NESCAC 2014

Started by Becks, February 27, 2014, 08:56:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

amh63

Becks.....nice info on this board.  Been following your post, though my attention are elsewhere this Spring.  Plus K for the up to date charts.
I have been following both men's and women's soccer teams at Amherst in recent years...past 5-6 years really.  Have gone to Amherst's post season games at Messiah, York recently and even In Va. Years ago in a Final 4 match.
My interest is primarily due to following Amherst players from the D.C  area...two seniors on the women's team this year.  Been following the men's team due to a star on the men's team that played on the basketball team...has graduated.  The men's team has had family members on the women's team...hope you get the picture.  When I go to football games in Middletown Ct....I  often watch the soccer games before and after the football games....same case for Little Three matches up at Amherst.
I gather from your knowledge of recent recruits that your daughters have and will play on the Wesleyan teams.  If so, may bump into you this Fall :).
Your charts have intrigued me and I have made some connections...that may or may not have any true bases....such as when two or three conference teams have large recruiting classes such as Middlebury and Amherst, Williams has a smaller number of recruits.  Not always related to the number of graduates, etc. or to the number of players that go away during junior year.  There are reasons that talented players are often recruited by other Nescac  schools.
Oh well, just some rambling thoughts.   Will post more when Fall comes.

Becks

Quote from: amh63 on May 06, 2014, 12:11:29 PMYour charts have intrigued me and I have made some connections...that may or may not have any true bases....such as when two or three conference teams have large recruiting classes such as Middlebury and Amherst, Williams has a smaller number of recruits.  Not always relate to the number of graduates, etc. Or the number of players that go away during junior year.  There are reason that talented players are often recruited by other Nescac  schools.
Interesting. So are you suggesting that there is a fairly limited pool of NESCAC recruits, so that if one school gets a particularly large recruiting class, that takes recruits away from the recruiting classes at other schools and results in them having relatively smaller recruiting classes? Certainly sounds plausible.

BTW, what did you do to get 232 smites?

amh63

That reminds me...forgot to give you your deserving point.
I do most of my posting on the men's basketball board.  There has been a great deal of chatting going on  between Williams, Amherst and Middlebury...the top teams for the past 4-5 years or more between posters with strong opinions.  In any case, it seems that there was a person who decided to smite posters from the top teams consistently...over a period of a year...for about 150 plus smites.  The person was discovered and action was taken by several of us that for now stopped the foolishness.
That explains part of the total.  The remaining is that I seem to irritate some others from time to time over several boards...concerning conference matters.  I am a very strong supporter of Amherst sports...being a graduate and a father of three graduates...two boys and one girl.

Yes, it takes a special student- athlete to compete in the conference...national ranked teams in all sports.  Add the high academic rankings of the schools, etc....the talent pool of players becomes somewhat limited...even when conference schools "recruit" players around the world and from all states.

Becks

A partial 2014 schedule for Wesleyan has been posted on their website: http://www.wesleyan.edu/athletics/wsoccer/scheduleresults.html.  Only 5 games posted so far. Interesting that Wes is playing UMass-Boston, Babson and Vassar in non-league games. They played Babson last year (0-0 tie), but haven't played Vassar since 1992 and have never played UMass-Boston before.

Hamilton's 2014 schedule is also now posted: http://www.hamilton.edu/athletics/womens-soccer/schedule-results This looks like their complete regular season schedule. 3 of 4 non-conference games are the same as 2013: SUNY Oswego, SUNY Canto, and Utica College, but they have replaced SUNY Cortland with SUNY IT.

Both schedules contain games that are not yet on the 2014 schedule on the NESCAC website (http://www.nescac.com/sports/wsoc/2014-15/schedule). The schedules on the school's websites are consistent with the schedules on the NESCAC website to the extent they overlap except that the NESCAC website has Hamilton playing Williams on Oct 29, while the Hamilton website has Hamilton playing Williams on Oct 28.

Becks

Trinity's 2014 schedule is available on their website at http://athletics.trincoll.edu/sports/wsoc/2014-15/schedule 2 of 4 non-league games are the same as last year: Manhattanville and Albertus Magnus. But St Joes (ME) and Wheaton (MA) have replaced Westfield St and Eastern Connecticut State as the other 2. The schedule is consistent with the schedule that is now on the NESCAC website: http://www.nescac.com/sports/wsoc/2014-15/schedule.

