MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hugenerd

I heard MIT played really well in the tournament.  The team they played in the finals was no joke, it was a professional team with some guys that even competed on Taiwan's national team.  MIT has some really talented young big men and I think they will be a force next year in the NEWMAC.

Clark Basketball

They say that every year....without D'Auria they wont be as good as they were last year. 

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Quote from: hugenerd on June 05, 2006, 11:59:29 AM
I heard MIT played really well in the tournament.  The team they played in the finals was no joke, it was a professional team with some guys that even competed on Taiwan's national team.  MIT has some really talented young big men and I think they will be a force next year in the NEWMAC.

Taiwan National Team is not necessarily indicative of anything.  They might be the best the island has to offer, but you have to take it all in perspective.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

hugenerd

Quote from: Clark Basketball on June 05, 2006, 12:31:54 PM
They say that every year....without D'Auria they wont be as good as they were last year. 

I guess we'll have to wait for the season to start to see that.  Don't forget that MIT also had the NEWMAC rookie of the year last year, Jimmy B., who happens to play the same positions as D'auria (1-3).  He may not be as good offensively yet but he is a better defender already. 

I hope Clark is better next year, only 4 conference wins this year.  Although you could make the argument (like you have with D'auria and MIT) that since they lost Dutile they may be even worse next year. 

Also, I don't know where you get this "every year" stuff, I don't think MIT has ever got enough hype to make that comment (there is pretty much no MIT talk on this board other than me).  Regardless, unlike other years, MIT has a player in Soumare who took over two conference tournament games last year (Babson and CGA) and who has shown that he can score as well.  They have three solid inside/outside scorers in Bartolotta, Krull, and Mroz and they have depth in the post with Juneau and Johnson.  They will be solid again and contend for the NEWMAC championship.  I think the top 3 teams next year in no given order will be MIT, WPI and CGA.

Quote from: Hoops Fan on June 05, 2006, 12:43:09 PM
Quote from: hugenerd on June 05, 2006, 11:59:29 AM
I heard MIT played really well in the tournament. The team they played in the finals was no joke, it was a professional team with some guys that even competed on Taiwan's national team. MIT has some really talented young big men and I think they will be a force next year in the NEWMAC.

Taiwan National Team is not necessarily indicative of anything. They might be the best the island has to offer, but you have to take it all in perspective.

Let me ask you this, when you say you have to take it all in perspective, what does that mean? Do you have an insiders perspective because you have seen Taiwan play, scouted their talent and made an informed decision. Or are you making your comments on the assumption that MIT is not good and any team they beat must be not good as well.  Unfortunately, I believe you are making your comments on preconceived notions and not on any sort of fact.  What if the Professional team they played in the finals is legit and MIT just played really well?  For some reason, no one believes that MIT can actually be good at basketball.  Everyone can continue to hate on MIT, but I am going to give them some respect for winning 21 games last year and coming one game from winning both the NEWMAC regular season crown and the conference tournament.  Everyone on this board can continue to take them lightly, but I gaurantee that the coaches in the NEWMAC won't.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

I like MIT; I think they are a good squad.  I think they will be competitive this year.  However, that being said, there are at least 300 collegiate US teams that are better than they are.  That doesn't count all of the professional squads here.  In comparison, they are not at the top of the ladder.  That was all I was refferencing.

I actually do follow international ball a little bit and Taiwan is consistently in the bottom of world rankings and don't show well, even in the historically weak Asian Sectional.  It's a good trip for MIT, but its not like they beat the Argentinian national squad or anything.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: hugenerd on June 05, 2006, 02:56:02 PM
Everyone can continue to hate on MIT, but I am going to give them some respect for winning 21 games last year and coming one game from winning both the NEWMAC regular season crown and the conference tournament.  Everyone on this board can continue to take them lightly, but I gaurantee that the coaches in the NEWMAC won't.

I will give them respect for doing that as well, though not for dominating various levels of Taiwan basketball. It's a fun trip and a good story but beating lower-level competition doesn't elevate MIT as a Division III basketball program.

But as I said, good story and worthy of the recognition.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

hugenerd

I agree with the last two posts.  It just seems that whenever there is something positive written about a school that isn't a historical powerhouse, there is immediate resistence from posters manifested as negative comments. 

