BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woosterbooster

I'm tired of you too, Spence, very much so.

Much of what you write has a basis in fact.  Wooster's league is indeed weak, weaker even than in recent years.  Because of this, the Scots have been able to throw their top of the line pitchers against non-league opponents.  I'd say that Wooster probably is somewhat overrated and that it's not at all clear how well they'll do in the NCAAs.

But this is all common knowledge.  Virtually everybody that reads this board is aware of this and does not need you to continually attempt to shove it down their throats.  Your tone is what sets you apart; it contains a dislike of Wooster and it's program that I find abhorrent, especially since when pushed to the pine you refuse to put forth any reasons.

You blame the Wooster program for things that it has no control over.  Is it Wooster's fault that their league is weak?  Of course not, and you know that.  Is it their fault that they are possibly a bit overrated by the pollsters?  Not at all, but one would think so from reading your posts. 

Does Wooster manipulate the schedule to obtain an advantage?  Hell no, it takes two to tango, and when a game is lined up no one has been coerced to play it.  In order to level the playing field, should Wooster throw second-line pitchers in their non-league games when their front-line guys are rested and ready to go?  Heck no, they're going out there to play to win, just as their opponents are.

Spence, fifty years ago, well before the internet, conversations such that take place in this forum generally occurred in neighborhood taverns.  Imagine you, as a Giants' fan, bellying up to some bar in Brooklyn and spouting off, as you do here regarding Wooster, about how the Dodger organization completely sucks.  You'd last about two minutes before some truck driver or cabby either broke your nose or, if you were luckier, gave you the bum's rush out the door.

You epitomize one of the major problems with the internet.  Anyone can pretty much say anything anywhere.   While that may sound well and good on the surface, unfortunately it comes with this little tidbit.  No one is accountable for their actions. Here, all you need is a thick skin and persistance and you can annoy everyone to no end.  You've had lots of success at doing that over the last two years.

But believe me, the vast majority of readers of this forum know you for what you are and would be very happy to see you move on to some other locale.

Spence

What you see as a problem I see as a virtue. Free speech is what has traditionally set America apart and the Internet is our importation of that virtue to the world.

It's your prerogative to believe it or not. Just like you don't have to listen to a guy on the street corner, or in the grocery line, or on television. If you don't think I have a clue about what I'm talking about (that would be foolhardy, but whatever), fine. Skip the post.

I think that's the first time I've seen anyone on here allow that Wooster might be overrated in 1 1/2 seasons.

As for it being common knowledge what I say, if it is then why do you all react so defensively when I say it? And why does Wooster keep getting ranked #1 and getting top seeds? I'd say it's not as common as you think.

Li'l Giant

Quote from: Spence on April 26, 2007, 05:36:44 PM
What you see as a problem I see as a virtue. Free speech is what has traditionally set America apart and the Internet is our importation of that virtue to the world.

Free speech means "free from prior restraint". It does NOT mean "free from consequences" (e.g. karma like Bush's approval rating).

Both you and Don Imus are great examples of that.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

Spence

I'm well aware of what it doesn't mean.

However, the worst consequences of being honest and steadfast so far has been a negative karma rating. I sleep just fine at night.

I really doubt you want to hear my take on Don Imus.

woosterbooster

You've been steadfast but far short of honest, your comments on Wooster's scheduling being a prime example.  And the fact that we're only able to hit you with negative karma points rather than the left hooks that you would surely receive in a Brooklyn bar is exactly my point.

I've said this before and I'll say it again.  I don't give a flying hoot if you come in here and claim that Wooster can't hit, field, or pitch.  That's your opinion.  But you've continually taken it farther than that, insinuating that the program is somewhat less than ethical.  When called on to produce reasons, you cry foul, lamenting that if you put them forth you might be banned.  This is the behaviour that bothers me and I'm sure keeps you sleeping alone.

Pat Coleman

WB: I'm sure there's no reason to get personal. That's hardly an appropriate response. I let the vague threats alone the first time but given your history on this board I am surprised you would choose to go back there.