Becks

Colby's 2014 schedule is now available on their website at http://www.colby.edu/athletics_cs/womens_soccer/index.cfm?content=schedule Curiously, there are 5 non-league games listed, giving Colby a 15-game regular season schedule. Isn't the limit 14? 4 of the 5 non-league games are the same as last year: U of New England, Southern Maine, Maine-Farmington, and Husson. The 5th is against Thomas. The league schedule is consistent with the league schedule that is now on the NESCAC website: http://www.nescac.com/sports/wsoc/2014-15/schedule, but none of Colby's non-league games are on the NESCAC website schedule yet.

Becks

Article from Trinity website about release of 2014 schedule.
QuoteMay 21, 2014
Trinity Women's Soccer Releases 2014 Schedule

Hartford, Conn. – The Trinity College women's soccer team, coached by Michael Smith (15th season), has announced its 2014 schedule. In total, the Bantams will take to the pitch 15 times, highlighted by nine matches in front of their home crowd on campus. Trinity will have a pair of three-match homestands as it looks to build on the success of last season. In 2013, the team finished the year ranked No. 23 nationally after posting its best-ever record at 13-4-1 record, while qualifying for the NCAA Division III Championship Tournament for the first time.

In the upcoming fall, Trinity will open the year with a home contest against crosstown rival St. Joe's on September 3. Following that game, the Bantams have a non-conference home game against Manhattanville (9/9) sandwiched around New England Small College Athletic Conference (NESCAC) road tilts at Hamilton (9/6) and Williams (9/13). After facing the Ephs in the Bay State, Trinity will return home for four straight home games against Wheaton (9/19), Colby (9/20), Albertus Magnus (9/24) and Bates (9/27).

In October, the Bantams will travel to Brunswick, Maine to square off with Bowdoin in NESCAC action before returning to Hartford for a three-game homestand that will bring Middlebury (10/11), Tufts (10/12) and Western Connecticut State (10/15) to campus. To end the regular season, Trinity will have road games at Wesleyan (10/21) and Amherst (10/28), while facing Connecticut College (10/25) at home.

In 2014, Trinity will face a pair of opponents that ended last season ranked in the top-25 in the NSCAA Coaches' Poll as Middlebury and Williams were ranked No. 3 and No. 15, respectively, while Amherst received votes in the final poll on December 10.
Apparently the St Joes game is against Univ of St Joes in West Hartford, CT. Both the Trinity website schedule and the NESCAC website schedule still mistakenly shows it as St Joes (Me).  Also, the article mentions a 10/15 game against Western Connecticut State. This game is not on either NESCAC website schedule or the Trinity website schedule. The addition of the WesConn game gives Trinity a 15-game regular season schedule. They only played 14 games in 2013.

Becks

Seems like NESCAC must have changed its rules to allow schools to play a 15-game regular season schedule, with 5 non-league games. Last year, all the schools played a 14-game regular season schedule, with only 4 non-league games. So far, both Colby and Trinity have come out with 15-game schedules for this year.

Becks

Updated list below. New addition in bold.

Amherst - Delancey King - Braintree, MA - Scorpions SC ECNL U18 - MF
Bates - Sarah McCarthy - ? - East Meadow SC Dynamite NPL U18 - GK
Bowdoin - Rachel Stout - Lakeville, MN - Shattuck-St Mary’s Sabres U18 - GK
Conn - Aimee Manderlink - Ridgefield, CT - Yankee Utd U18
Conn - Michelle Medina - CT - Oakwood SC U18
Conn - Nicole Medina - CT - Oakwood SC U18

Trinity - Maddie Snyder - Montclair, NJ - Match Fit ECNL U18 - M
Tufts  - Chandler Quintin - MA - Scorpions SC ECNL U18 - MF
Williams - Natasha Albaneze - Northport, NY - East Meadow SC ECNL U18 - F
Williams - Hanna Kaeser - Pelham, NY - Connecticut FC ECNL U18 - MF
Williams - Katherine Sands - Rye, NY - Connecticut FC ECNL U18 - DM
Williams - Jacqueline Simeone - Milton, MA - IMG Soccer Academy - D

Becks

Updated list below. New addition in bold.

