New England Soccer Discussion

Started by Jim Matson, June 09, 2006, 12:25:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OldNed

I watched a little bit of the Trinity/Eastern CT game online and I thought it was fairly evenly matched.  I didn't see the first goal as I tuned in after that, but both teams were able to move the ball and get a few chances.  I was impressed with ECSU's second goal, as Max Parent weaved his way through the midfield from left to right and then sent a shot back towards the far post once he had moved to the right side just outside the 18 yard box.  Nice goal to cap the night off for ECSU.

Skipper

Suffolk coaching position abruptly open. With their impending move to the CCC, could be a good growth opportunity.

ECSUalum

Quote from: OldNed on September 10, 2019, 09:30:06 PM
I watched a little bit of the Trinity/Eastern CT game online and I thought it was fairly evenly matched.  I didn't see the first goal as I tuned in after that, but both teams were able to move the ball and get a few chances.  I was impressed with ECSU's second goal, as Max Parent weaved his way through the midfield from left to right and then sent a shot back towards the far post once he had moved to the right side just outside the 18 yard box.  Nice goal to cap the night off for ECSU.

Ned, Sam Hurlburt's scored the first goal on a low drive from about the same spot as Parent's!  Trinity almost scored a goal to take the lead, but it was rejected by an ECSU defenseman, (Jared Caroline I think), as Butout was beaten!  BTW the NSN guy doing the game was excellent and made the match exciting to watch!  Overall, an entertaining match last night in Hartford.

rolldeisroll

Brandeis has a big NE game against WPI tonight, but looking forward to this weekends matchup against Tufts, it's interesting to note that over the past 4 years, Brandeis is 2-1 on Bello field, including the NCAA Elite 8 win. And both wins came in the year AFTER Tufts won the national championship. Which 2019 is as well. One to watch for sure!

PaulNewman

A handful of very good games this afternoon and tonight but I'm curious to tune in for a bit of Tufts versus Keene State as James McCully, the legendary, record-breaking Nauset HS (Cape Cod) player features for Keene State after transferring from D1 UNH.  James' father, the longstanding coach of Nauset HS, club teams, and a summer league men's team in the Cape Cod Amateur League (where a decent number of college and especially D3 players play in the summer) was a star at Keene back in the day and I believe still holds most of Keene's scoring records.  James the father coached both Savonen brothers (Brandeis and Trinity) for high school and club, and also for club Robbie Lynch (Brandeis), Andrew Sheridan (Rochester), Ben Altneu (UVM and then Wheaton), Adam Cowie-Haskell (Wesleyan and I think NESCAC rookie of the year), Brendan Nemes and Paul Beatty (WPI), Sean Hurlburt (Wheaton), my own kid (Kenyon), Trevor Gleason (current Kenyon frosh who scored versus the other Wheaton), and a slew of other players over the past decade plus.

blooter442

Quote from: rolldeisroll on September 11, 2019, 03:25:50 PM
Brandeis has a big NE game against WPI tonight, but looking forward to this weekends matchup against Tufts, it's interesting to note that over the past 4 years, Brandeis is 2-1 on Bello field, including the NCAA Elite 8 win. And both wins came in the year AFTER Tufts won the national championship. Which 2019 is as well. One to watch for sure!

Hate to be that guy, but technically the 2015 win was on Kraft Field — they moved to Bello in 2016. :P It's also worth pointing out that Tufts did win in the regular season before losing the 2OT Elite 8 game. Still, should be a good one — and will be a good benchmark on which to Judge (heh) Brandeis' potential "top 25" credentials.

ECSUalum

Keene St vs Tufts 1-1  James McCully just scored the equalizer for Keene second half at 32 min mrk!   Ratzan scores two goals in 30 seconds at 82 minutes!!
3-1 Tufts full time!  Keene was taking it to the Jumbos until Ratzan exploded for the two goals!! 

blooter442

Brandeis and WPI draw 1-1. Engineers struck first in the 6th minute and then Brandeis equalized later in the half. Brandeis looked decent through the second half (I missed the first) but WPI definitely had the better of the opportunities, and Irwin made a nice 1-v-1 save in 2OT. WPI dominated shots and SOG so I think in the end Brandeis would have been happier with a draw because the visitors looked much more dangerous on the attack in overtime, although they may feel it's an opportunity missed given home field. If you can't win, don't lose.

soccerfanatic

Springfield hung tough with Wesleyan today, falling 2-0.
Would have thought they would have been maybe more competitive since they drew 1-1 with Williams earlier this year

AllStar

Quote from: ECSUalum on September 11, 2019, 08:19:46 PM
Keene St vs Tufts 1-1  James McCully just scored the equalizer for Keene second half at 32 min mrk!   Ratzan scores two goals in 30 seconds at 82 minutes!!
3-1 Tufts full time!  Keene was taking it to the Jumbos until Ratzan exploded for the two goals!!

Tough loss for the Owls.

blooter442

WNE holds visiting Brandeis to a 2-2 tie. Hosts struck first, Judges went up 2-1, but conceded a second-half equalizer off a set piece which was admittedly a great header. Brandeis had the ball in the net in OT but an offside flag. The visitors looked solid and had more of the play, but the final ball was really poor and a number of decent opportunities completely dashed by the wrong ball or bad execution. They play some nice stuff and they show some good fight, but the ruthlessness of previous Brandeis sides isn't quite there.

One player that did catch the eye was #5 Michael Burch...it was opined by someone close to the program that he would get regular playing time (probably not start, but one of the first off the bench) in any of the 2012-17 seasons. Can play the DM role well but isn't afraid to get forward.

PaulNewman

Keene State is a team to monitor.  I don't think they are going to storm into a Sweet 16 but they might knock a good team out.  Good win over Clark today.  I watched much of Keene's game versus Tufts and they were competitive with the game still in doubt fairly late when Tufts got two scrum goals.  Once Emmanuel Smith figures out and accepts how good McCully is they will be even better, and McCully will get Smith more goals. 

Futball

Agree Keene is dangerous and their forwards will give most defenders a tough time. Some credit to Clark who almost came back from a two-goal deficit. Hit the crossbar and had a goal disallowed. Not sure what happened at the end as Clark players seemed upset about something. I think the commentators called a goal and then said offsides. If that is the case Clark had two goals disallowed.

ECSUalum

ECSU wins their 9th straight with a 3-2 victory over UMass Boston,  What was disconcerting was that the Warriors allowed 2 goals while UMB was playing down a man off a Rafael De Souza red card. :o  This raises some serious defense questions!!
Soph striker, Patrick Agyemang tallied his 10 goal of the season, in the 88 min to seal the victory!