FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ice Bear

Ice Bear says... Muhlenburg is ****ing good.

****ing Good
A long time fan of DIII Football!

unionpalooza

Quote from: Ice Bear on December 07, 2019, 01:53:59 PM
Ice Bear says... Muhlenburg is ****ing good.

****ing Good

All say.  That was total domination - completely shut down the Gulls.  Wow. 

jmcozenlaw

Let's see...........................

Oline89: NCC - 61        DelVal - 14 "DelVal gets Orangutan Mashed"

Johnny Utah: NCC - 56     DelVal - 14

Ice Bear: NCC - 52     DelVal - 10

Machiavelli: "DelVal gets absolutely destroyed". No score, but that comment puts a score in the Oline89 range of 61 - 10

Thank God we don't do predictions for a living!! :)

Total yardage: NCC - 365 (5.14 yards per play)     DelVal - 324 (5.40 yards per play)
QB Comparison: Gagliardi Finalist - 23/33, 263 yards, 2 TD's, 1 INT / One Year Starter (and non-Gagliardi Finalist) - 21/36, 232 yards, 2 TD's, 1 INT
Rushing Yardage: NCC - 38-102 (2.7 per carry & Greenfield held to 95 yards on 28 attempts)     DelVal - 23-92 (4.0 per carry)
**Both teams had two sacks

Statistically speaking, an incredibly close game. The huge difference was the Nigro fumble on the NCC 15 yard line. They score and it's a 24-21 game. From 17-0 at halftime to a fumble away from 24-21, to a team that went into Mount Union and put 59 points up on the road.

This DelVal defense was much better than anybody thought (see the NCC score predictions of 61, 56 and 52), especially for game #3 on the road. They gave up slightly less than half the yardage and half the points that NCC put up at Mount Union. I think the close score will shock many.......................and the game was much, much closer than the final score indicates.

DelVal has seven defensive starters back next year, starting with two more years from the Nobile brothers (DE's), their best LB and their entire secondary (3 sophs and 1 junior). This defense could be scary again next year as the LB depth in the program is very deep. Offensively, if the backup QB can hold down the fort next year, they have many returnees at RB, WR and on the OL.

With a better seeding and 2, maybe (unlikely though) 3 home games, they could return to the National Quarterfinals, maybe even the semi's if they catch a huge break here or there. All in all, a fantastic, and unexpected great season given the number of new offensive starters and youth across the board. If they have a good recruiting year, they might be right back in the National Quarters (third time in the last four years) next season!

Great job Aggies!!

Bartman

JM,
    Your adopted team played very well today against NCC,  the eliminators of Mount Union . I had the Aggies only losing by 2 touchdowns , and as young as they are, they should be the team to beat in the East next year.  Based on the game today, I would give the Aggies the edge over Salisbury in the ER final poll , especially with the whoppin put on Wesley in the second round. Union drops to #3 , but they had a great season as well.  The top 3 teams in the D3.com poll are gone, and no serious monkey stops put on the East today,  I like the competiveness of D3 football this year and I hope it continues. 
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

wally_wabash

You TOP wonks are going to have a blast with that UWW-UMHB box score. 
"Nothing in the world is more expensive than free."- The Deacon of HBO's The Wire

Doid23

Quote from: Bartman on December 07, 2019, 08:34:14 AM
Quote from: Doid23 on December 06, 2019, 01:51:04 PM
Quote from: Bartman on December 05, 2019, 12:53:02 PM
When one looks at interrelated statistics...it becomes very clear....Ithaca had to keep the ball and score on very slow possessions so Cortland's awesome kick blocking unit was neutralized....
Genius. Quit your job right now, and find a team to coach. That's next level ish.
Doid, it is not about me, it is all about the genius of TOP analytics.
Yeah, but combining it with the kick blocking? Chess vs checkers

Machiavelli

I definitely have to admit I undervalued Del Val. I wasn't impressed when I saw them earlier in the year but they definitely proved yesterday that they are a very good squad so i'm cool with it.

Muhlenburg definitely dominated the game yesterday, but I didn't see them as the 'dominant' team. Salisbury looked to come out hungover. Maybe too much bird dancing last week or something, but whatever it was, they weren't ready to play early on. Muhlenburg capitalized and their D had a great game plan and executed it the entire day. Lanham was getting smoked every time they ran the option. I know from experience, that takes a toll on you and I don't know why more teams don't do it. If the QB keeps it or not, you should smash him and give yourself up. Muhlenburg did that and it worked.