Bowdoin - Rachel Stout - Lakeville, MN - Shattuck-St Mary's Sabres U18 - GK
Trinity - Alexa Barbaresi - CA - West Coast FC - D
Williams - Hanna Kaeser - Pelham, NY - Connecticut FC ECNL U18 - MF
Williams - Katherine Sands - Rye, NY - Connecticut FC ECNL U18 - DM
Williams - Jacqueline Simeone - Milton, MA - IMG Soccer Academy - D

Becks

Wesleyan now has their full schedule posted, except that it is missing the Middlebury game (@ Middlebury on Oct 25). http://www.wesleyan.edu/athletics/wsoccer/scheduleresults.html. Their full schedule (with the Middlebury game) is now available on the NESCAC webiste at http://www.nescac.com/sports/wsoc/2014-15/schedule. In addition to previously posted nonleague games against UMass Boston, Vassar and Babson, they have added games against Eastern Connecticut and Elms, thus joining the ranks of NESCAC teams with a 15-game regular season schedule.

Becks

Williams now has their full schedule posted at http://ephsports.williams.edu/sports/wsoc/2014-15/schedule and on the NESCAC webiste at http://www.nescac.com/sports/wsoc/2014-15/schedule. Williams has also gone to a 15-game regular season schedule, with 5 non-league games against Wheaton, MIT, Castleton State, Springfield and New England College. Last year, Williams had a 14-game regular season schedule, with 4 non-league games against Wheaton, Oneonta State, Springfield and Farmingdale State.

Becks

2014 home and away game schedule advantage.

When I ran the stats several years ago, home field was worth, on average, about a goal in NESCAC women's games. Every NESCAC team plays 5 games at home and 5 away, but the key is which games you play at home and which you play away. You want to play as many close games - games likely to be decided by a goal or less - at home, and play the less close games - games likely to be decided by more than a goal - away.

Last year, the league fell into two tiers: the top 6 teams (Middlebury, Williams, Bowdoin, Trinity, Amherst and Tufts) had 5 or more league wins, and bottom 5 teams (Wesleyan, Colby, Conn, Hamilton, Bates) all had only 1 league win. If we assume that the league will continue to have a similar power split and that the closest games will be between teams in the same tier, each team in the top 6 would rather play other top 6 teams at home and feel good about its chances away at the weaker 5, while each team in the bottom 5 would probably prefer to play other weaker 5 teams at home to pick up a couple more wins and take whatever it can get away at the top 6.

Here's how the 2014 schedule breaks down:

The top 6's 2014 home games against other top 6 teams:
Bowdoin - 3
Middlebury - 3
Williams - 3
Amherst - 2
Trinity - 2
Tufts - 2
So advantage to Bowdoin, Middlebury and Williams.

The bottom 5's 2014 home games against other bottom 5 teams:
Bates - 4
Colby - 2
Wesleyan - 2
Conn - 1
Hamilton - 1
So a significant advantage to Bates, and a bit of a disadvantage for Conn and Hamilton.

Becks

Bowdoin now has their full(?) schedule posted at http://athletics.bowdoin.edu/sports/wsoc/2014-15/schedule and on the NESCAC webiste at http://www.nescac.com/sports/wsoc/2014-15/schedule. So far, Bowdoin appears to be bucking the trend and sticking with a 14-game regular season schedule, with 4 non-league games against Me-Farmington, U of New England, Brandeis and Southern Me. Last year, Bowdoin also had a 14-game regular season schedule, with the same 4 non-league games.

Becks

Updated list below. New additions in bold.

Bowdoin - Rachel Stout - Lakeville, MN - Shattuck-St Mary’s Sabres U18 - GK
Trinity - Alexa Barbaresi - CA - West Coast FC - D
Wesleyan - Samantha Ashley - CT - Connecticut FC ECNL U18
Wesleyan - Ellie Dempsey - Stamford, CT - Connecticut FC ECNL U18 - M