Mid-Atlantic Region

Started by Mid-Atlantic Fan, August 29, 2017, 02:44:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hopkins92

Also, major props to the announcers who did a GREAT job calling that game in an even-handed and knowledgeable style. There were a few (correct) no calls of PKs deep in the game that Dips homers could've burned a bunch of time complaining about, bug these two kept it "professional" and pointed out they weren't fouls and moved on with the game.

Production was a little choppy, but I appreciate the effort to switch cameras from time to time. Only "complaint" is that balls in either near side corner were almost always off camera. And in the second half, that was a bit of an issue.

Overall though, kudos for the broadcast!

Shooter McGavin

Quote from: Falconer on November 10, 2019, 04:44:00 AM
The Falcons survived a severe test at home on a windy Saturday afternoon in Grantham—the game had been announced for 7 pm but was moved up, apparently to avoid playing in freezing temperatures. Good idea! As expected, Lycoming came loaded for bear, and they got what they needed: an official who swallowed his whistle. The Warriors were able to play their preferred style of mugging first, asking questions later, slowing the more athletic Falcons enough to take most of the attraction out of their beautiful game. For their part, the Falcons matched their aggression on defense, though it would be unnatural for them to wrap both arms around opponents from behind, hang on to a player's arm or jersey after he's already blown by, stand defiantly in front of an opponent about to take a free kick, or bitch loudly about being called for a foul he knows he's just committed. So, the Warriors appeared (as they usually do) somewhat deceptively to be the more aggressive team, whereas Messiah matched them tackle for tackle and bump for bump. Ironically, the only card given (a yellow to Warrior defender Arthur Nganu) was actually undeserved. He still unwisely pushed the envelope, daring the official to card him again on a subsequent set play, such that his teammates had to forcibly restrain him from crowding the Falcon kicker. That one SHOULD have been a second yellow, which would have fundamentally altered the game. The biggest non-call however was a hand ball in the Lycoming box that was seen but unwhistled, and from the smiles on the Lycoming bench was deeply appreciated, as the potential first goal was not attempted.

Nevertheless, 36 total fouls were called, roughly half the right number, with Lycoming earning the lion's share (22-14). Neither offense was able consistently to string passes together, and at the half just 9 shots were taken combined. That number doubled after intermission, when all the goals were scored. The Falcons put two on frame (just 3 in the whole game), neither of them saveable, while the Warriors peppered the net far more regularly, but could not score until the final minute. Falcon SR keeper Nate Flaners, who had dutifully sat on the bench for 3 years, save the Falcons' bacon multiple times, especially in the last 3 minutes when he made one of the greates saves I have ever seen on a close-in, perfectly directed header that everyone knew was going in. See the highlights on the Falcon home page for that one!

So, who outplayed whom? Just like the first game in Williamsport, this one was closer than the score—yet not as close, since it could have/should have been 3-0 with 3 minutes left; yet, it could have gone to OT, if not for the brilliant save in the closing minutes. Lycoming outshot Messiah, especially in SOG, but both teams were dangerous despite the inability to string passes together. If Lycoming somehow gets a bid (I say they won't), they will not be a team anyone wants to play, and if they dn't get good officiating they could very well knock off a top-10 team. They came close enough to doing that yesterday.

