MBB: State University of New York Athletic Conference

Started by bamm, March 12, 2005, 09:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

It's interesting how the voting works sometimes.  I believe Rupkus is also a two-time conference POY; and team performance doesn't really factor in too much.  If it were me, I'd pick Kevin Dennis over both of them.  I imagine UAA POY Ryan Clamage had something to say about the results as well.  Certainly not a two horse race.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

Smitty Oom

I do not mind using seniority and career accomplishments as a tiebreaker, but previous season stats and awards are not my favorite way to determine this years awards. So, yes I agree Dennis and Clamage are very worthy of Region POTY, more so than Ed Rupkus based on the play this year. Also, team accomplishments for sure should play a role  in voting, and it to the outside viewer, it appears that it plays some sort of role. It is another  good tiebreaker when two players have pretty equal season stats. I know its not a perfect science, but this one was quite the surprise in my eyes.

magicman

Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 12, 2019, 06:13:58 AM

It's interesting how the voting works sometimes.  I believe Rupkus is also a two-time conference POY; and team performance doesn't really factor in too much.  If it were me, I'd pick Kevin Dennis over both of them.  I imagine UAA POY Ryan Clamage had something to say about the results as well.  Certainly not a two horse race.

Pretty sure Kevin Dennis wouldn't put up the numbers he did if he played in the SUNYAC. Morrisville is 3-10 against the SUNYAC since they left to join the NEAC. And yes one of those 3 wins was against Brockport in the NCAA tournament but Brockport's All American, Jon Ivy, never played in that game, as he was injured during the latter part of the regular season. The reason they left the YAC, along with SUNYIT, was to be a big fish in a small pond and make the playoffs. They were 2-30 in the 2 years they were in the conference.

And you're right Ryan it wasn't a two horse race. Jon Patron was so far out in front of the others he looked like Secretariat at the Belmont Stakes leaving Sham and the also rans 31 lengths behind. :D

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: magicman on March 12, 2019, 07:32:57 PM
Quote from: Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan) on March 12, 2019, 06:13:58 AM

Pretty sure Kevin Dennis wouldn't put up the numbers he did if he played in the SUNYAC. Morrisville is 3-10 against the SUNYAC since they left to join the NEAC. And yes one of those 3 wins was against Brockport in the NCAA tournament but Brockport's All American, Jon Ivy, never played in that game, as he was injured during the latter part of the regular season. The reason they left the YAC, along with SUNYIT, was to be a big fish in a small pond and make the playoffs. They were 2-30 in the 2 years they were in the conference.

And you're right Ryan it wasn't a two horse race. Jon Patron was so far out in front of the others he looked like Secretariat at the Belmont Stakes leaving Sham and the also rans 31 lengths behind. :D

It's true, you have to adjust the stats for the schedule, but he did put up 16 and 12 against R-MC in the tournament, while getting doubled a lot of time.  He's a talented kid, as is Patron... and Rupkus... and Clamage.  Patron's going to benefit when it comes to AA because he's a forward (and there's just less competition there), so that may provide some vindication.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Glad to see the coach's backed up our panel as well.  Also glad you're going to war for your guy; that's the right thing to do.

http://nabc.com/nabc_releases/2019/diii_all_district

Pat Coleman

As Ryan said, Patron a very worthy candidate and will almost certainly be an All-America selection.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Greek Tragedy

What are the early projections for next season? Plattsburgh loses a ton. Oswego loses two of their top four. Cortland loses their top two. Oneonta returns everyone. Brockport reutrns a lot.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

magicman

Greek,

I'd hop on Oneonta or Brockport's bandwagon. Can't count out Oswego as Coach Leone keeps finding talent  And Buffalo State, the best 16 loss team in the country, will return just abut everyone.

thebear

Returning in 19-20, 'Port has a first teamer in Summers and a Third Team is Hagins, plus Ashley, the ROY in the conference.

Oneonta has Bull and Mackin, a potent inside outside combination.

Oswego has Sanborn, and never count out a team with a gifted lead guard, and Gartland to complement him.

I think everyone else will have to catch up to those three teams.

"Just the Facts, Ma'am, Just the Facts"
- Sgt. Joe Friday

Greek Tragedy

Any word is Brockport's Tyler Collins is returning. He only played 8 games last season. He's listed as a senior.
Pointers
Breed of a Champion
2004, 2005, 2010 and 2015 National Champions

Fantasy Leagues Commissioner

TGHIJGSTO!!!

magicman

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on April 03, 2019, 08:32:43 AM
Any word is Brockport's Tyler Collins is returning. He only played 8 games last season. He's listed as a senior.

He will be back.

magicman

Next year the Men's D3 and D2 championship games will be played in Atlanta on the same weekend as the D1 championship game. Here's the link to the story that was posted on D3hoops' front page: https://www.d3hoops.com/notables/2019/04/joint-championships-announced

Caz Bombers

major congrats to New Paltz, men's volleyball Division III national champions for the second time in the last four years.

magicman

Quote from: Caz Bombers on April 27, 2019, 09:00:25 PM
major congrats to New Paltz, men's volleyball Division III national champions for the second time in the last four years.

Thanks for the heads up CB. Would have never known that.

Here's the link to the story in case anyone is interested.

https://nphawks.com/news/2019/4/27/suny-new-paltz-mens-volleyball-crowned-ncaa-national-champions.aspx

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Surprised no one posted the news that Jason Leone's name came up as a finalist at LeMoyne ...

Don't worry ... he's not leaving Oswego. LeMoyne will hire someone else, but it wasn't their first choice.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.