BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

scotty

when i joined the board a year ago, i inquired to why some of the OAC schools had rosters in football that dwarfed the NCAC schools...big time negative karma...i actually worried about my karma...shame on me...

"Red Stripe Beer and Regae"...helping the whiteman relax...
Boo Creepy Foot Doctor, Hooray Beer.

BASH6-4-3

Good luck to the men of WOO this week as they defend their Mideast title.
May your pitchers throw strikes, fielders make plays and hitters find outfield grass with men on base.  Most of all, make the rest of us in the NCAC proud.
"This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray.  It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again.  Oh...people will come Ray." - Field of Dreams, 1989

woosterbooster

Lol, thanks BASH.  And may the men of BASH continue their improvement next season and show the men of WITT the door.  :)

BASH6-4-3

Nice game reports on the regional updates page.
Thanks to David Collinge for the Mideast updates from Terre Haute. 
Reminds me of Saturdays in the fall sitting in front of my computer following all the games in the midwest as I soak in the Colorado sunshine
"This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray.  It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again.  Oh...people will come Ray." - Field of Dreams, 1989

David Collinge

The bad news is that Wooster lost their regional opener to Manchester, and now must face Otterbein in an elimination game.

The good news is that the Scots committed just one harmless error, a two-out throwing error by Adam Samson that did not result in a run. 

Wooster faced Ottebein twice in the regular season, with the Scots taking both.  Wooster won 13-5 at Westerville April 4 behind Anthony Trappuzano (6.1 IP, 5 R, 4 ER, 8 H, 1 BB, 6 K), today's likely starter.  Story.  A week later, the Cardinals traveled north and dropped a 13-9 decision to the Scots.   Story.

Otterbein will likely start OAC Pitcher of the Year Dan Remenowsky (8-2, 1.64), who was held out of the Cardinals' first two regional games.  Remenowsky did not face the Scots in either game, nor in either game in last year's Terre Haute regional.

Spence

Those regular season scoring totals are not at all indicative of what challenge for Wooster tonight will be like. Remenowsky is a probable all-american pitcher and was the OAC pitcher of the year over Eisenberg.

Tough spot. Weird spot.

David Collinge

On the contrary, I believe that actual game results are at least somewhat indicative of how these teams might perform against each other.  This is especially true of Otterbein's batting line against the pitcher they're likely to see tonight.  I don't see how you can think otherwise.

And I did mention Remenowsky's bona fides and point out that the Scots had not faced him.  Maybe you didn't notice that.

imderekpoe

Quote from: David Collinge on May 18, 2006, 08:28:13 PM
On the contrary, I believe that actual game results are at least somewhat indicative of how these teams might perform against each other. This is especially true of Otterbein's batting line against the pitcher they're likely to see tonight. I don't see how you can think otherwise.

And I did mention Remenowsky's bona fides and point out that the Scots had not faced him. Maybe you didn't notice that.

DC - I thought that you made it quite clear that the Scots would be up against a very good pitcher tonight.  In any case, Remenowsky is off to a great start.  Through the first 5 batters the offensive highlight was a popup to short by Enos!  After 2 innings he's the only Scot to put the ball in play.

1 - 0 Cardinals in the middle of the second.

Spence

I assume the difference is crystal now.

David Collinge

Gloat all you want, if it pleases you.  I applaud Remenowsky for an outstanding performance.  He's a special talent, and nobody in here has ever questioned that, despite what you want folks to think. 

In the meantime, Trappuzano also had a pretty good outing, holding Otterbein to 3 runs...not unlike his non-indicative performance against Ott in the regular season. 

Spence

13, 13, 1. You tell me if it was indicative.

Not quite the same when you can throw your best pitching and don't have mid-week conference doubleheaders to worry about against teams that are actually capable of beating you.

I never thought Trapuzzano wouldn't have a good outing.

ScotsFan

First off, congrats to the Wooster seniors on their fine carreers on the diamond for the Scots. 

I don't know if shocking or disappointing is the better term to use when describing the abrupt end to the Scots' season.  I'm sitting here trying to figure out what went wrong for the Scots the past 2 days in Indidana, and the biggest thing I keep coming back to is the WEATHER!!! 

Think about it.  Wooster had Manchester's starter, Sprunger, on the ropes on Thursday evening before Mother Nature decided to interrupt things.  Wooster already had 4 runs in and had 2 on with one out when things were stopped.  Had the game not been stopped, who knows how many more runs Wooster could've have tagged on?  Not to mention the fact that John Oliver was cruising, only making one bad pitch through 4 innings of work.  He was well on his way to another complete game.  Add to all of that, the stoppage gave Manchester some needed rest.  The advantage of being the #1 seed was no longer an advantage. 

