BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spence

Scotsfan, there's plenty of dead time at the end of Wooster's schedule. From April 24 to May 2 they play all of 4 games. This is NOT during Finals week (during which are 3 of the 4 days of the NCAC postseason!) Or they could have played two against Wabash on their non-divisional weekend this weekend. Then you only have to fill in one game, which could easily be done during that late-season slow period.

Like Tom Hanks said in "A League Of Their Own"...let's go, God knows we have a game today. It's not like most people observe the traditional day of rest on Sunday anyway, even on Easter. Mostly they watch their kids hunt eggs and gorge themselves on Peeps, jellybeans and chocolate-covered rabbits, none of which have anything to do with Death, Burial and Resurrection of Christ. Then maybe they'll go to morning church because it's the right thing to do (even if they don't go any other time; probably not exactly what the Savior had in mind) and because the church is having potluck afterwards. :)

But even if you don't play on that day, there are plenty of other solutions that, by my estimation and I think that of others, would be preferable to play a doubleheader on Friday afternoon, considering that conference rule.

Wooster Booster, you really need to get out more and see more facilities. OOOO, an inning-by-inning scoreboard...never seen one of those before!

Standing room is actually a problem for hosting. The facility needs to be enclosed, to as to be able to charge attendance. Parking looks like it would be a nightmare from looking at the campus map. And temporary bleachers are a bad idea. They're not secured and there have been cases where temporary bleachers collapsed and caused injuries (and most likely, lawsuits). Don't think the NCAA wants to go down that road. In addition, lately it seems the NCAA is only hosting at facilities without lights as a last resort.

This is without even knowing if Wooster has the other facilities necessary and/or preferred like permanent restrooms, adequate press facilities (for radio, adequate seating for out of town media and administrators), umpire facilities.

What do you mean "when Wooster has hosted in the past?" I didn't think Wooster had ever hosted an NCAA regional at Art Murray. They or the NCAC have hosted, but it was in Canton, far as I know.

Pat Coleman

Conferences have all sorts of rules. I bet a lot of people think it's stupid that the OAC can't recruit off campus and changes its football schedule every year, but it happens.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Spence

True Pat, but doesn't it seem that the NCAC (and Wooster if it had any choice) has created its own problem here?

Pat Coleman

Not sure why you are expending so much energy over it. I doubt this is something that anyone here can especially fix and I don't think the rest of the NCAC wants you coming in to argue over it.

Just a thought.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Spence

I'm expending the energy because it looks suspiciously like Wooster's trying to pull one over by rescheduling the Marietta game on a favorable weekend for them, and quite unfavorable for Marietta (road DH at Ohio Northern the day before, conf DH Tues., while Wooster has no conference games for 7 days on either side?)

Which looks suspiciously like them ducking out of last year's game.

Personally, I hope the game never gets played, Brewer never puts the Woo Woos on the schedule again and they can just rack up their 17-18 cheap wins  a year against OberHiraKenyaGheny. That or we go up there and win with our like #7 pitcher against their ace, of course (4 starters plus a couple relievers for the conference games), then Brewer never puts the Woo Woos on the schedule again.

Btw, this is a perfectly legitimate topic to discuss on the NCAC board. It involves an NCAC team and their schedule.

Pat Coleman

Perhaps you should take your suspicions up with Wooster, then, and not with NCAC fans.

I agree it looks like last year. And I remember what last year's discussion blew up into. I'm not posting here randomly.

Spence

Well I've said all there is to say really.

ScotsFan

Spence

But I'm the antagonizer, eh?

Way to take the high road. Stay classy.

ScotsFan

You really are something else Spence.  You're the last one that should be criticizing others for lack of class!!! 

I would also like to clarify something for you:
Quote from: Spence on April 03, 2007, 02:04:12 PM

What do you mean "when Wooster has hosted in the past?" I didn't think Wooster had ever hosted an NCAA regional at Art Murray. They or the NCAC have hosted, but it was in Canton, far as I know.

How about checking the following link out for yourself Mr. Knowitall:

2004 Wooster Baseball Final Results

Scroll down to the bottom and you can plainly see that Wooster did indeed host the Mideast Regional that year!

Another thing. 
Quote from: Spence on April 03, 2007, 02:04:12 PM

Standing room is actually a problem for hosting. The facility needs to be enclosed, to as to be able to charge attendance. Parking looks like it would be a nightmare from looking at the campus map. And temporary bleachers are a bad idea. They're not secured and there have been cases where temporary bleachers collapsed and caused injuries (and most likely, lawsuits). Don't think the NCAA wants to go down that road. In addition, lately it seems the NCAA is only hosting at facilities without lights as a last resort.

This is without even knowing if Wooster has the other facilities necessary and/or preferred like permanent restrooms, adequate press facilities (for radio, adequate seating for out of town media and administrators), umpire facilities.

