Commonwealth Coast Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, March 01, 2005, 04:20:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Just watched the second half of the ENC-Gordon game.  The feed cut off with about 10 seconds left, GC up and shooting FTs.  This is the longest stretch I've seen ENC play since December.  Their defense really seemed quite tentative most of the game and their FT shooting seems to be getting worse.

I know conference play is a lot tougher than their relatively easy non-conference schedule, but they could be in or win some of these games if they played the whole game with the intensity they show in the final three or four minutes.  Rebounding will always be a weakness and post play was pretty lopsided today, but it doesn't have to be the difference maker for them.

Gordon gets a lot of credit.  They played smart ball and seemed to hit big shots every time ENC was starting to build momentum.

Good game.  We'll see how these two teams evolve over the next month.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

warriorcat

I had the same feeling about Gordon when I watched them against Salve.  They may end up being the team to beat by the time the season ends.  However, they need to have their two key players - Miersma and Thomas- on the court.  Foul trouble or injury to either one would be very hard for them to overcome.

In somewhat the same light, I followed the Salve-Curry game this afternoon.  I use the word follow because there was no video feed.  Live stats are better than nothing but it is hard to assess what is going on. Salve led by as many as 19 in the first half and gave all of it away in the end.  They put things together enough to win by two in overtime but Curry had the ball with two seconds and turned the ball over.  Barrett Hanlon, who has been the key player for Salve all season, started the game today but he came out after the first four minutes and made a three minute appearance in the second half.  I do not know if it was because of an injury, illness, or coach's decision but Salve is not the same team without him on the floor.

warriorcat

Interesting result from tonight

Roger Williams defeats Gordon 68-52 in Wentham.  I did not see this coming.

Also, Curry defeated UNE 76-71

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: warriorcat on January 22, 2014, 10:26:52 PM
Interesting result from tonight

Roger Williams defeats Gordon 68-52 in Wentham.  I did not see this coming.

Also, Curry defeated UNE 76-71

A couple of games got postponed by the weather.  I assume they'll play them tonight.  Well, two of them tonight.  The ENC-Nichols game will be Feb 6.

Gordon is very beatable if you have the bodies to match them down low.  Salve looks like the best team so far, but any of these top seven (maybe eight) can win on any night.

warriorcat

Western New England   63   Salve Regina   58

I did not get the chance to see the game but in looking at the box score a few things stand out to me

1) Salve had a 12 point half time lead
2) WNE outscored them 32-15 in the second half - Salve shot 25% FG   10% 3FG   22% FT to score their 15 points
3) Barrett Hanlon did not play.  I do not know the seriousness of his injury but I do not think Salve can hang with the upper tier of the Conference without him

jackson5

Only saw the second half of the WNE-Salve game,

WNE is an extremely streaky team, this game was similar to their WIT game. For some reason they like to come out of the second half firing on all cylinders. If they can ever have that intensity for 40 full minutes they could be dangerous and good for an upset or two come tournament time. They did a good job locking down on defense in the second half though and preventing open shots.

Salve is a completely different team without Hanlon though. They need him to come back and be healthy if they want to win the conference this year.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

When I heard Pringle was out for the year, I pegged Salve struggling to make the conference tourney.  I was not aware of Hanlon coming in; he's a real difference maker.  I imagine they're only favored over UNE without him.

jackson5

They'll still make the tournament, but barely. They have a 4 game lead over Curry and WNE with 9 games left. Even if they go 1-8 the rest of the way out, WNE and Curry will both need to go from winning 2 games the first round through to winning 5 games. Which will be tough. Although their last game Curry vs Salve could serve as a play in game for the tournament.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: jackson5 on January 24, 2014, 02:13:08 PM
They'll still make the tournament, but barely. They have a 4 game lead over Curry and WNE with 9 games left. Even if they go 1-8 the rest of the way out, WNE and Curry will both need to go from winning 2 games the first round through to winning 5 games. Which will be tough. Although their last game Curry vs Salve could serve as a play in game for the tournament.

Oh I just meant before the season.  They've amassed enough wins to get in now, even if Hanlon doesn't come back.  If they end up with both Hanlon and Pringle next year, that could be a rainmaker squad for sure.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

A lot of interesting results today.  Salve rallies at home, Gordon goes down, WNEC makes a statement (albeit against UNE) and ENC takes out Endicott.

Ten days ago Salve was the clear favorite, two weeks before that it was Endicott all the way.  Now Nichols seems to be a head above.

Do we have seven teams now that can win on any given night?  I was worried about an ENC collapse, but winning a close game against a good opponent is something they haven't done in a long time.  It seems the week of bad losses is more the aberration than the wins.

jackson5

I think we're closer to 8 maybe even 9 games that can win on any given night. WNEC has been knocking on the door all year as Roger Williams and Gordon were the only two games that they weren't in it in the final 2 minutes, and even those games were without Askew. This week is a huge one for them, I personally think that the Salve comeback is the turning point in their season, if they can beat Curry and Roger Williams this week that'll fortify that and I can see them going on a run to get a 6 or 7 seed. If that happens I wouldn't be shocked to see them get an upset in the tournament. For the UNE game, the key thing to take from it is not the blow out its the shooting percentages for WNEC, mainly shooting over 50% from 3 point land. That shows that even though they are only shooting in the 20% range from out there this year that they have the capabilities to get hot and go off.

Curry's also isn't a guaranteed win, yeah two of their wins are against UNE and WNEC, but they also took Salve to Overtime and only lost to Endicott by 4. Really the only team that I see in this league being a guaranteed win would be UNE. They are just putrid.

I do think that Nichols is the favorite in this league though. They need to tighten up their defense in the half court a little but they still are keeping teams in the  mid 60's  and with how much and how easy they score they are a tough team to beat.  I'm not that impressed with Salve as I think they are easily beatable and Endicott doesn't like to blow people out which leaves them vulnerable for an upset.

warriorcat

Nichols appears to be in the driver's seat with a two game lead.  Still quite a few games to play and the loss of a key player or two due to injury or illness could tip the balance in most of the Conference contests.  Still not sure if Hanlon is coimg back soon.  Salve has struggled to close out games (double digit leads against Curry (OT win), WNEC (loss), and Roger Williams (win with basket with 7 secs remaining) melted away in the second half ).  His return is probably the key to the rest of their season.

jackson5

Agreed, and if Scanlon doesn't come back soon I could see them falling down to a 4 or 5 seed in the tournament.  Unfortunately for them they have a key stretch of WIT, Nichols and Endicott the following two weeks.

warriorcat

Even though I am a Salve supporter, injuries are part of the game and the rest of the players will have to step up.  This type of competitiveness makes for a great deal of fun for players and fans and gives everyone a chance.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Nichols has had a great team since Sheehan got there, but the defense has never come through when it mattered. I've been bitten three times now, I'll wait until they win a couple tournament games to jump on the bandwagon.