Empire 8

Started by boobyhasgameyo, March 12, 2005, 12:24:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

magicman

Quote from: sjfcards on October 11, 2016, 01:18:16 PM
I don't see the Wendy's College Classic anywhere on the schedule. Has that been done away with finally?

Yes the Wendy's Classic has been retired for good.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The event, but many of the DIII teams are still playing each other I thought in a tournament format... but the idea of all those teams playing each other is gone. It was causing problems for Roberts Wesleyan more so than the DIII teams. We all know that in DIII if you play a non-Division III team you are basically wasting the game when it comes to regional rankings, at-large changes, even hosting opportunities. It is like you never played the game. The exact same thing is true, but in a much bigger way, for Roberts Wesleyan. They are guarunteed three games that end up not counting for them at the end of the season. That hurts them in regional rankings and at-large chances. As great a tournament as it was for the region and the city, it no longer works in the current basketball world.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

magicman

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on October 14, 2016, 10:31:52 AM
The event, but many of the DIII teams are still playing each other I thought in a tournament format... but the idea of all those teams playing each other is gone. It was causing problems for Roberts Wesleyan more so than the DIII teams. We all know that in DIII if you play a non-Division III team you are basically wasting the game when it comes to regional rankings, at-large changes, even hosting opportunities. It is like you never played the game. The exact same thing is true, but in a much bigger way, for Roberts Wesleyan. They are guarunteed three games that end up not counting for them at the end of the season. That hurts them in regional rankings and at-large chances. As great a tournament as it was for the region and the city, it no longer works in the current basketball world.

St. John Fisher, RIT, Rochester and Nazareth will take part in a tournament on December 2nd and 3rd at Nazareth. It's called "Mark's Pizzeria Crosstown Shootout". Nazareth will be hosting all 4 games. The pairings are as follows:

12-2-16

Fisher vs Rochester at 6 PM
RIT vs Nazareth at 8 PM

12-3-16

Fisher vs RIT at 6 PM
Rochester vs Nazareth at 8 PM

The 2 SUNYAC schools are each playing one of the teams from the former Wendy's tournament. Brockport State will play Hobart on 12-6 -16 at Hobart. They won't play any other team from the Wendy's tournament other than conference foe Geneseo State.

On that same day 12-6 Geneseo State will play Rochester at the Palestra in Rochester. That is the only school the Knights will play from the Wendy's tournament, aside from the 2 meetings with Brockport.

Rochester in addition to playing Geneseo and the 2 E8 schools in early December in the Crosstown Tournament will also have a home game against Hobart on 11-22-16 plus an away game at RIT on 1-3-17. So the Yellowjackets will have 5 of their 11 non-conference games against former Wendy's tournament participants. The only teams they missed are Brockport and Roberts Wesleyan.

RIT plays Naz and Fisher in the Crosstown tournament, Rochester as mentioned above and conference foe Hobart twice.

St. John Fisher in addition to the 2 games in the Crosstown Tournament against the Rochester schools will also play a home game against Hobart on 11-19 and of course the 2 regular season matchups against conference opponent Nazareth.

Hobart ends up with the above mentioned games against Fisher, Rochester, Brockport, and 2 regular season games against fellow Liberty League member RIT.

Nazareth, like Fisher, plays the 2 Rochester teams in the Crosstown Tournament and the 2 regular season games against the Cardinals.

Roberts Wesleyan is the only former Wendy's participant that will not be playing any of the DIII schools and as Dave mentioned this will probably be to their benefit since those 3 games in past years could hurt them, since they didn't count. They also didn't help the D3 teams they played.         

fisheralum91

Pre season poll out and ZERO representation from the E8
Not getting a single vote.
Seems odd to me that a conference that gets an AQ doesnt have a team that would be mentioned in the top 35
Odd

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: fisheralum91 on November 01, 2016, 08:50:56 AM
Pre season poll out and ZERO representation from the E8
Not getting a single vote.
Seems odd to me that a conference that gets an AQ doesnt have a team that would be mentioned in the top 35
Odd

Every conference gets an AQ; lots of conferences don't have any votes.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

fisheralum91

Understood.
Just was a head scratcher of a poll.
Not that its wrong either.
Just worth noting that the E8 was missing.....

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Who exactly should we voters be considering from the E8 and why? The only team I had on my radar for my ballot was St. John Fisher, but I couldn't make the argument for a squad that missed the NCAA tournament last season.

And as Ryan indicated, there are 43 conferences with AQs, by the logic that conferences with AQs should get votes in the Top 25 indicates that conferences like the NEAC, IIAC, Skyline, CCC, GNAC, etc. should get votes even though they traditionally don't have teams that good (occasionally, yes).
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

fisheralum91

Had my eye on the alma mater Dave.
Only graduate 2 and have a solid core back.
From a team that I thought had a chance to get an at large bid last year.
Hell-They dont lose to 'Wick and they were in anyway.

That leads me to another question.
With conference tourneys determining the AQ- what is the value of a stellar regular season if you have a strong one with  enough wins to get into the tourney.

in d 1 Syracuse seemed for years to have confidence in having a strong season and let up (or so it seemed ) in certain big east tourneys before the big dance.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The value of the regular season is ... invaluable. If you can't win the AQ, you need to position yourself as best as possible for one of the 21 (remember, full 64-team field this year for men) at-large bids. If you don't have a good regular season or have a weak schedule, you aren't going to be selected.

