FB: Michigan Intercollegiate Athletic Association

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 05:06:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

formerd3db

I was totally surprised at Trine today. Disappointing  in another early excit from the playoffs for MIAA teams. While this Trine team was not one of their usual power teams as they have had in recent years, still they were very good and as they had gone 10-0, I expected them to go to at least the second round. Still, that does not take away from the great season they had and congratulations to them.

Yet, once again, it brings me back to what I and others have mentioned in the past-until our MIAA teams start playing better teams in their non-conference games, we can expect these continued reults of early excits from the  playoffs, and that will always be disappointing.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

TUAngola

Quote from: formerd3db on November 17, 2018, 09:39:30 PM
I was totally surprised at Trine today. Disappointing  in another early excit from the playoffs for MIAA teams. While this Trine team was not one of their usual power teams as they have had in recent years, still they were very good and as they had gone 10-0, I expected them to go to at least the second round. Still, that does not take away from the great season they had and congratulations to them.

Yet, once again, it brings me back to what I and others have mentioned in the past-until our MIAA teams start playing better teams in their non-conference games, we can expect these continued reults of early excits from the  playoffs, and that will always be disappointing.
The story of the game was St Norbert's defense.  There is no other team in the MIAA that is remotely close to the way the Green Knights can play defense.  I could tell from the first series it was going to be a long day for our offense.  Everyone knows that Carswell is a tremendous player, but he is the type of back who wants to stretch the field and use his speed to get to the edge, he isn't the classic "north/south" runner.  St Norbert's overall team speed on defense was outstanding, they didn't allow Carswell to break off any long runs.  The other thing they do extremely well is create turnovers.  When St Norbert tackles it appears they don't put you on the ground right away, they stand you up and then wait for help to come in and strip the ball.  They did that to Carswell a couple times and also to Duckett. 

Our QB play was just in a word "putrid" yesterday.  Winters was awful, the OLine didn't protect him much, but then again our offensive play calling leaves little to the imagination.  Our defense played decent.  St Norbert runs the triple option, not many teams like that anymore.  Their QB had some speed.  There was really only one offensive drive for a TD the whole game by St Norbert, that was right after we got on the board first with a pick6, they came down the field and scored.  All their other scores were off turnovers, including a fumble and interception returned for TDs.  I think we had 6 TOs total, no one is going to win with 6 TOs.

A disappointing way to end the season for sure.  The offense put in place the last 2 years was obviously built around using what Carswell does best.  But once teams take that away (Wartburg last year, St Norbert this year), we don't have alternative ways to beat you.  I hope we employ a more diversified offense next year.  We'll have a more "north/south" back taking over the reigns in Stinson.  He is a big back, wish he would have played more yesterday, he had 1 carry, but it was for 10 yards going up the field, so for that he comes back out of the game?  ::)  It will definitely be a rebuilding mode on offense, and the defense loses the entire secondary.  Next year going in as favorites should be Hope, Albion and Olivet with what they have coming back.   

formerd3db

Thanks TUA for the recap of the game. It sounds like Trine had a real "off day", which is even more disappointing when that occurs in the playoffs, of all places and which I always have difficulty in understanding why that happens to teams. Nothing against St. Norbert and congratulations to them, yet Idon't think they are the caliber of the upper tier teams in our region. That MIAA teams should be playing in the non-conference portion of our schedules for the potential improvement we have discussed. It will be interesting to see how St. Norbert will do in the 2nd round game.

BTW, why was the attendance so low at Zollner yesterday given the huge crowds you have had all season? That was disappointing to see. The students couldn't have "flown the coup" just yet for Thanksgiving break😀! Was there some kind of of other events going g on in the area that would have kept the general Angola community from choosing to attend the game as they had done so during the regular season. Just curious.
"When the Great Scorer comes To mark against your name, He'll write not 'won' or 'lost', But how you played the game." - Grantland Rice

TUAngola

Quote from: formerd3db on November 18, 2018, 09:48:48 AM
Thanks TUA for the recap of the game. It sounds like Trine had a real "off day", which is even more disappointing when that occurs in the playoffs, of all places and which I always have difficulty in understanding why that happens to teams. Nothing against St. Norbert and congratulations to them, yet Idon't think they are the caliber of the upper tier teams in our region. That MIAA teams should be playing in the non-conference portion of our schedules for the potential improvement we have discussed. It will be interesting to see how St. Norbert will do in the 2nd round game.

