MBB: St. Louis Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Started by FC News, March 01, 2005, 11:03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GU1999

Quote from: Greek Tragedy on February 22, 2019, 03:30:45 PM
Quote from: WUPHF on February 22, 2019, 03:16:09 PM
I talked to a friend of mine at Webster.  There are people on-campus who generally do not appreciate varsity athletics who understand that the game tonight (and hopefully tomorrow) is an opportunity to foster school spirit and build community.  Those people are working to turn out the students tonight.  Let's see if it works.

FWIW, Webster leads the league in home attendance, 520ish, Eureka is 2nd at 510. It's 2 hr and 45 min away. Manageable. There's got to be some hope for the Red Devils since the beat them once already. What's the general feeling of SLIAC foes and St. Louis area basketball fans in regards to Greenville? Are they kind of over it? Is it still a novelty? Would general basketball fans in the St. Louis area go to the Webster games or this weekend to watch?

The recorded attendance numbers are arbitrary & meaningless.  Fingers crossed the place is packed for the games.  It looked like a pretty good crowd in Greenville last night for the ladies games. 

hopefan

All posters who go to the games tonight.. when you walk in front of cameras, wave to me!!!!! ;D ;D ;D ;D
The only thing not to be liked in Florida is no D3 hoops!!!

GU1999

GU down 6 at half. 

Key stats:

Eureka winning turnover battle.  Surprisingly
GU winning boards.  Suprisingly
GU shooting <25% from 3. 
Dix and Badger with 3 fouls each in first 5 mins of the game
Bennington and Wiegan also with 3 each
Parker with 5 turnovers
Bennington with 22pt / 5teb in 11 mins

WUPHF

That up and down signal-thing from the officials was called last week.  I asked a few people and we all had guesses but no one had seen it before.

hopefan

The way this game is ending is more embarrassing than the 200 point deal... I haven't ever seen anything like this....

GU1999

Agree.  Not a great look for GU at the end.   8 Ts in total (Eureka had two).  Admittedly the game was reffed like a elementary school game with refs that we're afraid of running the floor and needed to stop play constantly, but you play into bad officials hands if you react and chirp.  It snowballs.   then you add in the emotion of last game ever stuff a total meltdown. 

GU1999

Hope- thoughts on Dix on 2nd team and Williams on 3rd?

If we think players should be held accountable for techs, should we also hold coaches responsible for petty voting on end if season awards? 

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: WUPHF on February 22, 2019, 08:46:27 PM
That up and down signal-thing from the officials was called last week.  I asked a few people and we all had guesses but no one had seen it before.

That's the "cylinder" call - or basically invading the space of an offensive player to keep them from moving without making contact or causing a foul. Was introduced I believe actually two years ago. The idea was to, along with this rule, cut down on the number of elbows being thrown by offensive players to clear out space. However, it was also decided that defenders can't encroach on an offensive player leaving little option than to cause a foul due to contact.

So a defender can't get within a "cylinder" to keep an offensive player from having the ability to avoid contact - essentially.

I actually may not be describing that very well. It isn't that new.
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

WUPHF

Thanks.  I remember hearing you talk about it.  Never seen it called before last weekend.

Dave 'd-mac' McHugh

Quote from: WUPHF on February 22, 2019, 09:38:17 PM
Thanks.  I remember hearing you talk about it.  Never seen it called before last weekend.

Ha - I think I've seen it a couple of dozen times this season alone LOL
Host of Hoopsville. USBWA Executive Board member. Broadcast Director for D3sports.com. Broadcaster for NCAA.com & several colleges. PA Announcer for Gophers & Brigade. Follow me on Twitter: @davemchugh or @d3hoopsville.

hopefan

Quote from: GU1999 on February 22, 2019, 09:27:11 PM

If we think players should be held accountable for techs, should we also hold coaches responsible for petty voting on end if season awards?

Absolutely ridiculous... I don't have access to full vote yet, I'll comment in detail tomorrow....

Ryan Scott (Hoops Fan)

Just imagine what things would be like if Eureka had grad programs.
Lead Columnist for D3hoops.com
@ryanalanscott just about anywhere

hopefan

Quote from: hopefan on February 22, 2019, 09:54:57 PM

Absolutely ridiculous... I don't have access to full vote yet, I'll comment in detail tomorrow....

I'll keep my thoughts to myself... my teams were derived by my quality point s awarded every game for every player...so consistency counted for something... I'm not going to contra the coaches, I have too much respect for every one of them... I guess I can only say that what they base their votes on is something different from what I base mine on...   I surely like my teams better, my MVP more... the frosh/newcomer of the year was a tossup between Davidson and Dougherty...I don't fault that one at all.

hopefan

Quote from: hopefan on February 22, 2019, 10:52:08 PM
Quote from: hopefan on February 22, 2019, 09:54:57 PM

I'll keep my thoughts to myself... my teams were derived by my quality point s awarded every game for every player...so consistency counted for something... I'm not going to contra the coaches, I have too much respect for every one of them... I guess I can only say that what they base their votes on is something different from what I base mine on...   I surely like my teams better, my MVP more... the frosh/newcomer of the year was a tossup between Davidson and Dougherty...I don't fault that one at all.

I haven't done very well at all this year or in the past matching up with the coach's vote... ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

WUPHF