It isn't that easy. And don't use D1 as your barometer. For those who don't know, D1 men's and women's basketball have a different selection process than almost every other NCAA tournament field in all three divisions (if they had the same selection criteria, the men wouldn't have a 68-team field and the women's wouldn't have a 64-team field).

Looking at Fisher last year, losses to Rochester Tech and Brockport put them behind the eight-ball for the season and selection criteria before they were out of the first five games of the season. (My favorite saying: a game on November 15th means just as much as a game on February 15th). Then the loss to Oneonta in their seventh game put them in worse trouble with the fact they would have to run through the conference undefeated to be in a secure spot. Then two losses to Hartwick and a loss to Stevens (the second loss to Hartwick putting them in an at-large situation) really made it difficult especially from all already weak East Region outside of the SUNYAC which had a bit of a stranglehold on the regional rankings.

They also had some unlucky factors like their game against Dickinson not ending up being as strong on paper with Dickinson struggling for most of the season. But outside of the Dickinson and DeSales games, Fisher's out of conference schedule really wasn't the strongest and that can put a lot of pressure on a team to do well in their out of conference, avoid unnecessary losses in the conference schedule, and win the AQ.

fisheralum91

Certainly appreciate the insight Dave!

Cheers to a new season!

Bengalsrule

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on November 02, 2016, 12:46:27 PM
The value of the regular season is ... invaluable. If you can't win the AQ, you need to position yourself as best as possible for one of the 21 (remember, full 64-team field this year for men) at-large bids. If you don't have a good regular season or have a weak schedule, you aren't going to be selected.

It isn't that easy. And don't use D1 as your barometer. For those who don't know, D1 men's and women's basketball have a different selection process than almost every other NCAA tournament field in all three divisions (if they had the same selection criteria, the men wouldn't have a 68-team field and the women's wouldn't have a 64-team field).

Looking at Fisher last year, losses to Rochester Tech and Brockport put them behind the eight-ball for the season and selection criteria before they were out of the first five games of the season. (My favorite saying: a game on November 15th means just as much as a game on February 15th). Then the loss to Oneonta in their seventh game put them in worse trouble with the fact they would have to run through the conference undefeated to be in a secure spot. Then two losses to Hartwick and a loss to Stevens (the second loss to Hartwick putting them in an at-large situation) really made it difficult especially from all already weak East Region outside of the SUNYAC which had a bit of a stranglehold on the regional rankings.

They also had some unlucky factors like their game against Dickinson not ending up being as strong on paper with Dickinson struggling for most of the season. But outside of the Dickinson and DeSales games, Fisher's out of conference schedule really wasn't the strongest and that can put a lot of pressure on a team to do well in their out of conference, avoid unnecessary losses in the conference schedule, and win the AQ.

Plus k Dave (I'll  keep my SUNYAC comments/thoughts to myself, for the time being  :-[ ). It's obvious that you do your homework!  ;)

magicman

D3hoops has come out with their preseason Men's All-America Team. 3 players from the East Region have made the list.

Brian Sortino, Oswego State guard, has been named to the 2nd team.

Keegan Ryan, St John Fisher forward, has been named to the 2nd team.

Sam Borst-Smith, Rochester University guard, has been named to the 4th team.

Here's a link to the complete list of players chosen:
http://www.d3hoops.com/awards/all-americans/men/preseason-2017

fisheralum91

Congrats to Keegan....HE will be a horse this year!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Believe it not, the 2016-17 basketball season is just days away. But the season can't start without Hoopsville hitting the air!

Tune in tonight starting at 7pm as Dave talks to the two preseason numbers one teams, finds out how the offseason went for the two defending national championships, and touches bases with the men's and women's basketball committee chairs.

Guests include:
- Kevin Vande Streek, men's basketball committee chair and head coach for Calvin
- Bobbi Morgan, women's basketball committee chair and head coach for Haverford
- John Tauer, head coach for No. 10 St. Thomas men
- Dave Hixon, head coach for No. 1 Amherst men
- Jeff Hans, head coach for No. 4 Thomas More women
- Carla Berube, head coach for No. 1 Tufts women

You can watch the show here: http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville/archives/2016-17/nov13

You can also tune into the podcast(s) after the show has aired:
SoundCloud: www.soundcloud.com/hoopsville
iTunes: https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/hoopsville/id1059517087

Don't forget you can always interact with us:
Twitter: @d3hoopsville or #Hoopsville
Facebook: www.facebook.com/Hoopsville
Email: hoopsville@d3hoops.com
YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/d3hoopsville

sjfcards

Fisher gets started tonight against SUNY Poly. I am interested to see how Fisher deals with the loss of Chaz Lott and Tyler Hart. We know what we have with Ryan down low, and other guys who played big minutes last year (Tyler English, Zach Ottaway, Alex Sausville), but those two did a lot of scoring last year. Especially Hart. Will be interesting to see who will run the point, as that job was Lott's for the last 4 years until he got hurt last year.

Fisher was a pretty solid team last year that has a lot of key guys back. Hopefully they get off to a good start this week.
GO FISHER!!!