BB: Pool B

Started by Bronko7, April 21, 2008, 09:39:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Spence

Quote from: BigPoppa on April 21, 2014, 10:36:39 PM
Could a move to Pool B actually help the WIAC!? If it were this season, they could possibly get two Pool Bs and still have third in the running for Pool A.

Possible. I think it would hurt Pool C more than helping the WIAC. Their top 2 are usually gonna be good enough to get bids, however they come.

What it probably would do is decrease Pool C by 1, and a WIAC team may still get a Pool C bid (if other teams get the other Pool Bs), which means one less for everyone else, maybe more than one if a third WIAC team gets in via Pool C. I've heard the argument "well they can win their league". Two teams can't win the same league. Southern Maine and ECSU can't both win the LEC. Kean and Rowan can't both win the NJAC. Whitewater and Stevens Point can't both win the WIAC. IMO a team shouldn't be penalized for playing in a good league.

The Pool B drain hasn't been as big a factor lately thanks to the March Madness windfall, but you (and I) have been around long enough to remember when there were THREE Pool C bids and more Pool B bids (enough that someone like Chapman basically started the year in the regional and had to play their way out). Let's just hope we don't get near that.

I think the way things are right now has been good...there are a couple Pool B bids for outstanding teams, and then the opportunity exists for those teams to get one of an ample number of Pool C bids. I don't think a truly worthy team, a team with a solid chance of getting out of a regional, has been left out for several years.

Someone brought up to me the possibility of an affiliate member of the WIAC, but I don't see that. No one wants to play in that league with the schools that size. The best fit in that way would be St. Thomas, but they have such a great deal travel-wise in the MIAC that I can't see that. It would open up 4 more chances for non-conference matchups between the two leagues (or Chicago-metro schools). So that might be fun for everyone and help the conference's collective SOS.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: cubs on April 21, 2014, 09:30:09 PM
Might be adding the WIAC into the Pool B conversation as soon as 2015-16....

http://www.jsonline.com/sports/statecolleges/uw-superior-moves-to-leave-wiac-for-minnesota-conference-b99252592z1-256049331.html

There's a two-year grace period for conferences dropping below seven teams, so the deadline is actually the 2018 baseball season.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Ralph Turner

With the third regional rankings just released, I predict 4 Pool C bids will go to Pool B teams.  The 2 Pool B teams will be pulled off first. (For the sake of discussion, I am listing the ranking of "non-Pool A" schools as they come to the table.)

Central Region --Washington St L #4  And between three teams that are leading their respective conferences.
Mideast          -- Case #3 (behind 2 OAC schools that have the tourney this weekend.)
New York  -- Ithaca   #2
                 -- St John Fisher #3
South       -- Emory #2  (behind Pool C #1 Shenandoah.  Emory might go as a B.)
                -- Birmingham Southern #3

Spence

Has a regional top 4 ever been left out?

Ralph Turner

I cannot remember a time in baseball when the top Pool B/C team at #4, that the best at large in the region, was not given an at large bid.  If one of the teams above them lose in the tourney, especially Augie or BVC, then WashUStL might move to #3.

ADL70

I don't understand nearly four times the number of votes for Emory than CWRU on the front page poll.  Identical W pct., CWRU has higher SoS and CWRU has head to head 2-0.

Emory is in too, but not by that large margin over CWRU.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Bishopleftiesdad

Adl,
I agree, I voted for cwru and was surprised at the results.

BigPoppa

It just means there are more Emory fans on here than CWRU...
Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

ADL70

Quote from: BigPoppa on May 11, 2014, 04:43:52 PM
It just means there are more Emory fans on here than CWRU...

Funny none of them post.
SPARTANS...PREPARE FOR GLORY
HA-WOO, HA-WOO, HA-WOO
Think beyond the possible.
Compete, Win, Respect, Unite

Bishopleftiesdad

Well maybe they just visit d3baseball.com.

Ralph Turner

Reposting from the E8 board.  I believe that the E8 schools move to Pool A in 2017.

Quote from: Ralph Turner on February 21, 2015, 11:28:11 AM
Quote from: John McGraw on February 20, 2015, 12:51:40 PM
http://empire8.com/news/2015/2/19/BB_0219150131.aspx

SUNY Canton has been added to the Empire 8 as an affiliate member for baseball. A tournament will be held at the end of the regular season to crown an Empire 8 champion. With the addition of Canton, the league now has seven baseball playing members which is the threshold for an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament. Normally there is a wait time for a league to be granted an AQ after it reaches seven teams.