I agree with most of this and will let the stuff I don't agree with slide. I thought that this match was even more entertaining than the first battle these two teams had. Although Lycoming came up short, I thought they looked strong and caused Messiah fits throughout the game. The play was extremely aggressive and although Lycoming tends to be the aggressor when they play Messiah, I think it may have been even more physical than they would have liked as well. Despite this, both teams looked like NCAA tournament teams that could make runs past the first weekend. Messiah pushing through and finding a way to grind this win out shows how far they have come from earlier in the year. They have a toughness that makes up for their lack of skill and talent that has helped them overmatch their opponents in past years. That is not meant to take away from this team's talent or skill as they are extremely talented, but they aren't as fluent as years past and that is okay as the outstanding record they have put together won't care about previous Falcon teams. Lycoming had a ton of scoring opportunities but Messiah's keeper was stellar and guided them to a win. I thought Lycoming created more dangerous chances and more of them too as the box score will indicate but Messiah buried the ones they had to survive. Messiah was a lock regardless of this game but Lycoming is squarely on the bubble. I would be surprised if they got in but at the same time I wouldn't be surprised at all. If anyone from the national committee was watching that game they would without hesitation say both of those teams were going to be NCAA tournament teams. And with the amount of parity throughout the regions this year and 2 extra bids I wouldn't be in the least bit surprised to see Lycoming steal a bid. The 1 ranked win might hurt them but there are plenty of other teams that may get in with 1 win and some are even putting St. Thomas in the mixer who has 0 ranked wins. Regardless, this game was fun to watch despite the choppy play and congratulations to Messiah on another title! I think the Falcons could have a nice run to the final 4 if they get a favorable draw.   

LetteroftheLaw

We are just over five and a half hours away from knowing for sure, but who do you think hosts in the mid-Atlantic for the first two rounds this weekend? Seems like Hopkins will host and I could see catholic being sent up to Baltimore with two weaker teams and F&M hosting with messiah and two weaker teams.

rudy

Quote from: LetteroftheLaw on November 11, 2019, 07:54:03 AM
We are just over five and a half hours away from knowing for sure, but who do you think hosts in the mid-Atlantic for the first two rounds this weekend? Seems like Hopkins will host and I could see catholic being sent up to Baltimore with two weaker teams and F&M hosting with messiah and two weaker teams.

Messiah can't host since Messiah women host first weekend. But you will not see F&M playing Messiah the first weekend I doubt. They are both top 3  in the regional rankings so I don't think they would meet until sweet 16 if both are still alive. Perhaps a team like Eastern plays one of them first weekend. Messiah may end up in upstate NY which is common in recent years. Rochester, Hobart, Ithaca. Would be nice to get a crack at any of these teams given first weekend of the year losses to Hobart and Ithaca and last year elite 8 loss to Rochester. We will see soon enough.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: rudy on November 11, 2019, 08:37:47 AM

Messiah can't host since Messiah women host first weekend. But you will not see F&M playing Messiah the first weekend I doubt. They are both top 3  in the regional rankings so I don't think they would meet until sweet 16 if both are still alive. Perhaps a team like Eastern plays one of them first weekend. Messiah may end up in upstate NY which is common in recent years. Rochester, Hobart, Ithaca. Would be nice to get a crack at any of these teams given first weekend of the year losses to Hobart and Ithaca and last year elite 8 loss to Rochester. We will see soon enough.

Yes they may get sent to NY but doubt they would play a team they already played this year in the opening round. I believe the committee does their best to avoid pairing teams who have already played until at least the second weekend. Definitely not in the first round game and rarely in the second round games but usually for the regions out west.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Final NCAA Predictions
1. JHU
2. F&M
3. Messiah
4. Gettysburg
5. Swat
6. Catholic
7. Lyco
8. Haverford
9. Dickinson
10. Etown or Eastern (probably Etown)

LetteroftheLaw

Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on November 11, 2019, 09:22:20 AM
Final NCAA Predictions
1. JHU
2. F&M
3. Messiah
4. Gettysburg
5. Swat
6. Catholic
7. Lyco
8. Haverford
9. Dickinson

Understandably giving centennial teams a lot of respect and wisely since the committee seems to really value strength of schedule,  but in terms of the best teams in the mid-Atlantic my rankings are:
1. JHU
2. F&M
3. Messiah
4. Catholic
5. Swat
6. Gettysburg
7. Lycoming
8. Haverford
9. Dickinson
10. Eastern

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: LetteroftheLaw on November 11, 2019, 09:57:09 AM
Final NCAA Predictions
1. JHU
2. F&M
3. Messiah
4. Gettysburg
5. Swat
6. Catholic
7. Lyco
8. Haverford
9. Dickinson

