Spring games

Started by Falconer, May 05, 2019, 08:16:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Falconer

Any news on spring games?

The Falcons lost 2-1 to D1 Loyola of MD, then defeated the alumni 2-0 the next weekend. All 3 goals were scored by Luke Groothoff, who mostly played CB last fall owing to big needs on that end of the field. In the fall, I anticipate him being somewhere up front--and leading the team in goals, barring any major injury. Word on the street is that the Falcons are bringing in some talented defenders, allowing LG to move forward where his particular skill set will be more naturally used. However, IMO the biggest holes are at the 6/8 positions, left open by the graduations of Samuel Ruiz Plaza and Justin Brautigam. I won't be surprised if it takes a little while to sort this out in the fall...

Two of the 3 goals are on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/MessiahMensSoccer/videos/1948105955299031/

https://www.facebook.com/MessiahMensSoccer/videos/2415490028680381/

blooter442

Quote from: Falconer on May 05, 2019, 08:16:12 PM
Any news on spring games?

The Falcons lost 2-1 to D1 Loyola of MD, then defeated the alumni 2-0 the next weekend. All 3 goals were scored by Luke Groothoff, who mostly played CB last fall owing to big needs on that end of the field. In the fall, I anticipate him being somewhere up front--and leading the team in goals, barring any major injury. Word on the street is that the Falcons are bringing in some talented defenders, allowing LG to move forward where his particular skill set will be more naturally used. However, IMO the biggest holes are at the 6/8 positions, left open by the graduations of Samuel Ruiz Plaza and Justin Brautigam. I won't be surprised if it takes a little while to sort this out in the fall...

Two of the 3 goals are on facebook:

https://www.facebook.com/MessiahMensSoccer/videos/1948105955299031/

https://www.facebook.com/MessiahMensSoccer/videos/2415490028680381/

I could see him moving into midfield but I see him very much as a solution for the 8 role. That being said I thought he played further forward in high school as like a 10 so perhaps that's where he's more likely to be.

NEFutbol90

Saint Joseph's College (Maine) won the NE Cup, their spring tournament, against Gordon College and University of New England. Thomas College (ME) was expected to be involved as well but backed out. First appearance for newly appointed head coach, Will Pike had to of gone exactly how he wished. With plenty of impact players returning and a new head coach thats been on the staff for 5 years it seems things have transitioned well after losing their program changing senior class. This should be the year SJC either makes their big impression on other top programs that they are here to stay with reinforcements for those seniors or that they take a step back.

truenorth

I wish the best for Will Pike, who is a good guy and played club soccer with my older son.  That said, I think it will be a challenge to sustain what the former coach built.  "Sudden" success stories like St. Joe's men's soccer are typically driven by the unique personality of a coach who was in the right place at the right time...and are hard to replicate once that coach leaves.

NEsoccerfan20

Endicott picked up 1-0 and 2-0 wins over Salem State and UMass Boston respectively in their spring tournament. The Gulls seemed to have landed a few transfers which are attacking options that will help in 2019.

truenorth

Am I recalling correctly that Endicott picked up a transfer or two last year?  Is that an overt strategy of theirs?

blooter442

Quote from: truenorth on May 10, 2019, 07:31:38 AM
Am I recalling correctly that Endicott picked up a transfer or two last year?  Is that an overt strategy of theirs?

Not sure that it's a "strategy" but they certainly do seem to get a number of transfers. The goalie from a few years ago (2017 methinks) was Nick Weinstein who transferred from Bryant, and this past year's goalie Jack Bacon came from BC. Obviously those are just goaltenders, I would be willing to guess that there are probably more on their roster.

It's interesting to see how different schools handle transfers. We have Endicott who seems to welcome them, obviously, and Babson picked up Fromhein and O'Rourke from Wheaton, although from what I was told both kids ended up there coincidentally and I do not believe there was any overt selling from the Babson staff. That may just be my lack of backroom knowledge, as I am sure that the "transfer-friendly" coaches have a general pulse on kids looking to move. Brandeis has obviously had a number of transfers over the years who have come in and done well, with Mike Soboff and Sam Vinson probably being the two most notable examples in recent years. Both came from D1 programs, not sure that there have been many D3 transfers into the Judges' program.

I gather that NESCACs generally aren't actively looking for or targeting potential transfers — this seems logical given their stringent admission requirements, particularly for transfers (the spring I applied as a transfer, Bowdoin received 165 transfer applications and accepted two). Can't imagine that the admissions offices are big on getting a transfer in unless his name happened to be Pulisic. The one example I can think of was Tal Smith who came from Howard to Tufts — and Shapiro mentioned that he generally doesn't take transfers on as to not disrupt the chemistry of the team. Based on some other scenarios I've seen where a D1 player has transferred in to a program and not gelled well with the team, I can't say I blame him, although it seemed like Smith's move worked out well for all parties.

On the contrary, I've seen a number of very fruitful transfers (e.g. Soboff and Vinson) so I guess it's up to the coach and the school to determine their approach. I would be curious if anyone knew of more NESCAC transfers (Mr.Right?).