BTW, why was the attendance so low at Zollner yesterday given the huge crowds you have had all season? That was disappointing to see. The students couldn't have "flown the coup" just yet for Thanksgiving break😀! Was there some kind of of other events going g on in the area that would have kept the general Angola community from choosing to attend the game as they had done so during the regular season. Just curious.
Not sure why there wasn't more people at the game.  I'm sure the cold weather kept some away, but it wasn't brutally cold.  Could be those who had regular season "passes" to games had to pay yesterday, so maybe those "tightwads" stayed home?  Students were on campus, I couldn't tell what the student turnout was like as I was on the opposite end of the home stands.  There were a couple events going on at the same time on campus, a wrestling invitational and a women's hockey game, but both not likely to draw football fans away from the game.  The attendance was similar to last year's home playoff game, but that game's weather was much worse, including a lightning delay.  But, if you look at attendance figures at other playoff games yesterday, there really weren't any big crowds.   

formerd3db

Quote from: TUAngola on November 18, 2018, 10:48:12 AM
Quote from: formerd3db on November 18, 2018, 09:48:48 AM

Not sure why there wasn't more people at the game.  I'm sure the cold weather kept some away, but it wasn't brutally cold.  Could be those who had regular season "passes" to games had to pay yesterday, so maybe those "tightwads" stayed home?  Students were on campus, I couldn't tell what the student turnout was like as I was on the opposite end of the home stands.  There were a couple events going on at the same time on campus, a wrestling invitational and a women's hockey game, but both not likely to draw football fans away from the game.  The attendance was similar to last year's home playoff game, but that game's weather was much worse, including a lightning delay.  But, if you look at attendance figures at other playoff games yesterday, there really weren't any big crowds.

Again, appreciate your assessment. I know what you mean- it seems that attendance at all the early rounds in the DIII playoffs are low every year, especially the 2nd week my end i.e post Thanksgiving in weekend. Even Mount had lower attendance fir those/that, however, schools couldn't use that excuse this weekend. Unfortunately, it appears to be just that  current trend the past 2 years+ of declining attendance overall in DIII football ( and at many schools in the other divisions including DI) as we have discussed.

It will be interesting to see how attendance at the Stage Biwl might be in 3 years when it moves to Canton, OH. I suspect that if it were to be a Texas school (MHB) and some other southern region school this year, Stagg attendance might be higher than it had been in recent years ( which hasn't really been that bad actually). Although, if it is Mount and one if the other "usual" teams, it mist likely will be about the same as it had been. Just my guess.

Anyway, on to the next round! And...the Mich/Ohio State game-"The Game" as it us known. I would like to see a Mich/Northwestern Big Ten Championship game!☺

BTW, and this is also fir Mr.Ypsi, how about that Easyetn Michigan football team this year? Decent, very decent for Creighton and Co. A good job on his tenure so far I would say.☺

ThunderStorm_3peat

I would attribute the fumbles Carswell had to the fact he had the ball in his right arm while running to his left. No reason Trine shouldn't have won that game vs St Norbert and I predict Whitewater steamrolls them due to their anemic offense. They just don't have any weapons on their offense.  Would have liked to see some early PA and go over the top vs St Norbert didn't seem to have anyone that could cover 18.
I love to win. Love it. Football is just too hard and too tough if you're not successful. This isn't just recreation, and the sport isn't for everybody. I just don't want to expend all this time and effort and come up short.

TUAngola

Quote from: ThunderStorm_3peat on November 20, 2018, 10:06:50 AM
I would attribute the fumbles Carswell had to the fact he had the ball in his right arm while running to his left. No reason Trine shouldn't have won that game vs St Norbert and I predict Whitewater steamrolls them due to their anemic offense. They just don't have any weapons on their offense.  Would have liked to see some early PA and go over the top vs St Norbert didn't seem to have anyone that could cover 18.

