MBB: Great Northeast Athletic Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, December 17, 2004, 12:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjunito

Is Emmanual having a down year or just a rough start. Looks like they have been getting beat up a little.

Any news on Shannon?

T990

Jeremy Shannon did not play vs MIT this week.  He was there in sweats; sorry, I don't know if he's injured or why he's not playing.  It's a big break for Emerson opponents as long as he's out as Piano Row Gymnasium is tough place to play when he's leading their swarming "Tarkanian" defense and offense

Hugenerd

Quote from: T990 on December 04, 2009, 12:58:34 PM
Jeremy Shannon did not play vs MIT this week.  He was there in sweats; sorry, I don't know if he's injured or why he's not playing.  It's a big break for Emerson opponents as long as he's out as Piano Row Gymnasium is tough place to play when he's leading their swarming "Tarkanian" defense and offense

He did do some warm-up type stuff, though, so it appears as though he may be close to coming back.

pjunito

Quote from: hugenerd on December 04, 2009, 01:40:43 PM
Quote from: T990 on December 04, 2009, 12:58:34 PM

He did do some warm-up type stuff, though, so it appears as though he may be close to coming back.

Boy, I hope so. No conference wants the pre-season player of the year and all american mention player injured or missing a lot of games. He changes that team, they are still a good GNAC team, but not great.

GNAC conference play is about to get real good. One coach told me early games don't alway tell you the whole story. Who is playing well and together in late January, that is the dangerous team. Still, I would think you don't want to lose too many early games trying to find out what you have as a team?

Any news on mid year transfers?

All-around

Has anyone seen Albertus?

pjunito

I have seen them. I saw their lost to Western Ct State and their win against Lasell. They are deep, the coach goes with the hot hands late in game. The only two constants are Ray Askew and Bryon Reeves. They will give a lot of teams trouble because of their depth. The freshmen Lora is learning, he should get better by the end of the year. But, he is a beast. They have another freshmen Armstrong who jumps out of the gym and blocked 5 shots in those two games. They are also missing Beckford, power forward, who should return in January. Albertus, should have best front line in GNAC when he returns.

Askew was rookie of year in conference last year. He will be first team conference this year and might get mention for player of year, if Albertus wins enough. The scariest part of this team is that they have one senior (he comes off the bench) and one junior. This team was picked to win the conference playing with all these young guys.

beaner11

is it Byron Reeves or Walden St Juste for Albertus.

All-around

Clealry it seems as if Albertus is the favorite...what is the rankings after AMC? Surprisingly it seems Emmanuel and Lasell may be a little down this year, Emerson is tough to tell until Shannon is back, and Norwich is 5-1.

pjunito

Quote from: beaner11 on December 07, 2009, 03:50:40 PM
is it Byron Reeves or Walden St Juste for Albertus.

Young is the senior and St. juste is the junior.

pjunito

Pre-season rankings from thegnac website:

2009 Men's Basketball Preseason Poll
Total

Rank
Team   

1. Albertus Magnus    64 points

2. Emerson   63

3. Saint Joseph's (Maine)   62

4. Emmanuel 57

5. Johnson and Wales 38

6. Rivier 34

7. Norwich 30

8. Lasell 27

9. Mount Ida 18

10. Suffolk   12

Hugenerd

Shannon appears to be playing against Mount Ida tonight.

All-around

Shannon returns to have 22pts, 10 rbs, 6asst in 38 min. Guess he's healthy now. But emerson's Rouse did not play in the game.

leelowlang

GNAC First Semester All-Conference Team
Sure this'll bug somebody...just one basketball junkie's opinion.

First Team:
Raymond Askew - 6'6", So., F, Albertus Magnus – 19.5 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 52% FG, 2.2 bpg
Lamonte Thomas - 6'2", So., G, Johnson & Wales – 24.9 ppg, 50% FG, 2.8 apg, 76% FT, 47% 3FG
Walden St. Juste - 6'1", Jr., G, Albertus Magnus – 20.3 ppg, 77% FT, 3 spg
Tyler Kelley - 6'3", Jr., G, St. Joseph (ME) – 16.5 ppg, 53% FG, 46% 3FG
Darren Martinez - 6'0", Sr., G, Mount Ida – 14.1 ppg, 58% FG, 5.2 apg, 0.9 bpg

Second Team:
Keith Jones - 6'0", So., G, Mount Ida – 19.8 ppg, 87% FT, 1.6 spg, 39% 3FG
Javon Williams - 6'4", So, F, Lasell – 19.9 ppg, 7.9 rpg, 57% FG, 96% FT, 2.4 spg, 1.3 bpg
Matt Pepdjonovic - 6'6", Fr., C, Suffolk – 14.6 ppg, 12.8 rpg, 53% FG, 0.9 bpg
Rashon Jones - 6'3", Jr., F, St. Joseph (ME) – 11 ppg, 8.4 rpg, 72% FG, 3 apg, 1.8 bpg
Antonio Davis - 6'6", So., F, Norwich – 11.1 ppg, 10.4 rpg, 1.1 bpg

Player of the Semester:
Raymond Askew - 6'6", So., F, Albertus Magnus – 19.5 ppg, 11.2 rpg, 52% FG, 2.2 bpg

Newcomer of the Semester:
Keith Jones - 6'0", So., G, Mount Ida – 19.8 ppg, 87% FT, 1.6 spg, 39% 3FG

Coach of the Semester:
Mitch Oliver, Albertus Magnus

Emerson_fanatic

leelowlang i have only one major disagreement with you on your first semester all-conference team and that is putting Freshman Matt Pepdjonovic of Suffolk on the 2nd team and not 1st team GNAC. As a Emerson fan i cannot wait to see this young kid face-off vs Rouse. Pepdjonovic is an interesting story. I asked around about this kid, played one year of organized basketball his senior year at Boston College High School, where he came off the bench usually as the 6th man and was learning the game. He was not highly recruited by any means and Suffolk was lucky enough to land him. He's 6'6(probably more like 6'7) has the potential to fill out and be even more of a beast. Saw him play one game vs JWU where he had 18 points and 22 rebounds and seemed unstoppable when he was given the ball in the post. His upside is huge! Very Athletic and smooth at his size and seems like his potential has not been reached yet by any means. He is averaging 15.9 ppg, 12.3 rbg, leads Suffolk in steals,blocks, and fg% and has lead them to a 4-5 record. Good considering they won 3 games last year. I don't believe he is a fluke either, i understand their wins are against lesser opponents but this kid can flat out play. What shocks me is the fact he played one year of basketball and he is already found his game and is dominating at the D3 level. If he stays he will dominate the GNAC for years to come, i would not be surprised if a D2/low D1 school finds out about this kid and scoops him away from Suffolk with a scholarship offer. I'm hoping he does not stick around because Suffolk would have the weapons to be a powerhouse if they can recruit one or two more solid players and as a Emerson fan that would be hard to watch. Good luck to the teams this 2nd semester, watch out for Emerson Shannon is on his way back to team up with Rouse and dominate once again!   

leelowlang

Good stuff E-F.  Thanks for the info.  Look forward to watching his continued development.