2017 South Atlantic

Started by Goldenrj, August 31, 2017, 01:05:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Goldenrj

I thought we would start a new thread for 2017 with the preseason poll and rankings for the CAC.

http://cacsports.com/sports/msoc/2017-18/releases/cac_msoc_pre_poll

No surprises at the top.  CNU picked to repeat with Mary Wash close behind.

Goldenrj

Quote from: Goldenrj on August 31, 2017, 01:05:06 PM
I thought we would start a new thread for 2017 with the preseason poll and rankings for the CAC.

http://cacsports.com/sports/msoc/2017-18/releases/cac_msoc_pre_poll

No surprises at the top.  CNU picked to repeat with Mary Wash close behind.

There is a short video and an interview with CNU coach Steve Shaw embedded at the bottom of that article.

NokeAlum15

In region:

Noke beats G'Boro 2-0
1993 National Quarterfinalist
Six NCAA Appearances
Nine-Time ODAC Champions
Six-Time VISA Champions

just4kix

Let's bump the poor South Atlantic before it falls off the first page.  Pretty nice in-region road victory for Mary Washington, 2-1 at Lynchburg yesterday.  Matchup of projected #2s in their conferences.

Goldenrj

CNU with a 4-0 win over Rutgers-Camden and 2-1 win over Greensboro, both Away.

NokeAlum15

Quote from: just4kix on September 15, 2017, 05:25:49 PM
Let's bump the poor South Atlantic before it falls off the first page.  Pretty nice in-region road victory for Mary Washington, 2-1 at Lynchburg yesterday.  Matchup of projected #2s in their conferences.

Roanoke travels to Mary Wash today.  Should be another good in region match.
Six NCAA Appearances
Nine-Time ODAC Champions
Six-Time VISA Champions

jknezek

W&L picks up 2 good wins. Rolling SVa 7-0 after the short road trip to Buena Vista Wednesday and beating Capital 4-0 at home today. That closes out the non-conference schedule and we're on to ODAC play next Saturday with a 5-0-1 record.

Ejay

1   Washington & Lee University - Defeated Southern VA 7-0; Defeated Capitol 4-0
2   Oglethorpe University - Lost to Truett-McConnell 0-2
3   Rutgers University-Newark - Defeated Cabrini 5-1; Defeated Rutgers-Camden 2-0
4   Rowan University - Defeated Hood 5-0, Lost to Messiah 2-3, Defeated NJCU 6-0
5   Lynchburg College - Lost to #10 Mary Washington 1-2
6   Maryville College - Defeated Ferrum 2-1
7   Stockton University - Tied Arcadia 0-0, Defeated Kean 1-0
8   York College (Pa.) - Lost to Johns Hopkins 4-1; Lost to Randolph 1-0
9   William Paterson University - Defeated Medgar Evers 8-0, Defeated TCNJ  3-0
10   University Of Mary Washington - Defeated #5 Lynchburg 2-1, Defeated Roanoke 2-1

Ejay

Week 2 Poll...

1. Washington & Lee University
2. Rutgers University-Newark
3. University Of Mary Washington
4. Rowan University
5. Lynchburg College
6.  Maryville College
7. Oglethorpe University
8. William Paterson University
9. Stockton University
10. Randolph-Macon College

firstplaceloser

Quote from: EB2319 on September 19, 2017, 12:36:00 PM
Week 2 Poll...

4. Rowan University
5. Lynchburg College
6.  Maryville College
7. Oglethorpe University
9. Stockton University

few of these teams have some cupcake schedules...WPU has one legit win over etown. and same with stockton. i'm more of a NJAC tracker but i can tell you Newark is LEGIT. hopefully they get their first NJAC trophy. and a lot of these teams are teams i've never even heard of, which is awesome.

Ji Sung Park the Bus

Quote from: firstplaceloser on September 19, 2017, 01:14:01 PM
Week 2 Poll...

4. Rowan University
5. Lynchburg College
6.  Maryville College
7. Oglethorpe University
9. Stockton University

few of these teams have some cupcake schedules...WPU has one legit win over etown. and same with stockton. i'm more of a NJAC tracker but i can tell you Newark is LEGIT. hopefully they get their first NJAC trophy. and a lot of these teams are teams i've never even heard of, which is awesome.

While I get that perhaps Willy P or Stockton's schedule hasn't been the best let's make sure we are fair with our assessments.  The overall record of Stockton's opponents thru 6 games is 15-11-13 in comparison the overall record of Rutgers Newark's opponents thru 7 games is 16-25-3.  I don't have the time to get into strength of schedule etc for every team but Rutgers Newark is off to a great start and is riding their ranking from the end of last year.  I really don't see an impressive win on their resume yet (only beat 2 teams with winning records; Nazareth 4-2 & Elmhurst 3-1-2).  Let's see how this plays out a little more before we dismiss or crown teams before more of the season is played.

firstplaceloser

Quote from: Ji Sung Park the Bus on September 19, 2017, 02:29:56 PM
Quote from: firstplaceloser on September 19, 2017, 01:14:01 PM
Week 2 Poll...

4. Rowan University
5. Lynchburg College
6.  Maryville College
7. Oglethorpe University
9. Stockton University

While I get that perhaps Willy P or Stockton's schedule hasn't been the best let's make sure we are fair with our assessments.  The overall record of Stockton's opponents thru 6 games is 15-11-13 in comparison the overall record of Rutgers Newark's opponents thru 7 games is 16-25-3.  I don't have the time to get into strength of schedule etc for every team but Rutgers Newark is off to a great start and is riding their ranking from the end of last year.  I really don't see an impressive win on their resume yet (only beat 2 teams with winning records; Nazareth 4-2 & Elmhurst 3-1-2).  Let's see how this plays out a little more before we dismiss or crown teams before more of the season is played.

i saw them play a few times this year so that's the only reason i claimed they were legit. they also have a pretty soft schedule but we will see when they meet Rowan what level they are on. Rowan is also very good now that Doherty is back

NokeAlum15

Randolph Macon cracks regional rankings even though they've played 1 team with more than 2 wins.  I get that they are 6-0, but that schedule is laughable. 
Six NCAA Appearances
Nine-Time ODAC Champions
Six-Time VISA Champions

Ejay

Quote from: NokeAlum15 on September 20, 2017, 09:01:40 AM
Randolph Macon cracks regional rankings even though they've played 1 team with more than 2 wins.  I get that they are 6-0, but that schedule is laughable.

Agreed.  I suspect that an unranked CNU would spank them.

jknezek

Quote from: EB2319 on September 20, 2017, 09:38:37 AM
Quote from: NokeAlum15 on September 20, 2017, 09:01:40 AM

Agreed.  I suspect that an unranked CNU would spank them.

Saturday they play W&L. That should provide some clarity.