FB: Old Dominion Athletic Conference

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:13:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hscathletics

Quote from: jknezek on October 22, 2016, 04:42:08 PM
Offense wins games, defense wins championships?
The football version of an old wives' tale!

jknezek

Quote from: hscathletics on October 22, 2016, 08:18:56 PM
Quote from: jknezek on October 22, 2016, 04:42:08 PM
Offense wins games, defense wins championships?
The football version of an old wives' tale!

True. It works better for soccer.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: onceamink on October 21, 2016, 12:08:01 PM
Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on October 21, 2016, 10:54:36 AM
I agree with one exception, if RMC finishes 9-1 and several other teams are upset in the final weeks, RMC might have an opportunity to host, not likely but maybe. Certainly I'm not pulling for RMC to run the table. In reality, if W&L did not host last year not sure if odac will ever host again.

Part of the reason W&L didn't host was that W&L was hosting the DIII final four in field hockey.  I believe there were concerns by the NCAA on hosting two NCAA events at the same location (in sight of one another but different fields) at the same time.  Pretty sure that W&L would not have hosted even without field hockey but that certainly played a factor last year.

It didn't stop UW-Oshkosh from hosting a first-round football game and the Division III men's and women's cross country championships on the same day, for what it's worth.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

CMR

Saw the Jackets in person for the first time this year.  Looked very good in the second half.  Having two OL starters out was obvious in the first half.  Also, no Tre Fredericks in the CU game.  Talked to one of the Jackets parents who said some dinged up players were held out of the CU game to get them back for the three games upcoming.

onceamink

Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 23, 2016, 12:05:01 PM
I agree with one exception, if RMC finishes 9-1 and several other teams are upset in the final weeks, RMC might have an opportunity to host, not likely but maybe. Certainly I'm not pulling for RMC to run the table. In reality, if W&L did not host last year not sure if odac will ever host again.

Part of the reason W&L didn't host was that W&L was hosting the DIII final four in field hockey.  I believe there were concerns by the NCAA on hosting two NCAA events at the same location (in sight of one another but different fields) at the same time.  Pretty sure that W&L would not have hosted even without field hockey but that certainly played a factor last year.

It didn't stop UW-Oshkosh from hosting a first-round football game and the Division III men's and women's cross country championships on the same day, for what it's worth.

They probably weren't borderline for hosting a game.  It was easier to send W&L to TMC.

y_jack_lok

Quote from: CMR on October 23, 2016, 04:33:00 PM
Saw the Jackets in person for the first time this year.  Looked very good in the second half.  Having two OL starters out was obvious in the first half.  Also, no Tre Fredericks in the CU game.  Talked to one of the Jackets parents who said some dinged up players were held out of the CU game to get them back for the three games upcoming.

Good to know. Thanks for sharing. The announcers did not seem to have any information as to why some players were not in the game.

jknezek

Here's the thing about next week's RMC at W&L matchup that should have everyone stand up and take notice. It is the #1 rushing offense in DIII versus the #3 rushing defense in DIII. RMC is holding opponents to 1.55 yards per rush, 42.1 rushing yards per game on the season, and only 3 rushing TDs. W&L averages 427 rushing yards per game, 6.15 yards per carry, and has scored 30 rushing TDs this season, more on average per game than RMC allowed all season.

Has there been a strength on strength match up like this in DIII this year? You have to think something about this looks very good for RMC. They almost seem built to stop W&L, kind of odd in a conference that has so many passing teams, but there you have it. Last year they held W&L to tie for the Generals' second lowest point total of the season, 21. And it took a fourth quarter 11 play, 97 yard drive for W&L to leave with a win. To be fair, W&L racked up 347 yards rushing and 5.3 yards per carry, but they still punted 8 times.

I can't help but feel the first team to 24 wins this game. If W&L gets 400 yards rushing, they win easy. If RMC holds them to less than 300, the Jackets should leave Lexington with a win. In the middle, where I expect the game to be decided, is a toss up. Turnovers and penalties will probably tell the tale.

No I don't really fear the Jackets' offense. Unless they've been saving a lot of wrinkles, there just isn't much there to fear. They have yet to score 25 points against an ODAC opponent, and while they rank 79th in YPG in DIII, they only average 365 YPG against ODAC foes, closer to 140th in DIII. In terms of scoring, they are 86th in DIII, but if you look at ODAC foes only they would be closer to 171st at about 21 points per page.

As for W&L, the offense has caught fire in 3 of the last 4 weeks. They are averaging more yards and scoring more points against ODAC foes than they did against their OOC slate. They've averaged over 40 points per game in conference, and over 540 ypg of total offense, besting their total averages of 51st in scoring (around 35) and 21st in ypg (489). In fact the ODAC average of ypg would put them 5th in DIII.

So that leaves W&L's defense. Which has been a lot better since conference play started. Playing Guilford and H-SC the last two weeks has given them balanced offensive opponents. Forcing opponents to play from behind has improved the pass defense. That was seriously lacking when C-M-S came all the way back from a huge deficit in week 3 by throwing the ball all over the field in the second half. At 149th in total defense, W&L isn't going to scare anyone away from their offensive game plan. Allowing over 400 yards per game overall, and about the same in conference, but with only 21 touchdowns allowed, and only 10 in 4 conference games, the Generals have been tougher where it matters.