I agree we should have thrown the ball more.  But Brandon Winters had zero time in the pocket when he did drop back, our OLine got their butts kicked by SNC's DLine.  SNC's D was so much better than anyone we play on our schedule, maybe Hope was close, but even their defense is not as dominant as SNC.  I don't think SNC wins at Whitewater, and yes SNC wasn't all that impressive on O other than their QB on option runs, but their D will make it interesting.  If we went up to Whitewater, we get smoked as our run D isn't good enough to stop the big boys on the D3 block.     

Raider 68

To all the MIAA posters, have a Happy and Safe Thanksgiving Holiday! :)
13 time Division III National Champions

formerd3db

Brief switch to DII and DI...
A bummer as Ferris State fell short in the DII title game against Valdosta State (GA).. They scored with just 50 seconds left in the game to make it 47-49, however, their trick play 2 point conversion attempt failed. Valdosta wins their 4th national DII title. A great season for Ferris, but...another disappointment. I thought they would finally win it this year, after falling short  2 and 3 years ago.😞

And...currently end of 3rd quarter, Eastern Michigan is only behind by 3 points to Georgia Southern in the Raycom Camellia Bowl, 17-14. It would be a great win for Eastern and Coach C and staff if they can pull it off.

formerd3db

Another bummer😞(for our teams from our state) After taking the lead in the 4th quarter, Eastern Michigan loses a close one, 23-21 to Georgia Southern.

Edit: for spelling correction☺

Raider 68

Merry Christmas to all the MIAA posters and may you have a Happy and Healthy New Year! :)

13 time Division III National Champions

JCUStreaks70

MIAA Poster's who may also double as UofM fans, on 9/7 my brother and I are driving from Chicago to go to the Army-Michigan game (sorry to disappoint but we're big Army fans).

Do any of you have any suggestions on places to go or things to do for our first time at the Big House? We are driving up Friday Morning and will be doing Ann Arbor Friday night (but staying in Livonia for cheaper Hotel, lol).

Thanks! Go Army!
AMDG

2016 OAC CHAMPS! AND MY OWN SELF-PROCLAIMED RUNNERS-UP TO THE RUNNERS-UP.

MUC57

Quote from: JCUStreaks70 on July 15, 2019, 09:30:42 AM
MIAA Poster's who may also double as UofM fans, on 9/7 my brother and I are driving from Chicago to go to the Army-Michigan game (sorry to disappoint but we're big Army fans).

Do any of you have any suggestions on places to go or things to do for our first time at the Big House? We are driving up Friday Morning and will be doing Ann Arbor Friday night (but staying in Livonia for cheaper Hotel, lol).

Thanks! Go Army!

Streaks70

I don't know anything about Ann Arbor, but at least I'LL  be at the Mount Union at John Carroll game on September 28. Enjoy your game. Go Army.  ;D
I'm old! I get mixed up and I forget things! Go Everybody! 🏈 ☠

JCUStreaks70

Quote from: MUC57 on July 15, 2019, 01:56:18 PM

Thanks! Go Army!

Streaks70

I don't know anything about Ann Arbor, but at least I'LL  be at the Mount Union at John Carroll game on September 28. Enjoy your game. Go Army.  ;D

Thanks MUC. Unfortunately I won't be driving out from Chicago for that one. BlueStreaks66 and I are planning the annual route against Wilmington as our Annual JCU Weekend trip.
AMDG

2016 OAC CHAMPS! AND MY OWN SELF-PROCLAIMED RUNNERS-UP TO THE RUNNERS-UP.

The Mole

Quote from: MUC57 on July 15, 2019, 01:56:18 PM

Thanks! Go Army!
I was in Ann Arbor a few weeks ago. Definite;y hit Zingerman's Roadhouse for lunch or dinner and Cafe Zola for brunch. You will not be disappointed
Streaks70

TAKE THE ROAD LESS TRAVELED