MBB: Great Northeast Athletic Conference

Started by Hoops Fan, December 17, 2004, 12:05:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pjunito

you living in my head!!!! I agree with your predicitions..

I know everyone in new Haven wants to see Suffolk come to Albertus on Thursday.... They want to see Albertus avenge their regular season lost in Boston.. I know one guy who said he will sleep at the gym to get the best spot for that game. But, I don't see JWu losing at home. I think St. Joe's beats Emerson (Emerson too young to win this game, even at home). Albertus and Anna Maria should have little trouble with their opponents tonight.

pjunito

GNAC Quarterfinal results from Tuesday:

#1 Anna Maria 85, #8 Emmanual 76
#2 Albertus 84, #7 Rivier 65
#3 JWU 72, #6 Suffolk 71
#5 St. Joes 73 , #4 Emerson 68, OT

Anna Maria was tied late and finished on a run under 3 minutes left to win.

JWU was up 15 with 6 mins left, Suffolk tied it at 67 with 1:01 left, JWU hit some big shots and fouled up 3 with 8 seconds left.

St. Joes and Emerson played a good game, ugly to start but strong defense.

Albertus led the entire way, up 24 at one point in second half.

pjunito

GNAC SEMIFINAL ACTION – Thursday, February 21
#1 Anna Maria 75, #5 St. Joseph 63
#2 Albertus 104, #3 JWU 77

Championship Game  - Saturday, February 23

#2 Albertus at #1 Anna Maria

I think this is the game all fans could have asked for... the best two teams in GNAC, Anna Maria beat Albertus the only time they played this year. It was in Paxton; a very good back and forth game. It was tied with 4 minutes remaining when Anna Maria pulled away and hit their free throws late. Anna Maria is Athletic and has a lot of confidence, winning 16 straight games. Albertus has won the GNAC 2 out of the last 3 years, including a blow-out victory last year over the AMCats. This should be a great game, I think this game will be tight and if it comes down to coaching, Albertus has a huge edge. I think Albertus will come out aggressive, and very confident they can win on the road. They will be able to score, the key is on the defensive edge. I think they will concentrate on preventing wide open looks from 3 point range like in the first game. Either way, I think lots of scoring and much better game than last year.

lildave678

Albertus goes on the road and avenges their lost with an 87-80 win. Watson scored 30+ and Jennings came up huge in the 2nd half.

PJunito, were you at the game? Do you have any idea what Lora or Jimmy said to earn those two technicals late in the game? Either it's worse than I can imagine or those refs wanted the game to be about them? Its the last 3 minutes of a conference title game. When questionable calls are made the kids are gonna be upset. Need to take the game into consideration. Also, the AMCat announcers didn't say anything about it but you could see the AMCat coach jawing at Mitch after the techs. Any idea why?

We await the selection show!

pjunito

I was at the game. What a great game and better atmosphere; two good teams, passionate fans, it was great! The AMCats fan were in full force, but Albertus had one section and made a lot of noise.... It was great!

Lora deserved his technical, he cursed at the offical. Dumb mistake on his part, but he looked right at the official and used the magic words, can't blame anyone for calling that, regardless of the score or time or kind of game.

Now, the technical on Jimmy, may be the worst call I've seen in collegiate basketball. Jimmy had just picked up his 5th foul and it was a stupid foul. He was walking off the court, taking his jersey out, and said .... to himself. The official immediately t'd him up and ran across the court.. he gave no explanation to Mitch. That is when the other coach started yelling saying give him (coach oliver) a technical.. Screaming at him.

Very dumb fouls down the stretch by Albertus, but they hung on. Watson took over the second half, scoring 11 straight points. Jimmy E and Jennings hit back to back three pointers to pull away with under 5 left. Larson hit two big free throws up 5 with 1:30 left, he knocked down two to push the lead back up to 7.

Anna Maria's fan were classy at the end; they gave Albertus and their own team big hands; many of them wished Albertus luck in the NCAA's...