Seeing as how you seem to be the resident expert on what a poor facility Art Murray Field is and all, judging from your post, it doesn't even seem like you've ever even been there?!  If you have, why do you have to go by the campus map to determine that the parking lots seem to be a 'nightmare'??  And they obviously met all the criteria since they did host just 3 seasons ago!

Lastly, maybe you should go join up with Oliver Stone on your idea that Wooster is trying to pull one over on Marietta!  I hear he's always a sucker for a good conspiracy theory?! ::)

Now that I've gotten that off my chest, I have one last thing to say.  Do us all a favor and go chat with yourself over on the OAC board, because after today, I have no intentions of caring what you have to say and I would hope that everyone in here will follow suit, so you will basically be talking to yourself in here as well.  At least you can do it on your own board!

Spence

OK so they hosted once, probably for lack of anywhere else to have it. I was wrong, it does happen on occasion, especially when I'm in Mississippi in training status (no cable TV, no internet) I notice they haven't gone back and have gone to Rose-Hulman two straight years since even though it's on the far end of the region.

Finally, Washington University hosted last year despite not having lights. Doesn't mean that was the preferred place. Sometimes you're just hard up and have to take what's there.

Lastly, I haven't been there, I don't ever want to go there. I've heard all I need to from people that have been there. I don't really aim to go much of anywhere in northern Ohio, really. Judging from the negative population growth in large parts of the region, it doesn't appear I'm alone.

One last thing, explain to me why of all days they could have chosen Wooster chooses a weekend where they don't have a divisional game to worry about for the reschedule date?

Oh and to close, you're not the only person on this board. It is not your role to censor it.

woosterbooster

Quote from: Spence on April 04, 2007, 02:17:26 PMOne last thing, explain to me why of all days they could have chosen Wooster chooses a weekend where they don't have a divisional game to worry about for the reschedule date?

This is Wooster's remaining schedule:

April 6 OBERLIN* (2) 1:00
April 7 OBERLIN* (2) 1:00
April 11 at Kent State 3:00
April 12 at Otterbein 4:00
April 14 WABASH (2) 1:00
April 15 WABASH Noon
April 15 MARIETTA 3:00
April 18 MUSKINGUM 4:00
April 19 at Heidelberg 4:00
April 21 at Hiram* (2) 1:00
April 22 at Hiram* (2) 1:00
April 24 OTTERBEIN 4:00
April 25 at Denison 7:00
May 1 at Ohio Northern 4:00
May 2 at John Carroll 4:00
May 5-6 NCAC Tournament Semifinal Series TBD

Kent State and Otterbein fill out next week's schedule because of the two game-date maximum between Mondays and Fridays.  The weekend of the 21st and 22nd is booked full with Hiram.  The following week, again because of the rule that you should now be familiar with, is also full with games against Otterbein and Denison.

On Saturday May 28th Wooster is off but Marietta hosts Heidelberg.  On Sunday May 29th Wooster is again off.  Marietta appears to be also except for a home JV doubleheader.

The following week is full for Wooster with games against Ohio Northern and John Carroll.

The only other day that I can see where Marietta could possibly be rebooked would be Sunday May 29th.  Rather than loudly complaining on here that Marietta is getting screwed, why don't you call the two athletic departments and see if anyone can tell you why that date wasn't chosen?  While you're at it, you might want to ask the Marietta coaching staff if they have any complaints about the cancellation of today's game and the rescheduling date. 

It's very possible, believe it or not, that they preferred playing on the Sunday when Wabash was here rather than waiting until deep into the season when more postponements may pile up and the scheduling of league games becomes a problem.

Jim Dixon

Quote from: Wooster Booster on April 04, 2007, 03:46:56 PM
[The only other day that I can see where Marietta could possibly be rebooked would be Sunday May 29th.

If I was Wooster and Marietta.  A game on 29 May would suit me just fine (two days into the Championship round).

I expect you meant 29 April.

I would expect that all schools schedules are set up to favor their team. 

+K for Wooster Booster for making me aware of the two game rule between Monday and Friday.

woosterbooster

Jim -

Yep, I meant April 29th.  Thanks for the karma point, I've been finding them hard to come by, so I won't give it back, although it was Scotsfan that first mentioned the rule. :)

mideastfan

Quote from: Jim Dixon on April 04, 2007, 04:10:37 PM
Quote from: Wooster Booster on April 04, 2007, 03:46:56 PM
[The only other day that I can see where Marietta could possibly be rebooked would be Sunday May 29th.

If I was Wooster and Marietta.  A game on 29 May would suit me just fine (two days into the Championship round).

hey, being a Marietta fan, I'd LOVE to see MC and Wooster play on May 29th.  In fact I'm thinking that they need to ship one of them to a different regional this year (and Otterbein to a third regional), so they all can meet up in Wisconsin over Memorial Day weekend and beat up on each other there!!

I have a feeling that if they were all shipped to different regions last year, they all would have been playing in Wisconsin......in fact, I'm pretty sure of it.