BB: NCAC: North Coast Athletic Conference

Started by woosterbooster, December 29, 2005, 03:10:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

countyroad

Quote from: lancer98 on March 27, 2008, 10:35:08 AM
I'm late to the game on this but why is Barry Craddock(sp) no longer the coach at Denison??  Any info??

I do not know why he is no longer at Denison, but I can tell you he's now back at Wooster.  (You probably knew that.)

BASH6-4-3

Quote from: countyroad on March 27, 2008, 11:12:03 AM
I'm late to the game on this but why is Barry Craddock(sp) no longer the coach at Denison??  Any info??

I do not know why he is no longer at Denison, but I can tell you he's now back at Wooster.  (You probably knew that.)

I hope these quotes transferred over.  I'm still a rookie when it comes to this message board stuff.
Craddock was forced out by the Denison Administration over a personal matter that I do not feel is appropriate to mention publically on this board.  The issue occured in 2006 or early '07 (before the season) and Craddock remained as coach of the Big Red through all of last season despite the occurence.  My sources tell me a disgruntled player and his parent then took the matter to the Dension Admin. and the force out resulted.  A sad situation if the story is indeed fact.  Craddock is very much respected as a coach by this particular poster and I hope he gets another shot as a head coach next season or even finds work at a higher level.  What he accomplished at Denison is what every lower-middle range program in the midwest would love to see happen to their program.

I've been sitting on this information for several months out of respect to Coach Craddock and my source hoping that the curiosity would go away but the interested baseball fans that you all are have brought the question back to topic.  Hopefully enough time has now passed and the issue is not as sensitive now as last fall.
"This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray.  It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again.  Oh...people will come Ray." - Field of Dreams, 1989

BASH6-4-3

On to this week's baseball games.
Wabash College gets spanked by Illinois Wesleyan yesterday 8-0.  IWU is the defending reg. season champs in the very tough CCIW.  They received preseason rankings but fell out of the top 25 last week.
Wasn't at the game so I'm just wondering if Wabash had a letdown after their impressive NCAC opening 3 out of 4 against OWU or if the competition level between the NCAC and CCIW is that vast.  The latter point is hard to argue as NCAC-CCIW matchups are few and far between.  Probably easier to compare NCAC-OAC-HCAC.  Thoughts?

Wabash is scheduled for a 4 game set this weekend with Case Western.
"This field, this game: it's a part of our past, Ray.  It reminds of us of all that once was good and it could be again.  Oh...people will come Ray." - Field of Dreams, 1989

countyroad

Quote from: BASH6-4-3 on March 27, 2008, 06:28:07 PM

I hope these quotes transferred over.  I'm still a rookie when it comes to this message board stuff.
Craddock was forced out by the Denison Administration over a personal matter that I do not feel is appropriate to mention publically on this board.  The issue occured in 2006 or early '07 (before the season) and Craddock remained as coach of the Big Red through all of last season despite the occurence.  My sources tell me a disgruntled player and his parent then took the matter to the Dension Admin. and the force out resulted.  A sad situation if the story is indeed fact.  Craddock is very much respected as a coach by this particular poster and I hope he gets another shot as a head coach next season or even finds work at a higher level.  What he accomplished at Denison is what every lower-middle range program in the midwest would love to see happen to their program.

I've been sitting on this information for several months out of respect to Coach Craddock and my source hoping that the curiosity would go away but the interested baseball fans that you all are have brought the question back to topic.  Hopefully enough time has now passed and the issue is not as sensitive now as last fall.

I thought Craddock's departure from Denison was strange.  I didn't understand why a younger, successful coache suddenly left.  I must say a tiny part of me thought that he may have returned to Wooster to be coach Pettorini's successor when the time came. 

woosterbooster

A disappointing performance from Wooster today, on all counts.  Their pitchers were, for the most part, very ineffective; they didn't swing the bats well; and they made four errors.  Now I know these weren't the frontline Wooster hurlers, but still, the Scots in no way resembled anything close to a nationally-ranked team.

They came back from Florida with an exemplary record, but you really have to wonder.  Their highly-touted pitching now has an E.R.A. of 3.73, which is miles higher than last season's 2.51.  If you remove Mark Miller's terrific 19 and 2/3 innings, in which he has yet to give up an earned run, the Scots' E.R.A. jumps to 4.31.  They are fielding only .949.  Wooster is going to have to seriously improve if they want to get any further into the tournament then they did last year. 

old scot

2 HBP's, 7 walks, and 4 errors = a loss. I know they threw their young guys but you still have to throw strikes and pitch ahead in the count. As far as the 4 errors, typical Wooster defense.

lancer98

Quote from: BASH6-4-3 on March 27, 2008, 06:28:07 PM

I thought it was strange given the success he had.  I knew he wouldn't leave a head coaching job at Denison to return to Wooster unless there was something fishy going on.

I just wanted to know if he left on his terms or the schools.  By the sounds of your post it was the schools.

