2010 Player/Pitcher of the Year

Started by Jim Dixon, April 28, 2010, 03:15:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

d3baseballnut

Eliopolus could be the best pitcher in the nation, but Eagleson from Hopkins has better stats for various reasons, and is an amazing 11-0!! Anyway you slice it, they both have been excellent.

I think either one (or both) could be all-americans.

Both of their stats are great.

RSSmith

Quote from: d3baseballnut on May 20, 2010, 11:51:10 PM
Eliopolus could be the best pitcher in the nation, but Eagleson from Hopkins has better stats for various reasons, and is an amazing 11-0!! Anyway you slice it, they both have been excellent.

I think either one (or both) could be all-americans.

Both of their stats are great.

Eliopoulos had a bit of a slow start in his first game of the season (vs. Concordia IL in Arizona), but he has been lights out ever since.  Against Moravian, he pitched five innings, had 9 ground ball outs and 4 strikeouts (plus, I think, a pickoff and a "caught stealing").

Eagleson didn't even pitch last year, and his stats speak for themselves.

Both of these guys are sophomores, and will be tearing up D3 for two more years. 

Wow.
A walk is never as good as a hit!

fouriscosmic

Player of the Year battle between Youchak and Kahn, Pitcher of the Year battle between Eliopoulus and Eagleson, what else could Coach Babb ask for? (Other than a strike call in 2008)
With the talent on this years Hopkins team Babb may be in for the best season of his career, picking up win #898 today against Rowan would put the Jays in a great position to secure a spot in Appleton.

bulldozer

Don't forget Greggy Harbeck for Pitcher of the Year!

HIP2HIP

does anyone know when the d3 all-american teams will come out?

Bonesaw

Eliopoulos has fantastic numbers. His ERA may be a little higher than other pitchers, but I find that to be misleading. ERA is based on scoring decisions and what may be one man's error is another man's hit. Additionally, we've all seen plays by defenders that save runs a dive in the gap, a great backhand deep in the hole at SS, so a pitcher's ERA may be deflated by a good defense. ERA is a simple tool to get a rough idea on how a pitcher is doing, but it can certainly be misleading.  Pitchers realisticly control three things; strikeouts, walks (and hbp obvi), and homeruns allowed. Eliopoulos is striking out more than a batter per inning, walking less than 3 batters per nine innings and has allowed no home runs in 74.1 innings. That is darn impressive. His 83:22 K:BB ratio is nothing less than elite, and there is no doubt in my mind he should be a frontrunner for pitcher of the year.

bulldozer

He actually allowed a homer in his last outing bonesaw, but your point stands. 

Anyone want to put their all-american teams?

Bonesaw

Thank you for pointing out my mistake bulldozer, how careless of me. But as you say, 1 homerun allowed in 74.1 innings is still quite impressive.

d3baseballnut

Quote from: Bonesaw on May 24, 2010, 05:59:56 PM
Thank you for pointing out my mistake bulldozer, how careless of me. But as you say, 1 homerun allowed in 74.1 innings is still quite impressive.

I completely agree with everything said about the Hopkins potential national pitchers and hitters of the year.

Like i said, all three hopkins starters could be all-americans. How do you pick between them. The one which draws the Heidelberg game may get some ERA inflation.....maybe

fouriscosmic

Aren't the awards announced before the WS? So the stats as they stand now are what would be used?

Eagleson and Youchak were the picks for the Mid Atlantic Player/Pitcher of the Year, I wonder if the same two will be National Player/Pitcher of the Year.

(Eliopoulos 2nd team, Harbeck 3rd Team. Both Kahn and Sikorski joined Eagleson and Youchak on the first team)

d3baseballnut

Yea your right, Smithers.

I realized that after i posted. THanks for the correction.

BigPoppa

ABCA all-American team is announced at the all-American banquet Thursday night in Appleton.

The D3baseball.com all-American team will be released on Tuesday night.

Baseball is not a game that builds character, it is a game that reveals it.

Pat Coleman

Closer to Wednesday morning. Tuesday night by the NCAA Selection clock.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Mr. Ypsi

Quote from: Pat Coleman on May 25, 2010, 07:31:34 PM
Closer to Wednesday morning. Tuesday night by the NCAA Selection clock.

;D

mr_b

When do the all-region teams come out? I've seen some references to certain regions but none for the Central.