WBB: American Southwest Conference

Started by Pat Coleman, March 17, 2005, 02:27:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CUAfan

First blog post on ASC individual stats is up!
Let's go 'Nados!

mcmfan

Arrgh... The ASC got four teams into the playoffs, and it looks like all four of them got knocked out in the first round.  This isn't going to help us look like a strong conference.
Alacumba!

Ralph Turner

Quote from: mcmfan on March 02, 2012, 10:52:56 PM
Arrgh... The ASC got four teams into the playoffs, and it looks like all four of them got knocked out in the first round.  This isn't going to help us look like a strong conference.
CTX did not surprise me, but LC needed to win on the road at Thomas More.

CUAfan

Quote from: mcmfan on March 02, 2012, 10:52:56 PM

LC only lost by 3 and UMHB by 2, so those games could easily have gone the other way. As I understand it, McMurry was close to Whitworth through most of the game which bodes well for them. Only CTX didn't really perform well, and I'll admit they weren't the strongest possible team. Could the ASC have done better? Yes, but we hardly embarrassed ourselves.
Let's go 'Nados!

mcmfan

They may have performed well but a loss is still a loss; people usually just look at the win/loss column and don't bother to check the point spread.  Incidentally, what happened to LC in their game with Thomas More?  I tried to follow the in-game stats and with 15 seconds to go, they were ahead by one.  It was a timeout.  Then, they turned over the ball and then fouled and then it was over and they had lost.  Did they inbound the ball after the time out and have it intercepted by a TM player?
Alacumba!

CUAfan

Quote from: mcmfan on March 03, 2012, 11:00:56 PM
They may have performed well but a loss is still a loss; people usually just look at the win/loss column and don't bother to check the point spread.

If I may speak frankly, if all someone looks at is W/L and doesn't even look at margin of victory, much less the rest of the box score, then I do not care about that person's opinion. The point of the game is to win of course, but if one wants to know how well a team played then one has to look at more than just W/L.

Which is why I look at the numbers I do.
Let's go 'Nados!

CUAfan

How each team's per-possession performance ranks all-time for that particular school:

Concordia-Texas: +0.14, 1st
East Texas Baptist: -0.14, 13th
Hardin-Simmons: +0.08, 14th
Howard Payne: +0.16, 7th
LeTourneau: -0.08, 5th
Louisiana College: +0.23, 2nd
Mary Hardin-Baylor: -0.11, 14th
McMurry: +0.16, 7th
Mississippi College: +0.02, 14th
Ozarks: -0.04, 7th
Schreiner: -0.11, 1st
Sul Ross State: -0.39, 14th
Texas Lutheran: -0.10, 7th
Texas-Dallas: +0.13, 3rd
Texas-Tyler: +0.00, 7th
Let's go 'Nados!

mcmfan

I didn't say it was fair, just that I suspect most people don't bother to look beyond the win/loss record, so that the more wins we could get against non-conference teams, the better.
Alacumba!

Ralph Turner

To chronicle how far the ASC seems to have fallen,

CTX lost to NWC's Lewis and Clark by 18. L&C lost to NWC rival George Fox by 2, a parity of sorts.

LC lost at Thomas More by 3 in the first round, which lost to IWU ( a Final Four team) by 27 on the next night.

Remember the strong HPU, HSU and McMurry teams of the previous decade?

CUAfan

The 2011 edition of Louisiana College was the 16th-best ASC squad all-time at +0.23 points per possession. 2011 CTX was only 44th at +0.14. The power teams from earlier years were peaking in the +0.30 range or even higher (undefeated & national champ 2007 HPU posted an absurd +0.44 margin). The difference may just be due to increased parity as CTX and other schools improve, or maybe ASC teams just aren't getting the talent anymore.
Let's go 'Nados!

CUAfan

Let's go 'Nados!

JACKET84

Quote from: CUAfan on March 11, 2012, 05:23:19 PM
The difference may just be due to increased parity as CTX and other schools improve, or maybe ASC teams just aren't getting the talent anymore.

Just my opinion, but the HPU team that won the 2008 DIII championship would have beaten any of the top teams in the conference this year by 20+ points.  The combination of Meia Daniel, Kim Hoffman, Stacy Blalock, etc. was dominating inside and outside.  The McMurry team that year would have done the same.  I do believe overall there is more parity now in the conference.  Those 2 teams were just exceptional.

JACKET84

For those of you that remember Coach Chris Kielsmeier who coached the 2007-2008 HPU women's national championship team, he is now at Wayne State College in Wayne, NE.  His DII team is currently ranked #1 in the nation, and if his team wins tonight, they will be traveling to San Antonio next week for the Quarter, Semi and Finals for  DII.  His team's current record is 31-2. 

http://www.wscwildcats.com/index.aspx?tab=_basketball&path=wbball

CUAfan

Sounds like the guy can coach basketball a little. :P

Maybe he should come coach the Texas women next year. He couldn't do any worse than Goestenkors. Not that I foresee UT ever going into the D2 ranks for a coach.
Let's go 'Nados!

JACKET84

He moved to Nebraska to be closer to home (Iowa).  I'm sure if there's a D1 opening in the midwest, his name will be on the list.

They won last night (32-2).  They'll be playing in San Antonio next week.  It would be something special to win a national championship in different divisions.