FB: New England Small College Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Thank everyone for the links to an Amherst recruit.  Young Roche will grow stronger, bigger, etc.  He presently plays many line positions now. What caught my attention was his GPA.  Wonder if he will prefer to move to the defensive side....appears to have the speed.  Hope to see him play  in '21...live :)

DC 53

Trin9-0

This is the first announcement I've seen for the Trin '21 recruiting class:

Nate Stewart, OL, 6'1", 275 lbs, Milton Academy, Milton, MA, hudl

Speaking of recruiting; after months of back-and-forth, Connecticut has cancelled 11 on 11 high school football for the year. The current proposal is for a 7 on 7 season to take place this fall. However, there has been significant push back by schools and legislators to do what many states have already done; which is sandwich and abbreviated season in between the winter and spring sport seasons. I'm not confident that will be approved, but either way it is sure to impact NESCAC recruiting and Trinity and Wesleyan in particular since their rosters typically include the most players from Connecticut.

Something to keep an eye on...
NESCAC CHAMPIONS: 1974, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2023
UNDEFEATED SEASONS: 1911, 1915, 1934, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1993, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2022

nescac1

Updated list of Williams commitments:

Jonathan Velasquez, 6'0 275 OL, Cheshire Academy
Ian McCarron, 5'11 185 S, BC High
Alec Washecka, 6'3 265 OL, Darien
Luke Bobo, 6'0 180 QB, Belmont Hill
Jack Ledden, 5'10 165 WR, North Shore (Long Island)
Anthony Morrison, 6'0 175 WR/TB, Bridgewater Raynham H.S.
Ivan Shuran, K/P, Benedictine (Cleveland)
Ryan Carney, 6'2 235 LB/TE, BC High
William Stockwell, 6'2 205 S/LB, Catholic Memorial, West Roxbury, MA
Ben Pacquin, 6'1 189 S/LB, CBA Albany
Charles Willmott, 6'1 175 WR, Oregon Episcopal

Trin9-0

Quote from: Trin8-0 on September 09, 2020, 10:28:19 AM
This is the first announcement I've seen for the Trin '21 recruiting class:

Nate Stewart, OL, 6'1", 275 lbs, Milton Academy, Milton, MA, hudl

Speaking of recruiting; after months of back-and-forth, Connecticut has cancelled 11 on 11 high school football for the year. The current proposal is for a 7 on 7 season to take place this fall. However, there has been significant push back by schools and legislators to do what many states have already done; which is sandwich and abbreviated season in between the winter and spring sport seasons. I'm not confident that will be approved, but either way it is sure to impact NESCAC recruiting and Trinity and Wesleyan in particular since their rosters typically include the most players from Connecticut.

Something to keep an eye on...

Per twitter, TJ Abazzia, a 5'11", 225 lb LB from Greenwich, CT has also committed to Trinity:
NESCAC CHAMPIONS: 1974, 1978, 1980, 1983, 1987, 1991, 1993, 1996, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2022, 2023
UNDEFEATED SEASONS: 1911, 1915, 1934, 1949, 1954, 1955, 1993, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2008, 2012, 2016, 2022

lumbercat

From my perspective Trinity has perennially recruited most successfully in their home state of Ct and Eastern Ma. They succeed elsewhere but from a NESCAC perspective they essentially own the Ct publics and privates- mix in Eastern Ma and it's obviously a winning recipe.
Even some of the "walk ons" have been able to make the Bantam roster to their credit.

Hawk196

Quote from: lumbercat on September 16, 2020, 09:00:35 PM
From my perspective Trinity has perennially recruited most successfully in their home state of Ct and Eastern Ma. They succeed elsewhere but from a NESCAC perspective they essentially own the Ct publics and privates- mix in Eastern Ma and it's obviously a winning recipe.
Even some of the "walk ons" have been able to make the Bantam roster to their credit.

Whoever can penetrate the NJ Catholic schools, especially in Northern NJ will have a leg up on teams from the New England area. Hell some 2nd stringers are better than starters on public school teams. For example Don Bosco Prep, St. Joes regional, Bergen Catholic, St Peters prep, etc. They all challenge themselves by playing teams that are typically ranked top 25 in the country. My older son played for Don Bosco(and my Nescac son as well), he recently graduated college, but in high school as a LT he went against players like Nick Bosa, Rashawn Gary (2x per year) and Jabril Peppers. The kid that played RT was just drafted by the Falcons (Matt Hennesey).....Very well coached, disciplined and practices was brutal

amh63

In the past, Amherst had some alums coaching in NJ private schools and players found their way the Pioneer Valley.  Not as much in recent years, I believe.  Presently, the student-athletes have arrived from the Midwest and far west to contribute their talent to the football team.  Maybe in the future, Amherst will again "reap" the talent found in NJ, NY, CT, Ma. :)

SpringSt7

Quote from: Hawk196 on September 17, 2020, 11:23:24 AM

but in high school as a LT he went against players like Nick Bosa, Rashawn Gary (2x per year) and Jabril Peppers

The Nick Bosa who played 4 years of high school football in Florida or a different one?