There won't be another warning on this subject.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

ScotsFan

Quote from: Spence on April 26, 2007, 11:32:37 PM
I'm well aware of what it doesn't mean.
However, the worst consequences of being honest and steadfast so far has been a negative karma rating. I sleep just fine at night.
Weren't you involved in some sort of ban from this forum???  I'd say those were some pretty severe consequenses!  Especially since you shudder behind the excuse of being banned more than anyone else I've seen in the years I've been following D3football.com, hoops.com and now baseball.com. 

Quote from: Spence on April 26, 2007, 05:36:44 PM
As for it being common knowledge what I say, if it is then why do you all react so defensively when I say it?  And why does Wooster keep getting ranked #1 and getting top seeds? I'd say it's not as common as you think.
I'd say the reason is that you are constantly insinuating that it is somehow Wooster's fault!  Please elaborate on how Wooster is somehow responsible for the sudden decline in the NCAC and what they should have done to prevent it??  Please elaborate on how Wooster is to blame for how they are perceived in the national and regional polls??  Please elaborate on just what more Wooster could do to strengthen their nonconference schedule??  They played some traditionally strong teams during their spring trip to Florida.  Is it their fault that some of those traditionally strong teams aren't so strong this year??  And as far as nonconference regional competition, if all things continue as a go for Sunday, Wooster will have played the top 3 teams out of the regions best conference.  Not to mention, one of the top teams out of the HCAC, which you yourself touted as the 2nd best conference in the region.  And then when they do go play and BEAT a Div I opponent you come in here and play it off like Kent St must have fielded their JV squad or something!  It's things like this that make you such an irritant to many on this board!

I think Wooster has done about as much as they could in scheduling tough nonconference competition.  You don't think they realize just how weak the competition is in the NCAC??  Why do you think they make a concerted effort to schedule the top OAC teams every year?  If they were soooooo concerned about being ranked #1 Nationally and regionally as you seem to imply, it doesn't seem like such a good strategy to go out and schedule such tough competition.  They do it so they can get a true gauge on just how good they are.  Beating up on Hiram for 4 games doesn't give you a gauge.  Losing to Ott on Tuesday gave the Scots a much better gauge on where they stand!

The bottom line is that after you get all of your conference games out of the way, and after you get all of the reshuffling of the schedule thanks to springtime in Ohio out of the way, there is only so many openings that can be filled on the schedule and I think that Wooster has traditionally done about as well as could be asked of them to go out and look for the toughest nonconference competition they can get.  Which brings me to another one of my dislikes about you and that is whining about how Wooster always seems to be at a scheduling advantage when they do face nonconference opponents.  Once again, please elaborate on just what you would ask of Wooster and their coachse to do in situations like Tuesday when, God forbid, Wooster had the benefit of going with their #2 vs. Ott's #3?! :o  The horror of it all!!! 

I've said it before and I'll say it again.  Your constant vitriol towards all things Wooster has gotten very very tired!  It's not to say that some of the things you say aren't true.  It's for the countless times you seem to put Wooster in your crosshairs for things like scheduling advantages and rankings and conference strength (or lackthereof).  These are things Wooster has not and will continue to not have any control over!  I just wish you could somehow figure this out and get off of your constant whiny little soapbox over it and DEAL WITH IT!!!

ScotsFan

Now that my Spence rant of the week is over with, I thought I'd turn my focus back onto the NCAC like what this board is meant for.

Wooster has already secured the #1 seed for the tournament.  Out of the East, Allegheny looks to be in the driver's seat in 2nd place, but Kenyon and Oberlin are still alive mathematically.  Allegheny needs a split of their 4 game series with Kenyon this weekend to eliminate the Lords.  Taking 3 of 4 would punch the Gators ticket into the NCAC tournament.

Out west, there is a different story altogether.  There are still 3 teams alive for the 2 tournament slots available.  OWU is currently alone in 1st at 11-3 followed by Denison at 10-4.  Wittenberg checks in in 3rd with a record of 8-4.  Witt has the toughest road to haul as they have makeup DH's shceduled at OWU on Saturday and at Denison on Sunday.  All the Bishops and Big Red need is splits with Witt to ensure their entry into the NCAC tournament.  If Witt could somehow split with OWU and sweep Denison they would pass the Big Red for second.  And Witt could still win the West if they pull off the unthinkabale sweep both OWU and Denison.