Speaking of the tournament, this team is not as good as last year's team which lost in the second round. If they win one or two games, all the credit goes to Coach Oliver. He is a division 1 coach and maybe giving him a week to prepare for a team might give him an edge. Let's see. Selection show coming on Monday.

GnacBballFan

Was with Lora last night, and of course I asked "what did you say to get that tech?" He said "honest to God, I said nothing, I started clapping and they T'd me up." Amcats coach has lost twice to Mitch in GNAC finals, he seems bitter

pjunito

Charles

Quote from: GnacBballFan on February 24, 2013, 09:10:50 AM
Was with Lora last night, and of course I asked "what did you say to get that tech?" He said "honest to God, I said nothing, I started clapping and they T'd me up." Amcats coach has lost twice to Mitch in GNAC finals, he seems bitter

he said nothing and got a "T"?

7express

Quote from: Charles on February 24, 2013, 08:01:41 PM

Actions speak louder then words.

pjunito

Quote from: 7express on February 24, 2013, 09:04:16 PM
Quote from: Charles on February 24, 2013, 08:01:41 PM

Actions speak louder then words.

Yes, they do.. And he cursed. lol.

lildave678

Could definitely see Chi saying something haha. But I absolutely believe you when you say Jimmy didn't say anything. I saw him throw his hands up but you could tell he was upset with himself more than the call. Oh well, they got through it and held on.

Hoping they avoid one of the NESCAC juggernauts in the first round haha since they were beaten pretty handily last year and this team is weaker.

pjunito

I don't think they will play one of those teams in the first round... I think those teams will get "weaker" opponents. I think Albertus will head south, to NY, NJ, or PA.

7express

Quote from: pjunito on February 24, 2013, 10:46:59 PM
I don't think they will play one of those teams in the first round... I think those teams will get "weaker" opponents. I think Albertus will head south, to NY, NJ, or PA.

I could see them playing somebody like Purchase (Skyline champ), Old Westbury (if they make it), or Cabrini (CSAC champ).  IF they wanted to keep them in region (not likely, but who knows), I think MIT or RIC would be potential opponents for them.  Only about 13:20 until we can end the speculating and know for real!

lildave678

Albertus will head to PA to take on Alvernia. Just looking at their team statistics, seems much like the game 3 years ago against Willy P. Very balanced scoring (three guys in the 13-14 range, one at 11) and the numbers point to a defensive team. I think William Paterson was the best statistically on defense that year. Alvernia is only 5th in their conference in scoring but despite that they're 1st in point margin because they only give up 62 a game. They only shoot 44% from the field and 65% from the FT line. Not very big, no one runs above 6'6 and they start 2 guys under 6 ft at 5'9 and 5'11. Just at first glance it seems like it should be a good game and nothing the Falcons should be afraid of (besides the 4 hour bus ride haha).

pjunito

Alvernia was the number 1 team in their region... Albertus was not ranked in their region... However, Albertus plays in a much bigger and probably better region. So, I wouldn't read too much into that. I think this is a classic 8 vs 9 or 7 vs 10 game (if this was D1). Both teams look on paper pretty even. Alvernia plays 7 guys, that is it. Alvernia starts 2 guards and 3 forwards. Their best two players are Brian Parker and Lamont Clark, Parker is a 6-5 junior who has shot the ball well recently; he scored 27 and 30 in the semi final and championship games (his best scoring performance). Clark is a 5'11 sophomore guard. They start three juniors and two sophomores, and have two guys coming off bench, a 6'6 center who avgs 5 mins and a freshmen who avgs 9 mins over last 5 games.

I think this is a great match-up for Albertus. Albertus likes to score and when they get into the 80's usually win a lot. Alvernia plays solid defense, keeping most opponents to the mid 50 range. The key will be, imo, can Albertus score 80 points. If they do, I don't see Alvernia scoring more than that to beat Albertus. Next post will have some match-up situations.