MBB: Centennial Conference

Started by swish, March 01, 2005, 04:51:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gabriel

centfan,

Agree with you regarding both Ursinus and Haverford. They meet on Wednesday at Haverford. Should be a good game.

Ursinus struggled in the first half against Dickinson but took control in the second half when they switched from zone to man.  Dickinson was well prepared for their zone.  You mentioned the Ursinus big three, and I will add Muredda and Edwards, both unselfish and solid defenders in ways that do not always show up in the box score.  Also, Ryan Hughes is an excellent freshman who gets better and better each game on both ends of the court. Go Bears!

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

The Hoopsville Marathon Show ... is tomorrow!

Tune in starting at 12:00 p.m. ET as we talk to guests from around the country about nothing but #d3hoops.

It is all about celebrating the season, student-athletes, coaches, and an exciting season.

For more information, click here: http://bit.ly/2HGx0N3

We will share more about the show a little later.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

centfan

nice weekend....
fords handle dickinson decisively
ursinus in a three way tie for first place

noonhooper

Coming down the home stretch and there are three teams with a chance at hosting the tournament (I guess there's a way for the Mules to win the conference but if that happens it deserves a much longer post). Take a quick look:

JHU-  (Opp Conf Win% 58.9)
@Swat
Ursinus
@ F&M
Haverford

Swat- (44.6%)
JHU
@Dickinson
@Haverford
McDaniel

Ursinus- (55.3%)
Wash
@ JHU
Mules
F&M

Hopkins has the toughest remaining schedule but also has a chance to sweep both of the other teams. Ursinus gets three of their last games at home but a 4-2 record at home isn't super flashy. Swat has the game against McD to finish at home which is nice. But Dickinson and Haverford would LOVE to play spoiler at home. What a fun end to the season, anyone could end up the regular season champions!

Points of Interest:
- Only one team in the last six years has hosted the conf tournament and won it- Swarthmore, two years ago.
- F&M has not missed a conference tournament since the 2007-08 season (I think that's right)
-F&M hosted the tournament for 5 straight years 2009-2014, no one else has won the regular season championship more than two times in a row (Swat could three-peat this year)

Gabriel

Quote from: centfan on February 04, 2019, 07:41:40 AM
nice weekend....

I would add to that the Patriot's Super Bowl win.  I think that will stir up the Eagle's nest.

mailsy

Quote from: Gabriel on February 05, 2019, 10:52:24 AM
Quote from: centfan on February 04, 2019, 07:41:40 AM
nice weekend....

I would add to that the Patriot's Super Bowl win.  I think that will stir up the Eagle's nest.

Sweeter the victory for the Eagles. Go Birds!

Last year's Super Bowl was so much more of an entertaining game.

This year's.......Sucked!!!!!
Cabrini Cavaliers 2012 National Runner-Up.
First official poster on the Atlantic East forum board.

Gabriel

Mailsy,

Depends on where you sit.  Pats 13 Rams 3.  Eagles not even mentioned. Sounds like the Pats won to me. ;D

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

noonhooper

Last week of the regular season. This has been a great year for competitive games up and down (mostly, sorry McD and Gburg) the conference. F&M has a doozy of a final week playing both Ursinus and JHU so they have to really lock in to keep that fifth spot for the playoffs.

Anyone have any thoughts on COY, POY, FOY, DPOY or all-conference teams? It is always fun to hear other people's opinion since I only catch a few games and have some thoughts but maybe I missed someone, or saw a player when they had an off night.

gofords

I don't have thoughts on all of the awards but in my opinion:
POY/DPOY: Zac O'Dell Swat
FOY: Dan Gaines Muhlenberg
1st Team All Conference: O'Dell
Michael Gardner Johns Hopkins
Eric Williams Ursinus
Joe Scibelli Haverford
Ryan McTamney Ursinus

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: gofords on February 11, 2019, 08:11:21 PM
I don't have thoughts on all of the awards but in my opinion:
POY/DPOY: Zac O'Dell Swat
FOY: Dan Gaines Muhlenberg
1st Team All Conference: O'Dell
Michael Gardner Johns Hopkins
Eric Williams Ursinus
Joe Scibelli Haverford
Ryan McTamney Ursinus

What are your thoughts on Kupa from F&M - I only saw the one game in person, but he seems like a real future star to me; certainly one of the more talented players in the league.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

noonhooper

I agree about Kupa. I think he is one of the top wing defenders in the league with room to grow as he gets smarter, right now he is playing on instinct and he is still really good. His shot is a little up and down and he does well in Robinson's strict offense but makes some poor decisions when it breaks down or he is in transition. But those are only tiny points for a guy who has handled a lot for his first year and kept the Dips in a lot of games. I think he has a real chance at Freshman of the Year.

gofords

I believe Kupa is a sophomore. I like him, although maybe not as much as some. I agree that he is streaky offensively and while I think he has a lot of talent as a defender, a lot of the "selling calls" that he engages in isn't my thing. The guy on F&M that I really like is the big kid Ravetz. I think he's really talented, just doesn't always get a chance to show it.

noonhooper

You're right, I forget because he was behind those guards last year.

Three years ago, because of injuries, F&M went to the McGrath/Sylka lineup and it worked so they have never gone back to the days of two towers out there, tough for a big to get a ton of touches because of it. Some other players who should get some consideration but probably aren't first-teamers are:
Vila from JHU
Shafer and Wiley from Swat (Harkins?)
Turkson from Haverford
Gnias from Mules
McGrath from F&M
Washington from McDaniel was a stud scoring the ball early on but I think he has faded

Any precedent for Delaney as an Honorable Mention? he was doing so well in the first half of the season.

centfan

I know player of the year rightfully goes to someone on a winning team, but i think a case can be made for scibelli being the best player in the league this year. remarkable year given his injury last season. haverford lost by 2 to swat and o'dell and scibelli played each other even.