Quoting KnightSlappy's summary from the Men's Multi-Region Hoops Board

Quote from: KnightSlappy on September 10, 2014, 09:13:01 AM
Conference Changes Starting in 2014-2015
Bryn Athyn joins the NEAC (should be a 1st year provisional member in 2014-15)
Elizabethtown leaves the MACC for the LAND
McMurry rejoins Division III and the ASC (should be Year 1 reclassifying member in 2014-15)
Mississippi College leaves the ASC for Division II  (Going to the D-2 Gulf South Conference)
Penn College joins the NEAC (should be a 1st year provisional member in 2014-15)
Sarah Lawrence joins the SKY (should be a 4th year provisional in 2014-15, skipping Provisional Year 3 via NCAA waiver)
Wilson to add Men's basketball and join the NEAC
Midwest Region renamed Central Region in Men's Basketball
CAC realigned from multi-region to Mid-Atlantic Region
CSAC realigned from Mid-Atlantic to Atlantic Region
HCAC realigned from Central to Great Lakes Region
LAND realigned from multi-region to Mid-Atlantic Region
MACF realigned from Mid-Atlantic to Atlantic Region
NEAC realigned from mult-region to East Region
WIAC realigned from West to Central Region

Provisional Pipeline for 2014-2015
(First year of full membership: Centenary (La.))
4th year provisional members: Sarah Lawrence, SUNY-Canton
3rd year provisional members: Houghton, Southern Virginia, Valley Forge
2nd year provisional members: Iowa Wesleyan
1st year provisional members: Bryn Athyn, Penn College, Berea, Alfred State, Illinois Tech, McMurry (reclassifying)
Exploratory members: Belhaven
*Alfred State and Illinois Tech were not advanced to Year 2 status.

Conference Changes Starting in 2015-2016
Belhaven joins the ASC (should be Year 1 Provisional Member)
Chatham to add Men's basketball and join the PrAC.
St. Josephs (Blkyn.) leaves the independent ranks and joins the SKY
UW-Superior leaves the WIAC for the UMAC

Conference Changes Starting in 2016-2017
Carroll leaves the MWC for the CCIW
I also think that Houghton and SUNY Canton will need to be full D-3 members.

My guess is that the Conference earns its Pool A baseball bid in 2017, when Houghton is the 7th full member.

I respect the E8 Presidents and Commissioners Office to understand the quickest way to get the Pool A bid, so I think the timing of adding SUNY Canton is to facilitate the 2017 baseball bid.

Ralph Turner

Pool B:  2016 Handbook has these alignments (22 teams)

Central Region: 
Chicago (UAA)
Neb Wesleyan -- declaring for IIAC in 2016-17;
WUStL (UAA)

Mideast:
Finlandia;
CWRU (UAA)
Summit University of Pennsylvania (the new name of ?sometime? CSAC member Baptist Bible College)

Midwest:
Maranatha Baptist University

New England:
Brandeis (UAA)
U Maine, Presque Isle

New York:
Empire 8  -- (six teams) Elmira; Ithaca, SJF; SUNY Canton; Stevens Tech; Utica
CUNYAC -- (five teams)  Baruch; CCNY; John Jay; Lehman; Coll of Staten Island

South:
Emory (UAA)
Rust

Ralph Turner

Pool B:  2017 Handbook has these alignments (24 16 teams)

Central Region:    2
Chicago (UAA)
WUStL (UAA)

Mid-Atlantic Region:    1

University of Valley Forge

Mideast:   3
Berea College (Provisional 2017-2018)
Finlandia
CWRU (UAA)
Summit University of Pennsylvania (the new name of ?sometime? CSAC member Baptist Bible College)

Midwest:  1
Maranatha Baptist University

New England:  2
Brandeis (UAA)
U Maine, Presque Isle

New York:  5
Empire 8  -- (seven teams) Elmira; Houghton; Ithaca, SJF; SUNY Canton; Stevens Tech; Utica
CUNYAC -- (five teams)  Baruch; CCNY; John Jay; Lehman; Coll of Staten Island

South:  2
Emory (UAA)
Rust

See Jim's note below.

ADL70 found that NYU is not listed in the Handbook either!

Ralph Turner

The CUNYAC conference website lists U Maine, Presque Isle and Finlandia as associate members in baseball. If the conference has done the paperwork correctly, then my guess is that the CUNYAC would qualify for a Pool A bid in 2019.

The WIAC has 6 members since UW Superior left for the UMAC. The WIAC is in Year 2 of the Grace period. If they do not find an affiliate or if neither UW-Eau Claire nor UW-River Falls add baseball for 2018, then the 6 WIAC teams will be in Pool B.

Jim Dixon

Empire 8 has an automatic bid this year.  This was an error is a older version of the handbook.

New version:  http://www.ncaa.org/sites/default/files/2017DIIIMBA_PreChampsManual_20170426.pdf

FYI - it might be possible for the number of Pool B bids to move from 2 to 1.  There is a dispute about the math.