Hawk196

Quote from: SpringSt7 on September 17, 2020, 12:08:28 PM

but in high school as a LT he went against players like Nick Bosa, Rashawn Gary (2x per year) and Jabril Peppers

The Nick Bosa who played 4 years of high school football in Florida or a different one?

He played at St. Thomas aquinas H.S. in Fla...they were #1 in the country. They brought their cheerleaders and wouldn't play at Don Bosco, so we acquiesced and were able to use the field at West Point...it was a blood bath! So undisciplined, fighting with each other, Bosa was the only one with class! He said in a Fla paper article the next day that DBP was one of the best teams he's gone against, tough & hard hitting. They just happened to stay in a hotel in my town and they trashed it, sore losers not used to losing. The best part was watching them take the field during warm ups and then watching them come out after halftime...night & day

lumbercat

Whoever can penetrate the NJ Catholic schools, especially in Northern NJ will have a leg up on teams from the New England area. Hell some 2nd stringers are better than starters on public school teams. For example Don Bosco Prep, St. Joes regional, Bergen Catholic, St Peters prep, etc. They all challenge themselves by playing teams that are typically ranked top 25 in the country. My older son played for Don Bosco(and my Nescac son as well), he recently graduated college, but in high school as a LT he went against players like Nick Bosa, Rashawn Gary (2x per year) and Jabril Peppers. The kid that played RT was just drafted by the Falcons (Matt Hennesey).....Very well coached, disciplined and practices was brutal

Hawk-
No question about it- my comments pertaining to New England.
Wesleyan recruits NJ hard and has had some success there.

Hawk196

OK lets keep the discussion going and liven this place up.

After what the Big 10 did by reversing course on the fall football season do you thing the NESCAC will have a spring season?

nescac1

I think there is no way there will be a Spring football season in NESCAC.  Loads of guys seem to be taking fall off anticipating an extra semester (fall 2021 for seniors) anyway, so even if there is football in the Spring, they would not be graduating with their class anyway.  Logistically, it seems like it would be very difficult given that many NESCAC schools have many other for these fields in the Spring (lacrosse, primarily, right?).  And it would be odd to ONLY have a Spring football season, but not the other Fall sports, and certainly there is no capacity for ALL sports to move to the Spring. 

And all of that doesn't even account for the fact that we have no idea what activities will be safe in the Spring.  There could be a workable vaccine that a large number of people actually take, far better treatment options, and a return to more or less normalcy.  There could be, on the other hand, a vaccine that isn't all that effective, a massive worsening of the pandemic during the winter months (as many experts have feared, remember, we haven't even had one winter with this disease yet) as people grow tired of being cooped up, preventative measures are further politicized, the interaction with flu season is disastrous from a medical infrastructure standpoint, and/or people replace safer outdoors activities with more dangerous indoors gatherings.   Most likely, the answer will fall somewhere in the murky middle.  But there is just no way for ANYONE to know how things will go over the next six months.  Alas.  It just stinks. 

On a happier note for you, Hawk (you are a Tufts oline parent if I recall?) a very impressive OL commitment for Tufts, Peter Wiehe, massive OT from St. John's Prep, he was a teammate of the Ephs' star class of 2024 QB recruit, and turned down the Ephs for Tufts (one of the few guys I've seen turn down Raymond for another NESCAC option, when it does happen, it's typically Amherst or Tufts). 

Hawk196

Quote from: nescac1 on September 18, 2020, 02:21:23 PM

On a happier note for you, Hawk (you are a Tufts oline parent if I recall?) a very impressive OL commitment for Tufts, Peter Wiehe, massive OT from St. John's Prep, he was a teammate of the Ephs' star class of 2024 QB recruit, and turned down the Ephs for Tufts (one of the few guys I've seen turn down Raymond for another NESCAC option, when it does happen, it's typically Amherst or Tufts).

We went to camp and were interested in Williams, but it is in the middle of nowhere. My Son wanted a bigger school (5K vs 1800) and the location is great for him. I think they said he could be at Fenway park after a 15 min train ride (although who would go to a redsox game....LOL), I personally like Civetti and I wonder if the kid from St. Johns had the same reasoning (size, location & coach)

lumbercat

Quote from: nescac1 on September 18, 2020, 02:21:23 PM

Peter Wiehe, massive OT from St. John's Prep, he was a teammate of the Ephs' star class of 2024 QB recruit, and turned down the Ephs for Tufts (one of the few guys I've seen turn down Raymond for another NESCAC option, when it does happen, it's typically Amherst or Tufts).

Nescac1

Williams is a great school, one of the very best in the country.  Raymond is a great coach and he's done a fantastic job. However, many more than "a few" have gone in another direction despite having a Williams offer. I understand your excitement and enthusiasm which the state of the Williams program, they have done a fine job. I personally know a number of Williams recruits who have gone in a different NESCAC directions other than Amherst for a number of different reasons like the one cited by Hawk196.
Maybe time to cut down a bit on the Eph Kool Aid.