Potential Playoff Selections / Seedings

Started by HScoach, October 26, 2008, 11:11:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pat Coleman

Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

HScoach

Upstate:  I disagree.  Mount is clearly the #1 overall seed, but the other regional top seeds are open for discussion and could be easily tailored to produce the 1 vs 4 and 2 vs 3 regional pairings to get whatever they want.

The other seeding that seems logical is a 10-0 Cortland as the overall #2.

But what separates Millsaps from North Central or Willamette?  Can't be much.
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Bob.Gregg

Quote from: hscoach on November 12, 2008, 01:33:24 PM

hscoach, the prevailing thought process on this board leads people to think that MUC is heading East as the #1 seed.

IF Cortland is the overall #2, and the AA sends MUC east, I'm having trouble even describing what that would mean...
Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

retagent

The"dreaded" re-re-re-re match of MUC and UWW won't happen, IMHO - at least not in the Stagg). I have seen UWW twice this season, and I wouldn't be surprised to see them out in the second round, and would be very surprised to see them in the the semis - depending on who/where they end up playing in those early rounds. They're very good, but not that good.

usee

Quote from: Bob.Gregg on November 12, 2008, 02:03:32 PM
Quote from: hscoach on November 12, 2008, 01:33:24 PM

hscoach, the prevailing thought process on this board leads people to think that MUC is heading East as the #1 seed.

IF Cortland is the overall #2, and the AA sends MUC east, I'm having trouble even describing what that would mean...

I have seen speculation on this board of MUC being #1 east but I cannot see it happening if Cortalnd wins Saturday. From what I have read and seen I think its either Cortalnd loses and MUC goes east or all everyone stays in their regions (at the top) and slug it out. Much as I 'd like to see another North team get a #1 seed there is no basis for moving an NCC to the west with 3 undefeated's sitting there either.

Mr. Ypsi

To at least slightly thin out the North, how's the idea of CWRU going East as #2 or #3?  At least it would eliminate the indignity of an undefeated team having to go on the road.

Bob.Gregg

Been wrong before.  Will be wrong again.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Bob.Gregg on November 12, 2008, 05:54:57 PM
Last I looked, CWRU is undefeated....

Yes, and with the current regional rankings, they would have to play AT Trine.  As a #2 or #3 in the East, they'd be home for one or two games.

Frank Rossi

His point was that CWR should be a 2, 3 or 4 seed in the East so it can host.

However, right now, the North has 8 teams:

1) MUC
2) North Central
3) Wabash
4) Trine
5) CWR (Assumed Pool B)
6) Franklin
7) Otterbein (Assumed Pool C)
8) Aurora/Lakeland

You'd be forced to double-rotate to fill the North.  My guess:  Wesley rotates to the East.  The South is overflowing right now, and Wesley can fit into the East without major travel implications.  The East right now seems to have only 7 teams, as you know, so it can fit Wesley pretty easily.

HScoach

Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 12, 2008, 05:52:49 PM
To at least slightly thin out the North, how's the idea of CWRU going East as #2 or #3?  At least it would eliminate the indignity of an undefeated team having to go on the road.

As a North guy, I'd hate to see Case be rotated out if the goal is to make the region weaker.  Case is hardly a speed bump to any of the top 3 teams in the region.  And probably isn't any higher than the 6th team in the region if actually ranking the teams on who would be expected to win. 

1.  Mount Union
2.  North Central
3.  Wabash
4.  Otterbein
5.  Franklin - I know they lost to Trine, but I don't expect it again
6.  CWR
7.  Trine
8.  Aurora/Lakeland
I find easily offended people rather offensive!

Statistics are like bikinis; what they reveal is interesting, what they hide is essential.

Schwami

Moving Case to the East is no different than moving MUC in terms of geographic proximity.  It would also reward an undefeated team with a home game.  The spot opened up in the North by moving Case to the East can easily be filled by moving Thomas More to the North.  Probably close to a wash in terms of overall strength.
Long shall we sing thy praises, Old Wabash

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: hscoach on November 12, 2008, 06:10:03 PM
Quote from: Mr. Ypsi on November 12, 2008, 05:52:49 PM

As a North guy, I'd hate to see Case be rotated out if the goal is to make the region weaker.  Case is hardly a speed bump to any of the top 3 teams in the region.  And probably isn't any higher than the 6th team in the region if actually ranking the teams on who would be expected to win. 

1.  Mount Union
2.  North Central
3.  Wabash
4.  Otterbein
5.  Franklin - I know they lost to Trine, but I don't expect it again
6.  CWR
7.  Trine
8.  Aurora/Lakeland

Before I even started typing, Schwami came through with essentially what I was going to say!

I agree with everything hscoach said (even the exact order of North teams by actual strength, rather than criteria strength).  I'd really like to bust-up that MUC, NCC, 'bash logjam, but am no longer very hopeful it will happen unless Cortland or Willamette loses.  My suggestion does at least allow all five undefeateds to have at least one home game, though it doesn't really do that much in terms of the North being LOADED.  (But perhaps not significantly more so than was routine for the West some years back.)

TigerOldSchool

From the great pool C analysis (post 138) it does look like the west will have 7 (if form holds and Northwestern Mn is not in), which lends to the NCC to west discussion.  Since Redlands is really the last pool c legit option and on the outside looking in, a trip to northern Ill is probably in the cards for a west team.  At least this should help with some of the other logjams.
Football is just the warm up.  Oxy is a rugby school anyway.

Ralph Turner

I can imagine CWRU being moved to the East and getting a first round home game.  I think that there is something to be said for an undefeated team, especially if we can move Thomas More to the north and we have  teams from the South.

Muhlenberg
Millsaps
UMHB
HSU Pool C
CNU/Ferrum
Catholic/ODAC
Wesley  Pool B
LaGrange/Huntingdon  Pool B

Or, as Frank Rossi suggested, "Catholic Pool A, HSC Pool C".  This means we need to move Muhlenberg to the East as well.

East

Cortland losing to Ithaca NJAC Pool A
SJF E8 Pool A
Ithaca -- beating Cortland Pool C
Montclair St   Pool C
Hobart LL Pool A
NEFC Pool A
Muhlenberg  -- Moved in
CWRU -- Moved in