So in the end, strength versus strength and weakness versus weakness. W&L's rushing offense has been brutal to ODAC foes, RMC's rushing defense has killed game plans. RMC's offense can't find the endzone, W&L's defense doesn't stop teams from racking up yards.

It really should be a fascinating game.

Pat Coleman

Quote from: onceamink on October 23, 2016, 05:49:33 PM
Quote from: Pat Coleman on October 23, 2016, 12:05:01 PM

They probably weren't borderline for hosting a game.  It was easier to send W&L to TMC.

The committee doesn't really do that -- I think you're assuming something about the committee that just isn't really accurate.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

tigerFanAlso2

If you don't control the line of scrimmage you don't win; HSC 47 rushing yds. vs. W&L 566. Nothing else matters.
Those numbers make no sense at all. How in the he** is it possible to be totally dominated ? I expected W&L to win and I thought a good result for HSC would be 42 to 21, never expected what I saw in Sunday's paper.

Congrats to W&L. Time for HSC to rethink a lot of stuff and to regroup.

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on October 24, 2016, 08:32:18 AM
If you don't control the line of scrimmage you don't win; HSC 47 rushing yds. vs. W&L 566. Nothing else matters.
Those numbers make no sense at all. How in the he** is it possible to be totally dominated ? I expected W&L to win and I thought a good result for HSC would be 42 to 21, never expected what I saw in Sunday's paper.

Congrats to W&L. Time for HSC to rethink a lot of stuff and to regroup.

I was shocked TFA2. I haven't seen an H-SC team that helpless since I was in college in the 90s. Nothing worked for H-SC except kick coverage. Six turnovers doesn't help either, though W&L tried to help by giving three back. 

I'm going to chalk this one up to a rebuilding year for H-SC. Lot of underclassmen playing, so that should bode well for next year and beyond. Though the QB situation looked a bit grim. I don't know if he just had a bad day or what, but averaging less than 4.5 yards per pass play is not good, especially paired with 4 picks. W&L usually plays a bit soft on pass coverage, so giving up the screens and underneath balls is not unusual. Most teams can take advantage of that with a guy that can beat the first tackle. H-SC didn't seem like they had the guys to make that happen, let alone a QB or a game plan that let them test downfield throws.

Defensively H-SC was a mess. No ability to tie up the offensive line so W&L's guys were holding off the linebackers and just letting Hollerith and Hinckle get 5 yards before they were touched up the middle. We hardly ran the option at all. I think Nelson just had 3 or 4 carries. Hard to stop anyone if you are going to let them average 7+ with 2 different guys up the gut.

tigerFanAlso2

yep, if the guards get on the LB's quickly, the rb is going to pickup 5 yds before first contact. that happened all day long with seemingly NO ADJUSTMENTS. like I said earlier in the week, stop the first option and you have a chance. W&L ran the first option all day, because it was working, and HSC did absolutely nothing to adjust. Sat there in the 3/3 stack hoping for a better outcome that never showed up. 566 yds. rushing in one game, unbelievable. I doubt HSC has that many rushing yards for the season.

As I said earlier, I never thought HSC would win the game but I had no idea the result would look/smell like this.

Good luck vs. RMC this week. That one should be interesting and unless SU pulls something, the winner should represent the odac in the playoffs.

jknezek

I posted my thoughts on RMC-W&L above. I think it's going to be absolutely fascinating as two of the statistically best units in the country clash. Yeah, not calling them the best units in the country. W&L isn't rushing for 420+ yards in the WIAC and RMC isn't one of the best defenses in the country playing in the MIAC. But statistically, and on a peer basis, this is an epic match up.

tigerFanAlso2

W&L's defense is good enough to stop an awful RMC offense.

I don't think RMC defense will stop W&L; but they will slow u down. This could be a 21 to 10 W&L victory

jknezek

Quote from: tigerFanAlso2 on October 24, 2016, 01:53:35 PM
W&L's defense is good enough to stop an awful RMC offense.

I don't think RMC defense will stop W&L; but they will slow u down. This could be a 21 to 10 W&L victory

That's in line with my thoughts, but I think it will take 24 or 25 points. Helps the game is in Lexington.

jknezek

W&L's game notes for R-MC are up. Little bit less meat this week, but some parts taken from notes and some from W&L's Sports Information website:

http://generalssports.com/sports/fball/2016-17/releases/Macon_Notes

W&L-RMC series stands at 31-30-3 in favor of the Generals, and Coach Abell is 3-1 so far. W&L is 11-5 since the game in 2000, including wins in all 8 home games. The home victory in 2000 ended a 10 game W&L losing streak. The last three games have all been close contests. W&L won the last two 21-17 last year, 28-25 in 2014, and losing 21-27 in 2013 at RMC.

W&L has their longest ever ODAC win streak happening right now. The win over H-SC marked the 12th straight victory, one more than the 2010/2011 teams managed.

Nine Generals have rushed for 100 or more yards on the season. Nine Generals have also scored rushing TDs this season, with no player having more than 5 TDs. No General is averaging more than 100 yards per game, with M Hollerith leading the way with 77 ypg and an average carry of 5.2 yards.

Five Generals have 50 or more carries on the season, with Senior QB Charlie Nelson's 7.2 ypc holding the highest average. Of all Generals, first year Oliver Herndon has proven explosive in limited duty, carrying 19 times for 176 yards, or an average of 9.3 ypc.