BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Quote from: BASH6-4-3 on May 02, 2007, 04:49:49 PM
All-time favorite play by play man for me is Ernie Harwell from the Tigers.  I grew up listening to that sweet voice weave a story every night as a child in the summers.  Close second only because I did not start listening to him until much later in life is Vin Scully with the Dodgers.  He has that same mastery of descriptive language told from the view of a real baseball man.

Couldn't agree with you more. Here's a blog post/column I wrote for my old job.

http://www.nbcsports.com/theob/blog/2007/04/a_generation_fades_away.html
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Spence

Quote from: mideastfan on May 02, 2007, 05:41:21 PM
Quote from: pufin on May 02, 2007, 04:15:14 PM
So now that you seem accept that it wasn't completely about your JV pitchers giving up runs you decide to blame it on the position players?

I thought Marietta was THE program in Ohio baseball? If that is the case, second- and third-string position players should be good enough to put some runs up against Wooster. Or maybe the Scots aren't that bad a ball club themselves?

I have stayed out of the back and forth with Spence all season, but it is getting tiring. All you do, Spence, is make excuses. Excuses for Marietta losses, excuses for other teams' losses to Wooster, excuses for Ohio weather, and whatever else.

Marietta didn't have to play Wooster. Neither did ONU, or any other OAC team. Wooster is trying to play the best teams that they can given that the NCAC competition, for the most part, is generally pretty weak. Do you think Wooster doesn't want more challenge from Allegheny, Hiram, and Kenyon?

Whatever your problem is with Wooster, just let it simmer inside, and try to give a more level-headed analysis of the game. I know that you are capable of it because I see it on other boards.

Bottom line is that Wooster has a very solid club this year and Marietta is average compared to their usual standard.   Anyone who has been around the Wooster/Marietta rivalry over the last 15 years would know this.  Marietta's pitching this year is probably the worst it's been in 30 years, so you can imagine what facing their #7 and #8 guys would be like.  They didn't have a chance to win going into the doubleheader.  That being said, maybe they'll get a shot to play Wooster in the regionals when it really counts. 
There were reasons for years and years that Wooster and Marietta didn't play during the regualr season; they just didn't run their programs the same way and neither wnated to travel to play each other, plain and simple.  With the new NCAA selection format for the regionals, it's now almost necessary to play tough regional teams.  Back in the day, a good team could play a weak schedule and rack up 35+ wins and get a bid to the regional tournament...no longer the case with all the automatic and at large bids.

Heh I'm sure Schaly would have even played Wooster at home in a scheduled game.

EDIT: That was supposed to be NOT sure.

We're scuffling a little bit, but I also think the conference is as good as it has been in years. We're not the only ones splitting. Otterbein's got 3 splits, Heidelberg's got 5 I think. There just aren't very many easy games. One of our seniors was injured early and still fighting back, and the other two have struggled to hit at one point or another.

I still think a healthy Baumler makes a big difference in the postseason if he can get there. Pitrone would help as well, he threw pretty well early.

Spence

Quote from: pufin on May 02, 2007, 04:15:14 PM
So now that you seem accept that it wasn't completely about your JV pitchers giving up runs you decide to blame it on the position players?

I thought Marietta was THE program in Ohio baseball? If that is the case, second- and third-string position players should be good enough to put some runs up against Wooster. Or maybe the Scots aren't that bad a ball club themselves?

I have stayed out of the back and forth with Spence all season, but it is getting tiring. All you do, Spence, is make excuses. Excuses for Marietta losses, excuses for other teams' losses to Wooster, excuses for Ohio weather, and whatever else.

Marietta didn't have to play Wooster. Neither did ONU, or any other OAC team. Wooster is trying to play the best teams that they can given that the NCAC competition, for the most part, is generally pretty weak. Do you think Wooster doesn't want more challenge from Allegheny, Hiram, and Kenyon?

Whatever your problem is with Wooster, just let it simmer inside, and try to give a more level-headed analysis of the game. I know that you are capable of it because I see it on other boards.

I can't believe I'm even bothering with this.

I'm not blaming anything on anyone. Offering analysis is not blame. Never have I said anything like "if we would have had (xxxx), we would have won." I haven't said that. I have said that it was a mismatch pitching-wise, and it was. I have said that getting behind early changed the team's offensive mindset, which it without doubt did, and might have gotten into the collective heads of a young lineup. And I think that's a reasonable guess, I never said it was a definite fact.

I have been level headed. You want not level headed? You want me being a jerk?

Here ya go: Two numbers for you. 11 and 1. Figure out what they mean, and after you do, don't talk smack to me again until those numbers are equal. 'Til then, you do not exist to me.

BASH6-4-3

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 02, 2007, 06:01:54 PM
Quote from: BASH6-4-3 on May 02, 2007, 04:49:49 PM
All-time favorite play by play man for me is Ernie Harwell from the Tigers.  I grew up listening to that sweet voice weave a story every night as a child in the summers.  Close second only because I did not start listening to him until much later in life is Vin Scully with the Dodgers.  He has that same mastery of descriptive language told from the view of a real baseball man.

Couldn't agree with you more. Here's a blog post/column I wrote for my old job.

http://www.nbcsports.com/theob/blog/2007/04/a_generation_fades_away.html

Thanks for the link Pat.  I enjoyed the piece a lot.  We share a lot of common experiences.  I too moved away from Michigan before the '84 season. I probably pre-date you by a couple years though. My greatest Detroit Tiger memory is attending Al Kaline's final home game at old Tiger Stadium.  Teams from the mid-late 70's were not very good, but with Harwell and Carey calling the games it didn't really matter.
"This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray.  It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again.  Oh...people will come Ray." - Field of Dreams, 1989

Pat Coleman

Indeed -- I was in sixth grade when that 1984 move went down.