1970s NESCAC Player

Quote from: blooter442 on May 10, 2019, 04:15:21 PM
I would be curious if anyone knew of more NESCAC transfers.

Colby recently had Avery Heilbron (2018 graduate) who transferred after his sophomore year at UNH and who was a captain for the Colby team in the fall of 2017.  I would be surprised if any coach in NESCAC is opposed to improving his squad where a qualified transfer seeks admission to his school.

truenorth

Anecdotally I can tell you that my older son was interested in transferring to Bowdoin after three years of playing at Brown.  He saw what a great overall college experience his younger brother was having at Bowdoin.  My older son had been coach Fran O'Leary's top recruit as a high school senior when he opted for Brown.  I communicated with Bowdoin's AD, whom I had come to know, and he said it was a nonstarter...Bowdoin accepts very few transfers under any circumstances, and likely none who have completed three years of college elsewhere...

But I do remember that Jake Duker had transferred from Duke to Amherst during Serpone's first year there.  Serpone had previously been an assistant at Duke and knew the kid, but I also think it was after Duker's sophomore year at Duke.

blooter442

Quote from: 1970s NESCAC Player on May 10, 2019, 05:18:36 PM
I would be surprised if any coach in NESCAC is opposed to improving his squad where a qualified transfer seeks admission to his school.

Good point...I think there's a difference between welcoming a really quality player who got in as a transfer on his own versus actively seeking them out and working to get them through admissions.

Quote from: truenorth on May 11, 2019, 07:49:18 AM
Anecdotally I can tell you that my older son was interested in transferring to Bowdoin after three years of playing at Brown.  He saw what a great overall college experience his younger brother was having at Bowdoin.  My older son had been coach Fran O'Leary's top recruit as a high school senior when he opted for Brown.  I communicated with Bowdoin's AD, whom I had come to know, and he said it was a nonstarter...Bowdoin accepts very few transfers under any circumstances, and likely none who have completed three years of college elsewhere...

Yeah, a lot of schools require transfer applicants to be eligible to complete two years at their school. I know Brandeis requires it and I am sure most if not all of the NESCACs have similar policies. Still, nice that you had that connection and saved the time!

OldNed

Quote from: truenorth on May 09, 2019, 07:47:06 AM
I wish the best for Will Pike, who is a good guy and played club soccer with my older son.  That said, I think it will be a challenge to sustain what the former coach built.  "Sudden" success stories like St. Joe's men's soccer are typically driven by the unique personality of a coach who was in the right place at the right time...and are hard to replicate once that coach leaves.

While I hope you're wrong and St. Joe's continues to be a New England power, I think you may be correct.  I like and respect Will Pike, too, and he does have some good players returning, but he lost a LOT with the 2019 class graduating. 

I wasn't at St. Joe's for the spring games, but I did watch them online and the St. Joe's team that had most of next year's starters struggled to score.  On the plus side, their defense was very good, but they're going to need to figure out how to score again this year.  I think the wild cards could be the 2 Noahs, Noah Robinson and Noah Elmore. 

blooter442

I'm a bit late here, Ned, but having moved back to Maine from Massachusetts this spring I was hoping to be able to drop in on an SJC spring game or two. Missed the boat, but oh well! In addition to the coaching change we all know there will be some big losses back to front (the spine of Mullen, Gaumer, Twomey, and Mattos) but there seems to be some talent remaining and I think Cody Elliott could have another big year. He has been solid since he was a FY and obviously finished last season very well with the winning goal in the GNAC title game and GNAC All-Tournament MVP. Looking at it he registered 14 assists each of the last two years, a very solid total regardless of conference. Obviously there will be some bumps in the road but I think they might just remain the best of the GNAC.

I was glad that DuBois stayed through to see that class (2019) play their final season...that was a special group and they had some great results against teams like Bowdoin, Middlebury, and Babson throughout their careers. Regardless of the GNAC's lack of relative strength, three straight NCAA 2nd Round appearances is nothing to sneeze at, particularly considering that a number of heralded programs get knocked out after the first day of play every year. They might not reach those peaks every year but establishing that heritage is huge. SJC may not have been taken seriously pre-2016 but they sure are now.

Falconer

Anyone have any information about spring games, the actual topic of this thread?

Ommadawn

Quote from: blooter442 on May 24, 2019, 01:01:59 PM
I'm a bit late here, Ned, but having moved back to Maine from Massachusetts this spring I was hoping to be able to drop in on an SJC spring game or two.

I will definitely miss your live game reports from schools in greater Boston, particularly Brandeis, Babson, and Tufts!

blooter442

Quote from: Ommadawn on May 27, 2019, 06:44:44 PM
I will definitely miss your live game reports from schools in greater Boston, particularly Brandeis, Babson, and Tufts!

You might still get a couple...I'll go down for a game or two...just not as many. ;)

As for Falconer's (admittedly valid) point regarding spring games and the thread, it would be awesome if there was a repository of scores. That being said, I'm well aware that spring games aren't sanctioned as part of NCAA activity so I get why there is not one (or at least to my knowledge).