As weird as it sounds, I think Union matched up better with Muhlenburg. I think Union's offense woulda been able to move better on that brand of Defense. Salisbury certainly had their opportunities but couldn't do much of anything.

Good to see 4 mostly competitive games at this point. I feel like there's always at least 1 blowout this round but maybe the parity is shifting a bit.

On the most important note, I called for UMHB earlier in the week to potentially play their backup QB as their terrible TOP throughout the season was clear. Yesterday, against a good team, they went and did it again. 17:15 in TOP is not going to win you any Silver and Chestnut trophies. Not this year. Not any year.

MRMIKESMITH

Quote from: Machiavelli on December 08, 2019, 07:38:54 AM
I definitely have to admit I undervalued Del Val. I wasn't impressed when I saw them earlier in the year but they definitely proved yesterday that they are a very good squad so i'm cool with it.

Muhlenburg definitely dominated the game yesterday, but I didn't see them as the 'dominant' team. Salisbury looked to come out hungover. Maybe too much bird dancing last week or something, but whatever it was, they weren't ready to play early on. Muhlenburg capitalized and their D had a great game plan and executed it the entire day. Lanham was getting smoked every time they ran the option. I know from experience, that takes a toll on you and I don't know why more teams don't do it. If the QB keeps it or not, you should smash him and give yourself up. Muhlenburg did that and it worked.

As weird as it sounds, I think Union matched up better with Muhlenburg. I think Union's offense woulda been able to move better on that brand of Defense. Salisbury certainly had their opportunities but couldn't do much of anything.

Good to see 4 mostly competitive games at this point. I feel like there's always at least 1 blowout this round but maybe the parity is shifting a bit.

On the most important note, I called for UMHB earlier in the week to potentially play their backup QB as their terrible TOP throughout the season was clear. Yesterday, against a good team, they went and did it again. 17:15 in TOP is not going to win you any Silver and Chestnut trophies. Not this year. Not any year.

I agree with your comments aside from the bird dance one,  but Salisbury looked very stale early on. I think that unforced turnover early on then the 3 and out really hurt the Gulls. They really never recovered from that from a player perspective. Then the defense after coming out great reverted back to not understanding route combinations, looked like to much thinking was involved. Honestly, Muhlenberg offense was good, but not the best offense, they basically did what Union did last week but to their skill set. Salisbury just continued to conservative in pressure packages on 3rd down and with the secondary not being super elite, it felt like watching reruns on television. Now I was very disappointed with the play calling offensively, I thought they would open up early after getting down,  but considering they were only down by 17 and had poor player execution early in 1st, the thought of abandoning the basic triple was out the window, however at that point Muhlenberg already had adjusted and made additional adjustments and Salisbury appeared to not make any on either side to spark players interest. I think Ice mentioned in his prediction that Muhlenberg was going to stop the run game early and force Salisbury to pass late, which is what exactly happen.  I think until Salisbury becomes the aggressor in pass plays (true pistol and shotgun) the same issues will arise against elite defenses. I truly do think Union offensively was a better matchup and at least I know they would have played to either the strength or apparent Muhlenberg weakness. Something I don't think Salisbury did with being conservative on both sides, something that's been consistent over the years in these big games.

jmcozenlaw

Quote from: Oline89 on December 08, 2019, 08:34:43 AM
Ok, I admit that the Aggies of PA certainly played better than expected, and the Mules defense combined with really smart QB play (that kid knows how to read defenses and check down) led to total domination of the Gulls.  After much contemplation, stat analysis and higher level math, I have come up with a new theory:

I fully admit that TOP is the key to victory and earning the Silver and Chestnut, however there has to be some innuendo to explain the glitches in the system (see Cortica 2019 or even St Johns-Wheaton yesterday).  So bear with me here.  Positive influenecers: PA (passing attempts) combined with T (time of possession, say no more).  Negative influencers: C (Coaching, we always know that bad coaching leads to losses), OL (damn O Line, only good for holding penalties and spiking the ball after TD's), EM (extra man on field penalty, never has a winning team been called for this penalty), A (Attendance, the fewer fans, the worse the play--common knowledge), and finally N (Nuance, that special bit of fairy dust that is sprinkled on certain teams in D3, what else could explain the fact that an East Coast team can never get ranked in the top 10, and don't give this nonsense that Allentown PA is really an East Coast Team, it is clearly the South.  I live here and the temperature is a balmy, Atlanta-esque 19 degrees this morning).

