BB: D-3 Players in minor leagues/MLB

Started by Spence, September 11, 2007, 11:21:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WLCALUM83

Kudos to Chris DeNorfia (Wheaton-MA), who drove in the winning runs for San Diego in an Opening Night win over the Dodgers!

Bishopleftiesdad

WLCALUM83

Speaking of the Reds, a second D3 alum, Chris Heisey, (Messiah) drove in the game winning run in their first win a couple of days back, too.

Also heard Eric Kratz (Eastern Mennonite) is now with Toronto.

Colorado

The "Just Curious" Dept: I noticed that Marietta's Austin Blaski is listed as voluntarily retired after 2 decent seasons in the low minors. Anyone know what happened?

WLCALUM83

Blaski apparently suffered an  "undisclosed injury" in June of '13, per an article about "Miller Park Prospects"

02 Warhawk

Came across this fun fact today in twitter:

This day in #Brewers history 2000: Bob Wickman (UW-Whitewater grad) All-Star Poster Night - which comes one day after he was traded to the #Indians

narch

i posted this on the usasac board, but thought i'd throw it on here as well

the jump to the highest level of A ball has not slowed chris perry (methodist university)...

in 8 games for palm beach, he has given up 1 hit in 7.1 ip and struck out 8 to go with 2 walks and 3 saves

his season line so far is as follows:

4-0, 6 sv, 56.1 ip, 12 er, 1.92 era, 88 k, 17 bb, 30 h, .83 whip, 14.06 k/9, .150 baa

austin chrismon (cnu) is having a solid season, as well - he's still in short season a ball in the ny/penn league, but is 4-2 with a 3.27 era and 31 k's in 41.1 ip

kevin herget (kean), the other d3 pitcher we've talked about on these boards from that draft class is having a nice season, too - he's at low a peoria and is 5-3 with a 3.26 era and 78 k's in 58 ip - his strikeout rate, which was one of my concerns last year, has more than doubled this year despite being at a higher level of play

good to see these d3 guys having success

WLCALUM83

Tim Locastro (Ithaca) is currently batting .313 with the Vancouver Canadians, who have clinched a spot in the Northwest League playoffs--

Tyler Brunnemann (Hardin-Simmons) started out this season with Quad Cities, but is now with Lancaster (California League).

WLCALUM83

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on August 31, 2014, 10:30:30 PM

Tyler Brunnemann (Hardin-Simmons) started out this season with Quad Cities, but is now with Lancaster (California League).

Last night, Tyler was named MVP of the California League championship series after Lancaster won the deciding game.

narch

chris perry, from methodist university is playing for the peoria javelinas in the arizona fall league...that's pretty big news - LOTS of top prospects playing in the afl

narch

Jim Dixon

Cincinnati Reds had Marietta left-hander Ryan Dennick up this year. He played a year at Marietta and graduated from Tennessee Tech.

Drafted:    2009 -- 22nd round (662nd overall) by Kansas City Royals for those keeping score

WLCALUM83

Chris Denorfia is now with the Chicago Cubs.

Updates on 2 other former D3 baseballers--

Tyler Brunnemann (Hardin-Simmons) is now with Lancaster

Tim Locastro (Ithaca) is playing for Lansing (Midwest League)

cubs

Former UW Oshkosh LHP Luke Westphal is in the Minnesota Twins organization pitching for the Advanced Class A Fort Myers Miracle. 

He signed a free agent contract after pitching in Independent Leagues and over in Australia for a year.

http://twinsdaily.com/articles.html/_/minnesota-twins-news/minnesota-twins-minor-leagues/luke-westphals-long-road-to-the-twins-r3444
2008-09 and 2012-13 WIAC Fantasy League Champion

2008-09 WIAC Pick'Em Tri-Champion

Bombers798891

Quote from: WLCALUM83 on April 11, 2015, 02:20:27 PM

Tim Locastro (Ithaca) is playing for Lansing (Midwest League)

Locastro had kind of a weird year last year. A .312 average and .407 OBP are great, but his walk rate plunged from 13 in 162 PAs to 12 in 310 and he had just 12 XBH. It's mostly singles and HBP for him, which I worry will not translate well to the higher levels.

A fantastic player in D-III, and obviously he made the right choice to make the jump, but I wonder if we'll start to see his limitations come into play this year