D3 vs. D1-AA, D2 and others

Started by Ralph Turner, August 30, 2006, 07:58:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

frank uible

NAIA, d3, d2 and d1aa are frequently overlooked (intentionally or not but in any event carelessly) by d1a fans and other d1a advocates when they consider various college football records.

mattvsmith

I get kind of ticked by people who think D3 is not "real college football". I think they have their categories bassackwards.

To me, "real college football" means a kid earns acceptance into college by having the grades, test scores, activities, and character that his school is looking for, and he plays football.

So D1AA, schools like Fordham, Colgate, the Ivy League seem to me to have genuine scholar athletes. But a school like Alabama? That's not a college sport; that is professional football, a farm team for the NFL.

frank uible

Rev, you've got it, but the vast majority of fans have no interest in changing their current attitude.

ExTartanPlayer

Quote from: Rt Rev J.H. Hobart on January 13, 2013, 12:35:19 AM
I get kind of ticked by people who think D3 is not "real college football". I think they have their categories bassackwards.

To me, "real college football" means a kid earns acceptance into college by having the grades, test scores, activities, and character that his school is looking for, and he plays football.

So D1AA, schools like Fordham, Colgate, the Ivy League seem to me to have genuine scholar athletes. But a school like Alabama? That's not a college sport; that is professional football, a farm team for the NFL.

Agreed.

I have tons of respect for the players in Division I programs' TALENT and their work ethic when it comes to football, and I acknowledge that many of them are also fine students. However, I concur with Rev's statement that it'd be nice if college football players at large were true representatives of their school, as the vast majority of Division III players are.
I was small but made up for it by being slow...

http://athletics.cmu.edu/sports/fball/2011-12/releases/20120629a4jaxa

Knightstalker

Quote from: ExTartanPlayer on January 14, 2013, 07:07:44 AM
Quote from: Rt Rev J.H. Hobart on January 13, 2013, 12:35:19 AM

Agreed.

I have tons of respect for the players in Division I programs' TALENT and their work ethic when it comes to football, and I acknowledge that many of them are also fine students. However, I concur with Rev's statement that it'd be nice if college football players at large were true representatives of their school, as the vast majority of Division III players are.

I believe that the majority of D-I football players are true representitives of their schools.  For each kid that leaves early for the NFL or gets into trouble with the school or law how many stay for their four years, go to class, and how many stay for that fifth year of eligibility due to a redshirt year and enroll in grad classes to stay with the team?

"In the end we will survive rather than perish not because we accumulate comfort and luxury but because we accumulate wisdom"  Colonel Jack Jacobs US Army (Ret).

K-Mack

Quote from: frank uible on January 12, 2013, 05:04:34 PM
NAIA, d3, d2 and d1aa are frequently overlooked (intentionally or not but in any event carelessly) by d1a fans and other d1a advocates when they consider various college football records.

Speaking as a copy editor, at both USA Today and Washington Post, the rule is to refer to Division I-A records and not college football records, unless they actually are college football records.

Broadcasters, IMO, are the worst offenders of using phrases like "in all of college football" but I stand up for it whenever I can.
Former author, Around the Nation ('01-'13)
Managing Editor, Kickoff
Voter, Top 25/Play of the Week/Gagliardi Trophy/Liberty Mutual Coach of the Year
Nastradamus, Triple Take
and one of the two voices behind the sonic #d3fb nerdery that is the ATN Podcast.