I'm not saying that things would be different had Mother Nature not interrupted.  Manchester is more than capable of putting up big #'s and they could have gotten to Oliver.  It just didn't look to good for the Spartans.  Wooster had all the Mo on their side and they seemed to have Sprunger figured out pretty well.  Then it all gets stopped and Manchester brings in their closer the following morning and he pitches lights out for 5.2 innings.  I know that the Scots have no one to blame but themselves for their poor showing in the Mideast Regional, but I'm putting a large portion of the blame on good ole Mother Nature!

Spence

Rained for both teams. Wooster left 11 on base in the first 5 innings, didn't put it away when they should and Manchester came back and beat them. Manchester's a resilient, no-quit team with or without a rain delay. They were down 4-1 to Marietta today, but were hanging around just like they did against Wooster, just clinging to the edge of the game, then came from behind.

Waters and Remenowsky completely overpowered Wooster's perceived strength -- offense. Their down the line pitching was what it was expected to be -- decent, not great, but decent. One would think it was good enough to win for a team that was averaging like 11 runs per 9 innings. But that might have been a misleading stat.

Waters was coming in for Manchester against Wooster, rain or not, I suspect. Their MO in close games seems to be to keep it close long enough to get it to Waters. Obviously in a tourney situation, long enough is not as long as it was in the regular season.

Win that first game and only throwing Oliver 4 innings becomes a huge advantage. But if you lose, then yes, being the #1 seed doesn't matter anymore. Obviously.

ScotsFan

Quote from: Spence on May 19, 2006, 04:13:11 PM
Rained for both teams. Wooster left 11 on base in the first 5 innings, didn't put it away when they should and Manchester came back and beat them. Manchester's a resilient, no-quit team with or without a rain delay. They were down 4-1 to Marietta today, but were hanging around just like they did against Wooster, just clinging to the edge of the game, then came from behind.

Waters and Remenowsky completely overpowered Wooster's perceived strength -- offense. Their down the line pitching was what it was expected to be -- decent, not great, but decent. One would think it was good enough to win for a team that was averaging like 11 runs per 9 innings. But that might have been a misleading stat.

Waters was coming in for Manchester against Wooster, rain or not, I suspect. Their MO in close games seems to be to keep it close long enough to get it to Waters. Obviously in a tourney situation, long enough is not as long as it was in the regular season.

Win that first game and only throwing Oliver 4 innings becomes a huge advantage. But if you lose, then yes, being the #1 seed doesn't matter anymore. Obviously.

Yes it rained for both teams.  Thanks for pointing out the obvious!  My point was that the rain clearly hurt Wooster more than it hurt Manchester.  As highlighted in your own quote, you said Manchester was bringing in Waters soon anyways, so their gameplan didn't have to change much as far as rearranging their pitching matchups.  I highly doubt that Coach Pettorini had any plans on removing Oliver anytime soon and even if and when that would have happened, he wouldn't have had to go to his #2 starter to complete the game.  Furthermore, Wooster had Sprunger on the ropes and you can't deny that.  Does Manchester rally against a solid pitcher like Oliver?  It's possible, but not likely.  All I'm saying is, the rain hurt Wooster a heck of a lot more than it hurt Manchester.

One other interesting tidbit.  Because of the rain, Wooster went from the possibility of having Thursday off, to having to play a game and a half.  The #7 seed Adrian Bulldogs went from having to face an elimination game on Thursday to having the day off!  Guess all those advantages for being the #1 seed were thrown right out the window when the rains came Wednesday night!

Spence

You're confusing losing advantages from the rain with losing advantages from well, losing. You lost the advantages of being in the winner's bracket when you lost? Thank you Mr. Obvious!

Your post made it sound like you would hang 10 runs on Sprunger and I don't think that was going to be the case because he wouldn't have been left in long enough.

Look, if you couldn't score enough runs to beat teams with Samson and Trapuzzano throwing fairly well, then you weren't going to win the tournament anyway, even if it only took two wins. You still would have had to get by Marietta which knocked Waters around.

All you have to do is win. Score another run or two. Do something. Anything. Five runs is by almost half the least runs Manchester scored in the tournament. Wooster had every chance to win that game, rain, no rain, hail, fog, lightning (all of which we've had at one regional or another!).

Blaming the weather is just weak.