Also, when I said MIT was going to be competitive and good, I was by no way comparing them to any other division or all of dIII for that matter.  I was comparing them to teams in the NEWMAC and saying they would be competitive in their league.

The Taiwanese professional team was the favorite going in, the tournament was even covered on ESPN(whichever version is broadcast in taiwan), MIT got the win and the upset.  All I am saying is there is no need to put down MIT for winning, regardless who the opponent was.

clarkie

Soumare plays like a soccer player. He slide tackles and talks more trash than any player I have ever watched. A good athlete yes. But not a true basketball player.

clarkie

And yes Timmy Dutille has graduated, but Clark has a star in Dominique Beck and Trey Thomas. Also, I've heard that despite Cassara leaving, three recruits are coming to Clark, including their number one recruit that is not listed on the Daily Dose site. It will take a year or two, but hopefully Clark will once again be the headlines in the alumni magazine. Also, Cory Szklarz has one year left of eligibility and did not graduate this year, despite his senior status. That might make things interesting.

hugenerd

Quote from: clarkie on June 05, 2006, 06:51:03 PM
Soumare plays like a soccer player. He slide tackles and talks more trash than any player I have ever watched. A good athlete yes. But not a true basketball player.

If by slide tackle, you mean he takes charges--I agree.  And for that matter, being a "true" basketball player doesn't matter (have you seen Diop play for the Mavs in the playoffs, he started playing basketball when he was 17).  He can run faster and jump higher than anyone in the NEWMAC.  He also has a better court sense on defense and passing the ball than most big men I have seen in the NEWMAC.  He is one of the few players I have seen in DIII (especially in the NEWMAC), who can change the complexion of an entire game with just his rebounding and defense (he gets most of his offense of put-backs and dunks).  For example, last season against Babson in the first round of the conference tourney: It was his first game back after breaking his thumb and he and MIT were playing absolutely awful for most of the game until the last 10 minutes when Soumare had 5 blocks and something like 10 boards and MIT won relatively easily.  Not to mention the next game against CGA when he shutdown Craig Johnson who had scored 32 the previous game when Soumare was out (in addition to the most ridiculous play I saw all season when Soumare stole the ball at the opposing free-throw line, outran CGA's entire team dribbling down the court and dunked 2-handed from outside the lane over one of CGAs players).   

You may say he isnt a true basketball player, but there is no way you wouldn't want him on your team.

And who cares about trashtalking, that is just part of the game now, you'll find that at any level from high school to the NBA.

clarkie

No I am not talking about taking charges thank you very much, I'm not a basketball fool. At a game I watched between MIT and Clark, Soumare literally slide tackled one of Clark's players right in front of the scorers table. Coach Anderson had to take him out and remind him that he was playing basketball, not soccer. And yes trash talk is trash talk, but after watching and playing basketball in high school and college and having season tickets to an NBA team my whole life, Soumare trash talks like Ben Wallace. He too has to remember that though an extremely good athlete, he is also a student and is representing his school. Many left that game with poor feelings towards MIT, because of the trashy style of play of Soumare. MIT has a great coaching staff and some nice kids that have talent, but Soumare needs to tone it down and prove that he is indeed a great basketball player.

hugenerd

First off, I as well played high school and college basketball and I was actually a part of the coaching staff you spoke of highly (although I am no longer a part of it because I am focusing on my studies) and I appreciate the kind words.  I haven't seen Soumare do that, but I will admit that I was not at the first Clark-MIT game last year because of academic commitments (so if that is when you were talking about, you are entitled to your opinion and I cannot say anything because I was not at that game). However, I would not go so far as to say that his style of play is "trashy".  He plays extremely hard and I am sure that, like anyone, he can get carried away sometimes.  In the 25 games I watched him play last year I can not remember a time when he was completely out of line.  Anyway, I didn't mean to start any hostilities, I was just trying to defend the team.  Good luck next season and I am sure all these arguments will settle themselves on the court next year.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Wow lots of animosity in the NE region today.

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Have we gotten word on the NEWMAC's response to the alleged Gordon petition for membership?

clarkie

Has anyone heard anything about the Clark job? I keep checking the papers and the Clark athletic web site and no updates...I thought there was supposed to be a hire by the beginning of next week? I am getting antsy.