whistle and then connected an elbow above the shoulders. 2 things you CAN'T do anymore in NCAA basketball. Especially connecting with an opponent's head. It's just like watching a football game with new "targeting" rules. 5 years ago it's a good play, but not anymore. That's life and as a player you have to know better. Just from what I saw, both of Davis' T's were out of frustration and I don't blame him. Down most of the game, opponent hasn't missed a shot, not getting a lot of help from his teammates...he was a "mentally tired guy" and didn't handle it well. Which is a shame because he is a very good basketball player.

One more home game against another up tempo team who they've beaten (at home) once already this year. UMHB has the athletes to run you out of a gym, but Whitworth has now played 3 games in a row against up tempo, high pressure teams without much trouble. UMHB is going to have to make shots outside of 17 feet if they want to win this game. I don't think they will be able to dictate the tempo like they did yesterday against CTX. Earlier this season UMHB scored 61 against Whitworth...just about HALF of what they put up against CTX. I would be shocked if this one goes over 160 total points.

John Gleich

The first tech against the bench was due to the fact that the Emory bench thought that Whitworth committed a shot clock violation but it went uncalled. The coach exploded, but I think that the bench was nearly completely on the court too.

I didn't see it happen (I was listening to the game but reading the boards at the time), but that's how it was described by the WW media guys. FWIW, they didn't disagree that there should have been a shot clock violation.
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich

Cdalakelady

Did not really see the first two technicals. I could not see the bench from where I was sitting and I was not watching the shot clock. Here is what I remember about the last technical. The last technical occurred after one of our players (I think is was Larkin) ended up flat on his back at the end of the play.  When he got up Davis walked straight into him and bumped him hard.  He tried to make it look like an accident, like he wasn't watching where he was walking. The crowd roared and then he walked into the Whitworth player again.  The technical was the called. It appeared to me the refs didn't want to make the call but had to.

Pinecone_Curtain

From my perspective, I thought Mack Larkin's shot beat the shot clock before the first T, but it was a bang-bang play. If they had called it the other way, the WW guys would have been upset. Tough call because it was so close; however, the Emory bench clearly was on the court. They also televised the game in eastern Washington, so I'm not sure what the rules are at D3, but I assume they could have looked on those monitors. Not sure why they didn't if it was available.

Second T was an obvious late push. Final T: from what I saw Davis pushed Larkin late (like he did to Farnsworth to pick up the first T), then Larkin's face and Davis' elbow connected seconds later. Not sure how much of the elbow to the face was instigated by Davis. Even as a WW homer, I thought Larkin's ran into Davis' elbow rather than Davis going for Larkin's face. The rumor I've heard is that there was potentially a spitting incident that led to the T. Like I said, it's a rumor, but one that apparently was heard through one of the media outlets. That final T really swung the game for WW, leading to a seven-point possession. Until then it looked like Emory might be staging a comeback.

I thought the officials let the game get out of hand. They really let the physical play go, while calling ticky-tack fouls on both teams. That led to two frustrated teams in an emotional game. WW just happened to stay more composed down the stretch and I'm certain the home court and double-digit lead led to the composure.

A Buc Forever

Congrats to the Bucs on another home game.  Nice to see the program get recognized for their play on the court and the fantastic attendance. I can't say enough about what this team has accomplished so far. 

Pat Coleman

Quote from: A Buc Forever on March 11, 2013, 08:04:46 PM
Congrats to the Bucs on another home game.  Nice to see the program get recognized for their play on the court and the fantastic attendance. I can't say enough about what this team has accomplished so far.

I was glad to see this happen, because the way the NCAA spends money on this tournament, Whitworth isn't going to get too many other opportunities to host three rounds.  :-\
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

madzillagd

I'm not sure yet what WW has accomplished yet quite frankly.  They've yet to play a ranked team so I don't think we've seen them truly tested to know if that #6 ranking was deserved or not.  In the first 3 rounds of the tournament they're playing 2 unranked teams that they already beat so it doesn't give us an idea of how they stack up against the other top teams.  We knew they could beat Redlands and we know they can beat MHB.  I'm looking forward to them probably playing St. Mary's so we can truly see where they stand.

They aren't the only team going into the tournament that had similar question marks.  #7 Midd had played 3 games against Top 25 teams going into the tournament and had lost all 3.  But, they got their match up against #23 Cortland State last round and they beat them so for me that shows are probably deserving of at least Top 15 or better ranking.  I don't think we'll know how WW stacks up nationally until the Elite 8, if they make it there. 

Every tournament win is a great win, I'm just talking about how the stand in the polls and whether their #6 ranking is justified. 

John Gleich

Quote from: Pinecone_Curtain on March 11, 2013, 02:40:21 AM
I thought the officials let the game get out of hand. They really let the physical play go, while calling ticky-tack fouls on both teams. That led to two frustrated teams in an emotional game. WW just happened to stay more composed down the stretch and I'm certain the home court and double-digit lead led to the composure.

You have to give the refs some credit, though... (or at least a break). They've got a really tough job.

They typically referee in a few different leagues (of which neither team playing can be a part, due to NCAA regulations regarding officials). They know coaching and playing styles and tendencies and likely have refereed multiple games for the same teams throughout the year. This is the first time the teams and refs have seen each other.

In a regular league, coaches and players know what is allowed and what they can "get away" with. Not saying that players would take it right to the edge... but they go just far enough to not get a foul called, etc, and they know the limits. With an unknown quantity like a brand new ref, a guy may be playing to his strengths, only to be called for two quick fouls and have to sit. That's a severe downside to the inconsistency between leagues in terms of physicality and how closely a game is called.
UWSP Men's Basketball

National Champions: 2015, 2010, 2005, 2004

NCAA appearances: 2018, '15, '14, '13, '12, '11, '10, '09, '08, '07, '05, '04, '03, '00, 1997

WIAC/WSUC Champs: 2015, '14, '13, '11, '09, '07, '05, '03, '02, '01, '00, 1993, '92, '87, '86, '85, '84, '83, '82, '69, '61, '57, '48, '42, '37, '36, '35, '33, '18

Twitter: @JohnGleich