I would be interested to know why though???  But then again there are laws about started rumors on the message boards....... ;) ;)

old scot

After a quick look at the season stats, Woo's leadoff hitter and clean-up hitter are putting up Dave Kingman like stats as far as strikeouts. Clean-up hitter , maybe you can deal with strikeouts. Leadoff hitter needs to know how to get on base. If I'm the coach, I move him to the 6th or 7th hole.

ScotsFan

I don't know if anyone noticed, but as I was browsing the OAC board yesterday, I came across some good news.  Apparently, the NCAC Baseball board wasn't the only place that Spence made himself a nuisance.  This was a quote from Pat Coleman over on the OAC Football board:

Quote from: Pat Coleman on March 24, 2008, 11:58:39 AM
Sorry -- sometimes trolls do get an upper hand when I'm away at the Final Four. Thanks to the person who reported the posts to the moderator, finally, today.

Don't forget to use that link in the corner when necessary.
In other words, the all knowing one has been suspended of his posting privileges yet again! ;D

ScotsFan

Wooster gets the Saturday sweep in two well pitched ballgames by both Wooster and Kenyon.  Wooster took the opener 2-1 with Samson getting the win and Miller notching his 8th save of the season.  With that save, Miller, who is only a sophomore, ties the career saves record at Wooster at 16.

In the nightcap, Anthony Trapuzzano had a no hitter through 6 innings of work and was really cruising.  Wooster held a 2-0 lead.  So, you would have thought that Pettorini would give Trap an opportunity to complete his no-no.  At the very least, he could have left him on a short leash.  But, Pettorini didn't even give him the chance.  Maybe Trap didn't have anything left, but I highly doubt he chose to not at least have a chance at finishing off his no-no.  Miller subsequently came in and on his 1st pitch gave up the no-no.  He did regroup to finish off his 9th save which not only breaks the single season mark for saves, but he is now the Scots all-time saves leader in just over one and a half seasons! :o  Congrats to Miller on a great start to your young career!

Dr. Acula

Allegheny split with Marietta today to move to 3-9.  Please forgive me if this has been discussed already, but what the heck happened to Allegheny?  When I was in school in the late 90's/early 00's they were outstanding.       

ScotsFan

Wooster remains perfect in NCAC play completing the weekend sweep of Kenyon by the scores of 10-5 and 15-6!  The offense was showcased today after yesterday's pitching duels. 

Wooster now has a stranglehold on the NCAC East.  They're 8-0 with two 4 game series remaining vs. Hiram and Oberlin.  Kenyon had been 2nd in the conference having taken 3 of 4 from Hiram, but they drop to 3-5 after being swept by Wooster. 

Oberlin and Hiram's 4 game series were a wash due to Hiram's field being unplayable.

Quote from: Dr. Acula on March 30, 2008, 08:25:33 PM
Allegheny split with Marietta today to move to 3-9.  Please forgive me if this has been discussed already, but what the heck happened to Allegheny?  When I was in school in the late 90's/early 00's they were outstanding.       
It's hard to tell.  Allegheny used have a fairly strong athletics program.  Their football team was winning NCAC Championships and even a National Championship in the early to mid 90's.  Their basketball program was also competitive during that time period.  And, like you said, the Gators were also pretty good on the diamond.  They used to be Wooster's main rival along with OWU in the NCAC.  It's really hard to explain Allegheny's decline in all of these programs over the last few years.  It would be nice for the NCAC for the Gators to get back to their levels of competitiveness they had in the '90's.

woosterbooster

The NCAC ought to, at the very least, offer some harsh words to the Hiram athletic department.  On a weekend when not a drop of rain fell, and every other school had no problem playing their ballgames, Hiram was unable to do so.  Their baseball facility, even when playable, is barely up to poor high school standards.  It's no wonder their program on the field is so poor, when the field itself leads the way.   

ScotsFan

Seeing as how the NCAC Baseball page seems a little behind, I thought I would take the time to update the standings out west.  Things in the East seem to be pretty clear, but that isn't the case out west.

Denison and OWU split their 4 game series over the weekend.  With the split, Denison dropped to 6-2 in the NCAC-west.  OWU improved to 3-5.  Wabash had a 4 game non-conference affair with Case.  Their only conference action was when they took 3 of 4 vs. OWU.  They sit in 2nd out west with a 3-1 record.  Things might clear up a little next weekend when Wabash hosts Denison for 4.  Witt is bringing up the rear BTW.  They are currently just 1-5! ;D  The EC is 1-1.  They split their DH with Witt on Saturday and Sunday's DH was ppd.

There's still a lot of baseball to be played out west, but it looks like a 3 horse race for the 2 spots available for the NCAC Tournament.

BASH6-4-3

Thanks for the NCAC West recap Scottsfan.

For the record, Wabash took 3 of 4 from Case this weekend to improve to 13-9.
To say the 4 game affair with Denison this weekend is huge may be an understatement.  This is the biggest series in Wabash Baseball history since joining the conference.  I hope the boys are ready to represent.