MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rlk

Congratulations to Babson on their Final Four berth!  Do the NEWMAC proud!

I said it 2 years ago and I'll say it again: Babson fans, if there is any possible way you can arrange the trip to Salem, *do so*.  It's an experience you won't forget, and you never know whether and when you'll have the opportunity again.  I went down there in 2012 when MIT was in the Final Four, and even though we lost our semifinal it was a very worthwhile trip and a great time watching our Engineers on the big stage.

Good luck!
MIT Course VI-3 1987 -- #RollTech

AllStar

Babson trailed Whitman 45-20 at one point in the first half, but now only trails 51-47 at halftime in the first national semifinal in Salem, VA.

AllStar

Final: Babson 91, Whitman 85.  The Beavers trailed 45-20 in the first half, but outscored the Blues 71-40 the rest of the way.

rlk

Good luck to Babson against Augustana tomorrow!

rlk

Congratulations to Babson on their national championship!  Terrifc game.

nescac1

Congrats to Babson!  Way to represent New England.  And what a career for Flannery. 

falcons2010

Congrats to Babson; the players, coaches, administrators, families, alumni, and friends. Great season!

WPI89

Way to go Beavers!  GReat fro Babson.  Great for NEWMAC. CONGRATS TO ALL INVOLVED. 

ECSUalum

Great Job and Congrats to Babson!  Also congrats to Augustana for a great game which could have gone either way!

amh63

Congrats to Babsons!  J. Flannery is a senior...right? :).  Great bunch of seniors and I have to admit I am glad they will graduate with a title won and found memories on the hardwood.
Saw a tweet on the Amherst website....from the NE Patriots congratulating Babson and Amherst for winning National BB titles!

magicman

Congatulations to Babson on their National Championship and to Joey Flannery on his Player of the Year award. Both the team and Joey earned those well deserved honors.

WPI89

AMH63 - yes Flannery is a senior.  Cool about the Pats tweeting about D3 hoops!

Anybody know if there is video of the block to end it anywhere?  I did not get to watch the final and would love to see that last sequence.

rlk

See https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DF8vlz52pKI around the 3 minute mark, and https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ktOUUPJQl8I

Very impressive effort by Flannery, the sort of thing a National Player of the Year does.  He missed the front end of his 1-1 long, with a long rebound.  He didn't wait, started back down the court (see the second video).  Absolutely perfect timing on the block.  Saw the interview with him afterwards; he had noted the Augustana player's propensity to drive right, so he got himself in position for the play.

I wish him well on his pro career and in coaching afterwards.  I'm not unhappy that we finally don't have to face him (and Nelsen, and Rice, and the rest of Babson's senor class) next season, though!

The Pats noticed that Babson won after being down by 25 against Whitman.  Something about being down 25 points and coming back this year in Massachusetts, it seems.

WPI89

+1 RLK - watched the whole 5 minutes - well worth it - thanks for sharing!!!!!

rlk

...AAAAAND THEY'RE OFF!

Preseason exhibition last night, MIT at Harvard.  Harvard escaped with a 73-64 win, but it was a 4-point game with 1:31 left.  We never led, but we never trailed by more than 10 or let Harvard go on one of its trademark 10-minute runs.  We were twice within 2 with the ball with about 10 minutes left, but couldn't convert either possession.  This game counts for Harvard, BTW (D1 season starts earlier than D3).

Harvard's the pre-season Ivy League favorite.  Big and athletic, more so than I remember in the past.  The opening jump, 6'7" vs. maybe 6'11" (or so it looked, at any rate).  They have an NBA prospect by the name of Seth Towns who was expected to go to Ohio State or Michigan (funny pair of choices), but he opted for Harvard; seems he's studying computer science, wants to play for the NBA and then work in high tech.  Good for him.  Looked scary for us, just how big and quick they are.  But a funny thing happened.  We settled down, contested *everything*, took it to the rim or otherwise, and Harvard had everything they could handle.  Illustrative of this was when the smallest guy on the court, Nacho Nwana, timed it perfectly and ripped a rebound right out of Towns's hands.  Nacho could be out there against LeBron and he'd make the King pay for everything.  He's actually very bright and just all around a really nice guy (the apple didn't fall far from the tree; I've met his parents several times), but I think there's a little gap in his vocabulary: he doesn't know the word "fear".  The rest of the usual suspects, and some new ones, played their hearts out.

I thought last year's game, when we were within 10 with 5 minutes to go, was a good one.  This took it to a whole other level.  A few more things and Harvard might have woken up 0-1.