FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITH radio

Yep, agree. Check out the Noontime Football Friday podcast. Good convo with new MIT HC Brian Bubna (Hobart '04).
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

NED3Guy

FootballScoop reporting that Castleton (VT) Oline Coach Kevin Trigonis has been named the OC at Union. Trigonis was the OC at RPI during some of the Mike Hermann years before heading to Castleton.

****while I write this I learn that Union has now made the hire official***

https://www.unionathletics.com/news/2018/3/26/football-trigonis-joins-dutchmen-as-offensive-coordinator.aspx?path=football

Oline89

Hobart Spring practice starts today! 

UfanBill

I'm excited by Union's hire of Kevin Trigonis as OC. Trigonis has been instrumental in elevating Castleton to winning seasons in 3 out of 4 of his years there with an overall 24-16 record.....http://www.unionathletics.com/news/2018/3/26/football-trigonis-joins-dutchmen-as-offensive-coordinator.aspx?path=football

In other Union news...Former head coach John Audino has left Columbia where he has served two years as an offensive assistant to another former Union head coach Al Bagnoli. Audino will reportedly be named head coach of LaSalle Institute, a AA high school in Troy, NY. Audino is an Albany native.   
"You don't stop playing because you got old, you got old because you stopped playing" 🏈🏀⚾🎿⛳

ITH radio

Happy for Coach Audino!

Brandon Shed had a great pro day at FAU, running a 4.4, jumping 10' 8" long and 35.5 vertical to go with 16 bench reps.

Bombers798891

Ithaca has updated its football records page. To watch this season:

Will Gladney is 46 receptions and 408* yards away from passing Dan Ruffage as the school's all-time leading receiver. So that will happen. The only real question to ask is if he can set it by enough that Andrew Vito doesn't pass him.

Wahid Nabi is 6,540 yards away from Josh Felicetti's all-time passing yards record. This will be another record that will fall, eventually, barring injury. The single season mark of 2,882 is in real danger.

*This does not account for the pre-2001 non-counting of NCAA playoff statistics, which would make (I think) George Mack the all-time leader—until Gladney passes him. I know  IC's sports info department would like to add this stuff up, but it would take awhile. I do hope it happens though, because there are a lot of really great IC players who deserve to have their names in/higher up in the record books who are being lost to history.

pumkinattack

I had the pleasure of playing non paid "semi pro" (though some guys were getting paid by the owner) football w George Mack, super nice guy.  Ironically, Abe Ceasay was my HS QB (also a winning smile kind of guy) so I could probably fill in some of your wr history.

Bombers798891

Quote from: pumkinattack on March 29, 2018, 07:35:42 AM
I had the pleasure of playing non paid "semi pro" (though some guys were getting paid by the owner) football w George Mack, super nice guy.  Ironically, Abe Ceasay was my HS QB (also a winning smile kind of guy) so I could probably fill in some of your wr history.

That's really cool. I love stories about Bomber guys, especially those before my time

Mack is the most underrated player in Bomber history. He's got a school record 22 TDs (which also won't last), and averaged an amazing 18.7 yards per catch. In fact, if he played under the modern record keeping rules, he'd actually be the leading receiver in school history, with a shade over 2,000 yards. He's arguably the guy Gladney is chasing for GOAT status.

The other candidate would be Nick Ismailoff, who really only had one great season in 1991, but it's a little hard to argue against a guy who put up a season line of 93-1,335-11 considering he did much of that damage in the playoffs, and when IC's base offense was the veer option.

Ceasay was really good, and really was the first star receiver of Mike's more modern offenses. He's been forgotten about, in large part because he played during the frustrating late 90s when a lot of Bombers fans were struggling to adjust to the new reality of no longer being a national power and never making the playoffs. He should be remembered as one of the all-timers.

Gladney is just a different level. Part of it is just that he's a modern player, in the sense that he's 6'3'' 225 and because of that, can do things those guys couldn't. Part is that he plays in the best possible era for passing, where guys completing 60% of their passes is kind of a baseline for being great (Todd Wilkowski was the QB for two national championship teams and he had a career completion percentage of 48%)

All that aside, he's still a force unlike anything I've seen. There were absolutely plays where he just physically could not be stopped. He's too big, he can go up get the ball, and he uses his hands and body so well. He's not just going to set every record there is, he's going to obliterate them. A special, special player

Bartman

Gladney is a very special player for D3. No one has really been able to cover him. I know Hobart tried isolating our best cover corner on him and we saw how that turned out. Enjoy the show this year, the special ones need to be savored . I am glad Hobart has time to develop before the IC game.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Bartman

Quote from: ITH radio on March 27, 2018, 05:45:58 PM
Happy for Coach Audino!

Brandon Shed had a great pro day at FAU, running a 4.4, jumping 10' 8" long and 35.5 vertical to go with 16 bench reps.
These are top 5 D1 stats....he is getting attention, for sure. I heard his route running was really crisp and turned heads. He has come a long way since his Freshman year when his hands were a question. He may possibly be drafted late, but definitely will have a FA spot and a good look this summer somewhere.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

Jonny Utah

Quote from: Bartman on March 29, 2018, 05:32:45 PM
Quote from: ITH radio on March 27, 2018, 05:45:58 PM
Happy for Coach Audino!

These are top 5 D1 stats....he is getting attention, for sure. I heard his route running was really crisp and turned heads. He has come a long way since his Freshman year when his hands were a question. He may possibly be drafted late, but definitely will have a FA spot and a good look this summer somewhere.

I didn't watch too much Hobart football last year, but did they run any WR screens or speed sweeps to shed? 

Before facemasks

No really screen developed for him. Downfield pass game-verts/post. Deep outs, especially on Bootleg or scramble QB actions. Home Run type action was the standard fare.

ITH radio

He played mostly a X / SE on the left side in the Sr Bowl. His two catches were on short drops when he caught the ball after he ran a couple yards, made the catch, then ran for the 1st down marker (which he made both times). His size and athleticism will earn him some looks after the FAU pro day. Supposedly Atlanta is interested, and Dan Quinn is a former D3 guy. Miami and Arizona scouts were also in attendance.

Bartman

Draftblaster.com is projecting Brandon Shed as a seventh round pick going to the Seattle Seahawks in their mock draft. This mock draft has been updated for recent trades and is fairly current, perhaps reflecting his pro day.  You never know when your dream could come true. We will see.
Alex Karras
Max McGee
Joe Namath

Oline89

Mount Ida dropping fall sports means teams in the ECFC need opponents for open dates. Castleton has an open date 9/29, maybe a homecoming opponent for Hobart?