I wonder if "my" generation is the last one to fall asleep with the transistor radio under the pillow.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

mideastfan

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 02, 2007, 08:16:29 PM

I wonder if "my" generation is the last one to fall asleep with the transistor radio under the pillow.

Even with all the games televised these days, it's still nice to sit outside on a summer evening and listen to a game on the radio.  I grew up a Cardinal fan, and to me nothing beat Buck and Shannon calling a Cards win over the Cubs, or Mets in the mid 80's.

woosterbooster

Gotta go back a few more decades for me.  I grew up listening to Mel Allen, Phil Rizzuto, and Red Barber calling the Yankee games.  Although being a kid I liked them all at the time, in retrospect I think Allen was too much of a homer and Rizzuto played the wide-eyed kid role all too well.  Barber, although maybe a bit past his prime by the time he moved to the Yankees, was a superb announcer when he did the Brooklyn Dodgers.  I liked Harwell a lot, although didn't get to listen to him all that much.

countyroad

My grandma listens to all the Indians games on the radio these days.  Her eyesight is poor due to being a diabetic.  The somewhat funny thing is that my grandpa is hard at hearing.  So when I'm there during an Indians game my grandma is in one room with the radio on and my grandpa is in the other with the tv turned up REALLY LOUD.  We get to hear each play twice because of the delay.   :P

I too enjoy listening to a game on the radio more than watching on tv, but my wife has really enjoyed watching tribe games with me of late on tv so I'll take that.

ScotsFan

Include me in that generation.  I didn't get hooked on baseball until my family returned to northeast Ohio in the early 80's.  Growing up in Florida and Texas my favorite team was the Pirates, because their spring training facilities were near where I lived and it was during the 'We Are Family' days.  We then moved to Dallas where my passion became all things Dallas Cowboys.  The Rangers were good for a game or two to go watch in the summer, but I never really got into them. 

It wasn't until we moved back to Ohio that my passion for baseball and the Indians took off.  And that is when I was introduced to listening to Herb Score calling Tribe games in bed and hoping against all hope that this was the year the Indians would finally do something.  And occasionally, the Indians would hang around until August or so getting everyone worked up, only to flatline and be 10-20 games out by the end of September?!

I guess that is what I love most about baseball.  Every fan of every team can share in the excitement of not knowing what a new season will bring (unless your a Royals fan? :P).  Look at what the Tigers did last year.  They went from a team that lost almost 100 games in '05 to the World Series!  I'm just hoping, with the good start that the Tribe has gotten off to, that they might be this year's Detroit Tigers!!! 8)

woosterbooster

The best news in yesterday's Wooster victory at JCU was that Steiner and Thomas both played.  It turns out that neither had been injured at all.  Also, Rob Skulina returned and saw some action at third base.  Various pitchers saw some action and the Scots staff is poised for the 2 out of 3 series against Denison that begins at 1 PM on Saturday at Art Murray Field.

Larry Miller, here's hoping that you found out what you were supposed to do at which Subway and got the team fed. :)

Li'l Giant

When I was a kid I would listen to Milo Hamilton call Astros games on KTRH out of Houston. I went to sleep with those headphones on every night there was a game. Those West Coast road trips made for some late nights.
"I believe in God and I believe I'm gonna go to Heaven, but if something goes wrong and I end up in Hell, I know it's gonna be me and a bunch of D3 officials."---Erik Raeburn

Quote from: sigma one on October 11, 2015, 10:46:46 AMI don't drink with the enemy, and I don't drink lattes at all, with anyone.

ScotsFan

Quote from: Li'l Giant on May 03, 2007, 10:10:07 PM
Those West Coast road trips made for some late nights.
Tell me about it.  At least you were in Central Time! ;)

David Collinge

I also used to listen to Ernie Harwell at every opportunity when I was a youth, even though I was not particularly fond of the Tigers.  That 1968 season was magical, though.

Today, my vagabond lifestyle gives me the opportunity (thanks to XM Radio) to taste the radio broadcasts from all across America.  As a lifelong Indians fan, I enjoy Tom Hamilton and Mike Hegan, although I'd understand if fans of other teams didn't care for Hammy.  There's no Ernie Harwells out there anymore, and the current Detroit broadcasters are sad substitutes.  Harwell was always modest about the Tigers and respectful of their opponents, whereas Dan Dickerson seems to believe that every Tiger player is some sort of god.  It's tiresome.

I do like the broadcasts from Toronto (Jerry Howarth), San Francisco (Jon Miller), Oakland (Ken Korach and Vince Cotroneo), Kansas City (Denny Matthews), and Colorado (Jeff Kingery).  The Yankee broadcasters (John Sterling and Suzyn Waldman) are hard to listen to, but their smugness perfectly matches their team.  I find the Minnesota broadcasts (John Gordon) annoying ("touch 'em all!!!"), and the San Diego team (Jerry Coleman and particularly Ted Leitner) unbearable, but the worst bar none is Ed Farmer for the White Sox.  (Coincidentally, the White Sox also have the worst TV broadcaster, Ken Harrelson.)

Ralph Turner

Then my generation was the last generation that would talk our biology teacher into playing the transistor in class to hear the World Series, while we did "busy" work or work sheets at our desks.

woosterbooster

Heck, my fifth grade teacher, the 6'5" Mr. Harmon, brought his own tv (black and white, of course) into class so we could watch the Yanks play the Braves in 1957.  Those who weren't interested were sent to the back of the class to read.  The rest of us were frustrated by the Milwaukee pitching staff, especially Lew Burdette, as he won three ballgames and led the Braves to the championship.