Once the seedings are determined, Wooster will host the 2nd place team out of the NCAC West while the 1st place team out of the NCAC West will more than likely be hosting Allegheny.  The winners of the 2 series will meet at Denison for the NCAC Tournament Championship Series May 10-11.

Nonbiased Observer

Denison beat Wooster 6-5 tonight.

countyroad

Wooster managed to sweep Marietta on Sunday 14-0 and 7-3.  Marietta did not throw the best of their staff.  Baumler did throw 2/3 for MC coming off his injury.  Even though MC didn't throw their top guys I don't think that was the cause for MC's lack of offense. 
How Wooster's freshman Johnson?  He had a nice day playing short.  Coach moved sophomre Quimby to 2nd and put Johnson at 2nd.  Johnson made some nice plays and hit a homer.   

woosterbooster

Johnson looked very smooth in the field and comfortable at the position.  He made all the routine plays plus started a pretty dp with a backhanded stop on a shot in the hole.  He showed some range into the outfield on popups, and was the middle man on a cutoff play that got a Marietta runner going to third.  I hope he stays at short permanently.

John Quimby, for his part, and to my eyes, looks like a better secondbaseman than shortstop.  He made the plays there yesterday, including turning dps and making a nice play going to his left.  He still drops too many ground balls, but playing on the right side you can usually live with that, and it's nice to have Quimby's bat remain in the lineup.

Thirdbaseman Dan Skulina is out with a knee injury and did not play yesterday.  Right fielder Pat Christenson, who missed the Denison game on Friday completely, DH'd yesterday.  He has a stress fracture in one of his feet and is likely reduced to only swinging the bat for the rest of the year.  That's a blow to the Scots as he's an excellent defensive right fielder.

The big positives yesterday were the performances of both Adam Samson and Anthony Trapuzzano.  Both were strong and went the distance and clearly look ready for post-season play.  I'm predicting that both Matts (Barnes and DeGrande), along with some others, will get some work at Ohio Northern on Tuesday and that Samson and Trapuzzano will go an inning or two on Wednesday against John Carroll just for a tune-up.   

ScotsFan

The NCAC Tournament field is almost set.  Wooster is the top seed and still awaiting their opponent.  That opponent being either Denison or Wittenberg.  Wittenberg's postseason hopes are fading after being swept yesterday by OWU.  The Bishops clinched the NCAC West with the sweep and will host Allegheny.  The Gators clinched 2nd in the NCAC East with a spit of their 4 game series with Kenyon over the weekend. 

Denison hosts Wittenberg in a DH today to determine the final piece of the NCAC tournament puzzle.  Witt needs a sweep over Denison to keep their season alive.  All Denison needs is a split to eliminate the Tigers.  Whomever ends up finsihing 2nd will have to take on Wooster at Art Murray next weekend. 

Persnoally, I'm hoping for the Big Red to be Wooster's opponent so the Scots can exact some revenge for allowing Densison to come from behind to beat them last Friday!

countyroad

I was aware of Pat's stress fracture, which as mentioned stinks, because he has a great arem in right field.  I was not aware of Skulina's knee problem. 
Not a good time to have injuries. 

ScotsFan

Quote from: Wooster Booster on April 30, 2007, 09:35:43 AM
Johnson looked very smooth in the field and comfortable at the position.  He made all the routine plays plus started a pretty dp with a backhanded stop on a shot in the hole.  He showed some range into the outfield on popups, and was the middle man on a cutoff play that got a Marietta runner going to third.  I hope he stays at short permanently.

John Quimby, for his part, and to my eyes, looks like a better secondbaseman than shortstop.  He made the plays there yesterday, including turning dps and making a nice play going to his left.  He still drops too many ground balls, but playing on the right side you can usually live with that, and it's nice to have Quimby's bat remain in the lineup.
I didn't have the opportunity to see the Scots on Sunday.  With the lack of too many nice days this spring, I have to jump on every nice one that comes along on the weekends to catch up with my yardwork!  Anyways, I did catch the end of game 2 on the radio yesterday and both Breckenridge and Nemeth commented on how well they liked Johnson at short and Quimby at 2nd.  They were very impressed with Johnson's play at short and they too felt that Quimby looked like a better fit at 2nd.  They even commented about how they hoped the switch was permanent.

countyroad

Tim did mention in today's DR that we should get used to seeing Johnson at short and Q. at 2nd.