Understandably giving centennial teams a lot of respect and wisely since the committee seems to really value strength of schedule,  but in terms of the best teams in the mid-Atlantic my rankings are:
1. JHU
2. F&M
3. Messiah
4. Catholic
5. Swat
6. Gettysburg
7. Lycoming
8. Haverford
9. Dickinson
10. Eastern

I actually agree with your rankings if I was selecting them. Eastern only in as they won the Freedom but I can see an argument for them or Etown at the 10 slot. I think you hit the nail on the head with your rankings though. +K

Christan Shirk

Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on November 11, 2019, 09:19:06 AM

Yes they may get sent to NY but doubt they would play a team they already played this year in the opening round. I believe the committee does their best to avoid pairing teams who have already played until at least the second weekend. Definitely not in the first round game and rarely in the second round games but usually for the regions out west.

I have never heard or read of any attempt to avoid re-matches of regular season games.  They try to avoid pairing members of the same conference in the first round.  In fact, and I'd have to look up if it was approved and for what time-frame, but their was a proposal for a pilot to not just try, but to guarantee that conference members do not play in round one.  Obviously out west, absolutely not allowing conference members to meet in the first round could potentially increase travel costs, but I think that is what they want to see in the pilot.
Christan Shirk
Special Consultant and Advisor
D3soccer.com

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: Christan Shirk on November 11, 2019, 10:11:30 AM
Quote from: Mid-Atlantic Fan on November 11, 2019, 09:19:06 AM

I have never heard or read of any attempt to avoid re-matches of regular season games.  They try to avoid pairing members of the same conference in the first round.  In fact, and I'd have to look up if it was approved and for what time-frame, but their was a proposal for a pilot to not just try, but to guarantee that conference members do not play in round one.  Obviously out west, absolutely not allowing conference members to meet in the first round could potentially increase travel costs, but I think that is what they want to see in the pilot.

Not sure if there is a rule or not and come to think of it I think we have seen teams play in the second round games who may have played one another in the regular season. But I feel that you almost never see teams play against each other in the first round if they have played one another in the regular season. There might not be a rule so it's possible they could but I would be interested to see what you find if you dig for this info  ;D  It might not be a rule so it could happen but I feel like we rarely see teams playing each other in round 1 who played during the regular season until at least round 2. The more west the region though the better the chance that could happen I guess just due to the number of teams and bids etc. I do like the conference rule though but also understand it may not always be possible the more west you go as discussed already.

Shooter McGavin

Final NCAA Predictions
1. JHU
2. F&M
3. Messiah
4. Gettysburg
5. Swat
6. Catholic
7. Lyco
8. Haverford
9. Dickinson

NCAA Regional Prediction: Week 4 (Final)
1. JHU
2. Messiah
3. F&M
4. Gettysburg
5. Catholic
6. Swat
7. Lyco
8. Haverford
9. Dickinson
10. Eastern

LetteroftheLaw

How many at large bids does the centennial conference get? Gettysburg, Haverford, Swat, and Dickinson all serious bubble teams.

Mid-Atlantic Fan

Quote from: LetteroftheLaw on November 11, 2019, 11:14:17 AM
How many at large bids does the centennial conference get? Gettysburg, Haverford, Swat, and Dickinson all serious bubble teams.

F&M, Gettysburg and Swat safely in.

Fords on the bubble. Dickinson no chance. Think Lycoming can sneak in if they are ahead of the Fords. They will certainly jump Dickinson in the final rankings.

Hopkins92

https://www.ncaa.com/brackets/soccer-men/d3/2019

Hopkins headed to Catholic, for a first round match up with John Jay. Catholic to face Conn. College in the other tilt.*
Messiah travels to NY to play Framingham St., to play the winner of SUNY-Oneanta and Babson.
The Dips host and play PS-Harrisburg, facing the winner of Hobart and Montclair St.
Close-by regional neighbors Chris. Newport host Eastern in the first round, and play the winner of Swat v. Roanoke.
W&L host NC Weslyan, setting up against the winner of G-burg vs. Oglethorpe.

Hopkins92

I still think it's a little nuts the Garnets get in, having failed to finish in the top 5 in the CC. But I get that the numbers don't lie.