FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jknezek

Quote from: Ryan Tipps on September 02, 2011, 05:36:12 PM
Quote from: jknezek on September 02, 2011, 11:32:30 AM
Does anyone have any idea why Alma College, from Michigan, is coming all the way to Lexington to play W&L for the third game of the season? Seems like a long way to travel to fill a D3 hole in the schedule. Might be nice to see how W&L stacks up against a low to mid-tier MIAC team, but I'm curious as to the logic.

Just to tweak your post, Alma is a MIAA (Michigan) team, not MIAC (Minnesota). MIAC has St. John's, St. Thomas, Bethel and those folks in it. A much tougher conference than the MIAA :)

Yep. Wasn't paying enough attention while typing. Still curious though. It's a long way from Alma to Lexington, and Lexington isn't exactly close to an easy airport. Not only that, but you pass a good percentage of the D3 universe in between the two schools. I haven't seen it on W&L's site mentioned as a home and home, and I can't think of a time the Generals have travelled anywhere near that far.

Matt Barnhart (kid)

Quote from: jknezek on September 02, 2011, 06:13:51 PM
Quote from: Ryan Tipps on September 02, 2011, 05:36:12 PM
Quote from: jknezek on September 02, 2011, 11:32:30 AM
Does anyone have any idea why Alma College, from Michigan, is coming all the way to Lexington to play W&L for the third game of the season? Seems like a long way to travel to fill a D3 hole in the schedule. Might be nice to see how W&L stacks up against a low to mid-tier MIAC team, but I'm curious as to the logic.

Just to tweak your post, Alma is a MIAA (Michigan) team, not MIAC (Minnesota). MIAC has St. John's, St. Thomas, Bethel and those folks in it. A much tougher conference than the MIAA :)

Yep. Wasn't paying enough attention while typing. Still curious though. It's a long way from Alma to Lexington, and Lexington isn't exactly close to an easy airport. Not only that, but you pass a good percentage of the D3 universe in between the two schools. I haven't seen it on W&L's site mentioned as a home and home, and I can't think of a time the Generals have travelled anywhere near that far.

You'd be surprised how hard it is to fill a non-conference schedule some years. So much so, schools only have 9 games or play club teams.
Former Publisher of BridgewaterFootball.com

Pat Coleman

And it's a one-year deal because the ODAC schedule changes next year to admit Shenandoah.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

jknezek

Interesting. Just one of those things I guess. Nice for the kids from Alma as they will get to see a beautiful area of the country that many probably haven't seen before. And while I'm more than a little biased, I do love the new Wilson Field. Here's hoping W&L gets off to a better start than last year, not that I'm complaining about the end result!

hasanova

OMG!  I see where "Virginia University of Lynchburg," the previously-mentioned and often-renamed seminary, is playing its first ever football game today at I-AA (sorry, I'm old school) NC A&T.  This is a game that will be decided by one bad call - when their AD called NC A&T's AD and asked, "Wanna play?"  With, at best, about 500 students, VUL will be playing a school whose marching band is bigger, faster and more athletic than their entire student body!  For Virginia University, barring the divine miracle that the Dragons can actually breathe fire or God will benevolently intervene, there's only one viable strategy today against the Aggies - PRAY!   

Sometimes all schools, including the HBCU's, aren't keen to hold down the score, especially when they've been starved for wins themselves.  At $25 a ticket and on opening day, I predict at least 63-0 even if the first string never sees the 2nd half.  This game should never happen.

Trenches

Been a while...
Out at the GC/GC game... Guilford has been in complete control through one. 3 drives got deep in pride territory. Couple penalties and a missed FG has it 0-0 at the end of the 1st. The pride have yet to get onto the quakers end of the field.

Trenches

Quake/pride 2nd:
- sideline official went down with a seizure. Carted off. Keep him in your prayers.
- pride blocks quake punt, muffs scoop, quake recovers at about LOS.
- Quake score on a 2 yd run w/ just under 7 min in half (7-0)
- Quake score on a 50+ yd pass (15 yd pass over middle and broke away) after big defensive stop (14-0 quake)

Coach R's D all over the pride. Lots of stops at/behind LOS. I believe the pride only have 1 1st and have yet to cross the quake 50 (touched the 50 with 1 min left only to punt).
Guilford showing a lot more discipline so far.

Trenches

Quaker/pride 3rd:
- pretty quiet start. Pride complete a few passes but can't put anything together.
- quakers score on a 42(ish) yd pass to flat that shoots down the sideline. (21-0 with 5:40 in 3rd)
- 4th down stop by quake
- next play... quake finally look down field and connect on a 40 yd score following a double pump (27-0) 4:24 remains in the third.
- another deflected pass batted up. This time guilford finally comes down with it for the int at the pride 41. Just over 4min in 3rd.
-quake to start 4th inside pride 25

Quake D continues LOS pressure. D is getting to the ball a lot better to start the year.
Couple of the pride WRs look nervous trying to catch the ball; trying to run before posession and dropping passes.

jknezek

W&L vs F&M is in a lightning delay. W&L up 24-10 with about 2 minutes to go and they have possession following an interception. The scores seems a bit flattering to me, but having a +5 turnover margin is going to do that. The two teams have been opposite images. F&M is pass happy with limited ability to run, throwing 40 times for 278 yards. The Generals have thrown 9 times for 30 yards with only 3 completions, but like last year have run for over 182 yards with the numbers going much higher in the 4th as F&M's d-line seemed to tire out. Hopefully the game will finish out, but it looks good for the Generals to start the season.

Trenches

Quaker/pride 4th:
- 3 plays in, muffed snap gives pride the ball.
- quake FG attempt, botched snap. Just under 7 to play
- pride continue with dropped passes.
- 69 yd punt for pride to quake 3.

Had to leave with just under 3 left. Quaker punting away from own 24. Quake up 27-0

Matt Barnhart (kid)

Wow, BC wins in OT, 20-17.

We came back from 17-3 in the fourth. Always nice to be able to teach and learn from an ugly win.
Former Publisher of BridgewaterFootball.com

hasanova

Trenches did a great recap, but I'll update the final in Greensboro:

Guilford 27, Greensboro 7

Guilford dominated this game in most aspects - looked much sharper than last season.  Pride's lone score was a 32-yard run up the middle with 1:08 to go.  Surprisingly (for me), three of Guilford's four score came via pass and run.  Offense looked sharp, but had a couple of drive-killing penalties around the 30-yard line three times in the first half.  GCP's defense was on the field a lot today and I think the time of possesion battle eventually took its toll.

Anyway, great win for the Quakers as they snapped an 11-game losing streak and gave Coach Rusiewicz his first Gatorade bath as a college head coach.  Nice.  Go Quakers!

hasanova

Good day for the ODAC as the boys go 7-0 versus nonconference opponents to start the 2011 season!  :)

Rugby Guy

Ahhh...Division III football season is back.  Life is good.  Great time at Stone Station this weekend (as usual) and an entertaining BC win. 

HSC85

HSC extremely impressive on both sides of the ball after the 1st quarter.  It looks like RMC had a dominating day as well.  I agree great day for the ODAC at 7-0.