MBB: NEWMAC

Started by nehoops4life, March 03, 2005, 10:39:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

10d310

huge win for babson against WPI...they finally seem to be making some sense and only giving minutes to the top players rather than playing ever person possible...Kyle McDonald has been running the show and had another huge game 19 and 7 boards....WPI is a good team but they  have huge soft spots and can't handle a double teams...babson didn't let them run there offense, cain faded away like "all-americans" do, and WPI's coach (sidenote: he consistly runs illegal practice type pickup games all year long and is a real shady character) lost his cool on a babson player and the fans...they probally still are the best Newmac team, but if Newmac teams watch this game tape there are huge holes in there defense and they can't handle a double team in the post if there life depended on it....It'll be interesting to see them rebound from this loss

10d310

also on another note WPI is 17-2, but they have played some crap teams outside the Newmac...there top two wins are Bridgewater State and Elms college.....i think Bridgewater is a pretty tough team, but WPI plays nobody.....u gotta give it to Babson for the schedule they play

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Babson has played a tougher schedule, but they're not quite up to WPI's level just yet.

I looked down their respective schedules and it seems to me that if they switched schedules, they'd both have about 4-5 losses right now.

I don't think WPI is as good as people keep saying they are, but they're certainly still the class of this conference.

Although hats off to Babson for getting the W.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

hugenerd

MIT upsets Springfield.  Jimmy B. nearly records a triple double, again, with 25, 9, and 8. MIT is a surprising 5-5 in conference with two games to play.  They are in good position to host a first round newmac game.  Great job by coach anderson this year.

smarshall

Hey first tiem in the Newmac room.

I agree it was a good win for MIT.  I normally don't attend NEWMAC games, being a NESCAC guy, but I wanted to see SC play.  The guard for MIT was good but the best player on the floor was the Bracht kid for MIT.  Both teams played extremely hard though.  After I left I had to remind myself it wasnt a home game for MIT because everytime a SC player looked at #25 on MIT wrong he seemed to go to the free throw.  The Bracht kid was good though.

About the previous comments, I agree about WPI schelude.  Just by looking at box scores they do seem to be above the rest of the league but not by much.  They play nobody.  Its seems like they coast into conference play, while teams like SC, Babson, and Wheaton seem tired.

SC and Babson play a lot tougher scheludes.  I was amazed to see some of the teams on both their scheldues.  (Teams like Amherst, Trinity, Rhode Island College, Keene State, Williams, Bridgewater State, Lasell, Brandies)

SC has played 6 of the top 10 teams in NE, and 7 of 12.  Including a win against Trinity (a supposed Sleeper in the tourney)

hugenerd

Quote from: smarshall on February 07, 2007, 10:17:21 PM

I agree it was a good win for MIT.  I normally don't attend NEWMAC games, being a NESCAC guy, but I wanted to see SC play.  The guard for MIT was good but the best player on the floor was the Bracht kid for MIT.  Both teams played extremely hard though.  After I left I had to remind myself it wasnt a home game for MIT because everytime a SC player looked at #25 on MIT wrong he seemed to go to the free throw.  The Bracht kid was good though.

I disagree.  Bracht is a solid player but he isnt as good as Jimmy Bartolotta.  #25 is by far the best player on MIT and one of the best players in the conference (I would argue he is the best, but I know Ryan Cain is going to get player of the year even though he doesnt do as much for his team defensively- and by defensively I mean in terms of rebounds, steals, and blocks).  Bartolotta is ranked in the top 7 in eight of nine statistical categories the NEWMAC reports (as of Feb 4) and is in the top 4 in six of those eight categories (2nd in ppg, 4th in assists, 7th in steals, 3rd in rebounds, 3rd in 3pt fg%, 7th in 3pt fg per game, 1st in FT%, and 3rd in blocks: http://www.newmaconline.com/sports/basketball_m/stats.php?reports/basketball_m/9).  He is also a sophomore.  In addition, the team is missing 3 starters from earlier in the season and 5 major contributors from last years team (who they did not lose to graduation).  If you take Bartolotta off that team they win 3 games or less this year.  There is no player in this conference that means more to his team than #25 on MIT.

Pat Coleman

Some pretty serious allegiations there, 10d310. I assume you have some proof that you are about to share with us? Otherwise you are out of line with the Terms of Service.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

smarshall

Cain will win player of the year because he's the best player on the best team in the conference and he is better than Jimmy B.

Ive only seen him play once and he was their best player, but not conf poy.

Other people in the confernce could put up tons of numbers if they played 40 minutes on a very medicore team

hugenerd

Quote from: smarshall on February 08, 2007, 11:35:15 AM
Cain will win player of the year because he's the best player on the best team in the conference and he is better than Jimmy B.

Ive only seen him play once and he was their best player, but not conf poy.

Other people in the confernce could put up tons of numbers if they played 40 minutes on a very medicore team

We can disagree on this one.  In my opinion, it is easier to put up numbers when you have people around you that are a big threat because teams have to play you one on one and your teammates can also set you up (as is the case with Cain and WPI).  I know that you also have to share the ball more in this case, but there is a balance and I think Cain's circumstance helps him out alot.

Obviously WPI is the best team in the conference and Cain may be their best player, but I guess it depends on what your definition of player of the year is.  Last year Mike Dauria won the award and he was on the team that finished second in the conference (MIT) and he did alot of the things Jimmy B is doing this year, but he also had alot more support.

One other point that I have to make is that Cain actually averages more minutes per game than Bartolotta (36.6 vs. 36.1).  It isnt a big difference, but the playing time argument does not apply here.  And, like I said in an earlier post, Bartolotta puts up stats on both sides of the ball, not just on offense.  He also has to deal with alot more attention from the opposing team because he is the primary threat on his team.

These are just my thoughts and by no means is Cain a bad choice as POY or less deserving.  That said, when i think of a player of the year, I think of someone who is the most complete player and helps his team the most.  If you take Cain away from WPI, I am sure someone else would step in for him and do a decent job (he may not do as good a job, but the team would not fall apart).  I dont think you could say the same thing for Bartolotta and MIT.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: 10d310 on February 08, 2007, 10:20:09 AM
from what I have heard he ...

OK, well, I kinda warned you about the hearsay thing, right?
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

boknows

10d310 isn't out of line.  he's right on the shady character part.  tip of the iceberg he's touching.  how do I give him karma?   

i'd like so see someone from the newmac beat amherst or williams...
swish

boknows

lol... oh man, nevermind.   

the newmac should get some more teams in their conference, they don't have enough in my opinion. 
swish

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

This is not going to end well.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

hugenerd

Quote from: boknows on February 09, 2007, 11:57:07 AM
10d310 isn't out of line.  he's right on the shady character part.  tip of the iceberg he's touching.  how do I give him karma?   

i'd like so see someone from the newmac beat amherst or williams...

To give karma you would have to make about 200 more posts to reach starter status.

clarkie

Seven is a nice number...every team gets to play each team twice and it rewards the regular season champion with a first round tournament bye...it allows team to avenge close losses and allows late blooming teams to bloom in front of their conference peers.