In summation:

(PA+T) -  (C+OL+EM+A+N)= Victory

Oline89, 16 degrees here in bucolic Doylestown....................and we're even an hour or so south of you here in the Deep South. Now don't bother me, I have to put up a new confederate flag. ;)

Oline89

Has any LL team announced OOC schedule for 2020 yet? Isn't IC travelling to John Carroll?

Bartman

Quote from: Oline89 on December 09, 2019, 02:54:12 PM
Has any LL team announced OOC schedule for 2020 yet? Isn't IC travelling to John Carroll?
The only team I noticed that has its schedule up was Alfred(2020, 2021) and they play Ithaca at home and @ Rochester in 2020. I was thinking that the LL should schedule UMU and UMHB while they are slumping ;D. I was going to make a TOP comment regarding scheduling, but I am a bit concerned with the obsession shown by many here, including myself, but hey sometimes you just gotta make the time ::)
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Bartman on December 09, 2019, 04:20:22 PM
The only team I noticed that has its schedule up was Alfred(2020, 2021) and they play Ithaca at home and @ Rochester in 2020. I was thinking that the LL should schedule UMU and UMHB while they are slumping ;D. I was going to make a TOP comment regarding scheduling, but I am a bit concerned with the obsession shown by many here, including myself, but hey sometimes you just gotta make the time ::)

Bartman the people have spoken.  Everyone wants more TOP talk.  Don't ever be ashamed or concerned about our love for TOP and everything associated with it. 

But in terms of OOC games, I looked on the John Carrol Website and they have the game at Ithaca next year, with no game in 2021 (JCU has some of their future schedules up). 

Also noticed that 3/4 d3 semifinalists have d1 transfer quarterbacks as their starters.  It's almost as if d3 coaches need to keep in touch with former recruits who choose d1.  It would be interesting to know if there was any connection between these QB's and the d3 teams before the transfer or what those connections were.  I guess it isn't much different than any other d1 transfer though.

bleedpurple

Quote from: Jonny Utah on December 10, 2019, 07:43:27 AM

Bartman the people have spoken.  Everyone wants more TOP talk.  Don't ever be ashamed or concerned about our love for TOP and everything associated with it. 

But in terms of OOC games, I looked on the John Carrol Website and they have the game at Ithaca next year, with no game in 2021 (JCU has some of their future schedules up). 

Also noticed that 3/4 d3 semifinalists have d1 transfer quarterbacks as their starters.  It's almost as if d3 coaches need to keep in touch with former recruits who choose d1.  It would be interesting to know if there was any connection between these QB's and the d3 teams before the transfer or what those connections were.  I guess it isn't much different than any other d1 transfer though.

I may be wrong, but i doubt D-III coaches stay in touch with kids once they make a decision to attend another school. It may even be seen as an NCAA violation. I think it is more of a matter of not burning bridges during the recruiting process. If you are a D-III coach and a kid you are recruiting lets you know he is accepting a D-I offer, you offer a gracious reaction: "Congratulations! Well, you know we believe in you, so good luck! We wish you all the best.  If there is ever anything we can do for you down the road, just let us know."  Then put your focus elsewhere. Kids tend to remember those who treated them well during the recruitment process. 

But what do I know, I follow the team that doesn't have a D-I transfer as a starting QB!  That's why you should all root for Whitewater...a true underdog story!  ;)

Oline89

Interesting about the QBs.  Sure goes along with the indisputable fact that winning football in 2019 hinges on QB play.  I watched Muhlenberg QB in person 2 weeks ago and streamed game last week.  He really controlled the field, checked down on receivers, ran when he needed to, read the blitzes well.  I haven't seen the St John's or UWW  kids yet, but man, the North Central QB can sling it.

Jonny Utah

Quote from: bleedpurple on December 10, 2019, 08:24:38 AM

I may be wrong, but i doubt D-III coaches stay in touch with kids once they make a decision to attend another school. It may even be seen as an NCAA violation. I think it is more of a matter of not burning bridges during the recruiting process. If you are a D-III coach and a kid you are recruiting lets you know he is accepting a D-I offer, you offer a gracious reaction: "Congratulations! Well, you know we believe in you, so good luck! We wish you all the best.  If there is ever anything we can do for you down the road, just let us know."  Then put your focus elsewhere. Kids tend to remember those who treated them well during the recruitment process.

Yea I worded that wrong.  I meant keeping tabs on instead of keeping in touch.  Must be real difficult decisions for some of these kids to leave a full d1 ride or any d1 experience to go to a smaller school to play.