Liberty League

Started by Pat Cummings, March 01, 2005, 07:38:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stlawus

Vassar with the upset against Union.   Vassar is a lot better than their record but they match up well with Union as they slow the tempo and are very bulky in the paint.

SLU sweeps Skidmore for the first time since 2012-2013 to stay in playoff contention, at least for 12 hours.   Quite the battle for the final playoff spot these last 3 games. 

Bartman

Congratulations on the RPI win over Hobart last night and essentially securing the #1 seed thru the LL tournament. Hobart played well until the last 5 minutes .I noticed some limping by some of the Hobart players as they toughed out a very physical game against the Engineers. The tournament should be hard fought with the next group of LL teams hoping for a run. RPI has shown they can finish games , but they have had issues getting started.  The Engineers are the clear favorite for an NCAA berth with Hobart and Ithaca with high hopes as well. Never count out Union despite last night's loss. Should be fun.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

jmcozenlaw

Hey Caz...................ten 3 pointers in one game??? Doesn't the other team scout at all? ;)

Outside shot at Liberty League Player of the Year?

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

Bartman

Quote from: Dave 'd-mac' McHugh on February 19, 2020, 01:17:12 PM
Week 2's Regional Rankings are out: https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2020/02/men-regional-rankings-second
So, RPI #2 and Hobart#3 behind Brockport. If both Hobart and RPI stay undefeated until the LL championship, what are the odds the LL gets 2 teams in the dance? Based on history it seems unlikely, but just hoping.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

thebear

RPI currently is 3-1 vs. Regionally Ranked Opponents, while Hobart is 3-3.  Both have pretty easy last weekend schedules before the LL tournament.

If Hobart were to make it to the finals of the Liberty League, I suspect they are in the tournament barring a huge rash of upsets in conference tournaments. They have a very strong non-conference schedule and a rare win over U of Rochester this year.

RPI looks like they are in as long as they make it to the conference finals. 

I could see Hobart being viewed by the NCAA as a logical team to be in a pod hosted at Brockport, and RPI might even get to host a pod if it wins the LL title, as there are a ton of New England teams close by. 
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Remember, teams won't be selected because they make a better pod situation... the selections will take place then they will deal with bracketing.

But the East is a bit weak right now when you look at things from the national perspective. These resumes may look good to rise to 2 and 3 in the region, but nationally they don't hold up as well. There will be upsets and Pool C bids will get gobbled up by locked teams. That means less wiggle room. I'm not that confident LL can get two teams in the tourney with those resumes.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

thebear

I see that Titan Q has Hobart in as the #9 at large team, assuming they hold form and get to the finals of the LL tournament, I would think they are a pretty solid pick.  They beat Rochester head to head and he has Rochester at #17 which is probably bubble out. A lot can happen with conference tournament upsets etc.
"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

Caz Bombers

RPI generally never schedules anybody with a pulse, but you have to wonder if shoo-in Coach of the Year Mark Gilbride will end up kicking himself for not doing so.

Probably not though, if/when RPI falls to Hobart in the LL finals and doesn't get selected at 23-4, he'll just rant and vent online about how unfair it all is and how his program was screwed. Coaches are all the same.

Bartman

Quote from: Caz Bombers on February 20, 2020, 09:53:48 AM
RPI generally never schedules anybody with a pulse, but you have to wonder if shoo-in Coach of the Year Mark Gilbride will end up kicking himself for not doing so.

Probably not though, if/when RPI falls to Hobart in the LL finals and doesn't get selected at 23-4, he'll just rant and vent online about how unfair it all is and how his program was screwed. Coaches are all the same.
The LL tournament has not been kind to the teams with the best records, so as a Hobart fan I am not counting the chickens. Ithaca is certainly capable of winning(especially if Riley and friends are on) and Union seems to respond at tournament time. This weekend is a tune up for what should be a pretty good tournament. I think RPI could easily lose at home in the first game to Union, the same way Hobart did two years ago to Skidmore. That Hobart team was one of the best teams ever at 16-2 in conference and 21-5 overall, but lost to Union in a meaningless game at the end of the season by 3 and lost to Skidmore by 3 in the first tournament game on their home court, when the starting 5 shot less than 30% for the night. That team paid for the season ending by not making the tournament. You might be right that RPI could suffer a similar fate, especially to their motivated rival.
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

d3d3d3

SLU made the playoffs.

Tournament Seeds:
1. RPI (17-1)
2. Hobart (15-3, swept Ithaca)
3. Ithaca (15-3)
4. Union (12-6)
5. Vassar (7-11)
6. St. Lawrence (6-12) **

** Tiebreaker for 6th seed:
6t. St. Lawrence, 4-2 vs. RIT (1-1), SKD (2-0), CLK (1-1)
6t. RIT, 3-3 vs. SKD (1-1), SLU (1-1), CLK (1-1)
6t. Clarkson, 3-3 vs. RIT (1-1), SKD (1-1), SLU (1-1)
6t. Skidmore, 2-4 vs. RIT (1-1), SLU (0-2), CLK (1-1)

Pairings
Tuesday
St. Lawrence at Ithaca
Vassar at Union

Saturday
St. Lawrence-Ithaca winner vs. Hobart at RPI
Vassar-Union winner at RPI

stlawus

Wait, SLU made the LL tourney?   I feel like the LL tie breaker criteria changes every year or I simply do not how it works.   

d3d3d3

Guess your season isn't over!

Bartman

Tucker Lescoe hits 12 of 19  beyond the arc on Senior Night at Bristol Gym against Skidmore. What a way to end your home court career. The Statesmen are ready for the LL tournament, let's earn it!
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

stlawus

I will not be sorry to see Lescoe go after this year.   One of the smoothest strokes I've seen from a LL player in recent years.   I thought we were finally rid of a Statesmen sniper when Drescher graduated, little did I know.