FB: Liberty League

Started by admin, August 16, 2005, 04:58:34 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ITH radio

There was some speculation regarding David's departure from Hobart, but given the situation at Muhlenberg, I couldn't imagine a better landing place for him. Hopefully Coach Duke's treatment up in Buffalo is going well and he'll be back on the sidelines after this season.
Follow us on twitter @D3FBHuddle

dlippiel

Quote from: PBR... on August 14, 2017, 02:59:22 PM
FYI... Good to see coach Kory David from Hobart that came over helping out while Coach Donnelly at Muhlenberg is in the ultimate battle...

http://www.philly.com/philly/sports/colleges/muhlenberg-football-coach-mike-donnelly-leukemia-fight-for-life-20170814.html

Wishing Coach Donnelly the very best! Dlip will send his prayers and be rooting for Coach Donnelly's Mules all season!

bigdvs

http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Former-Troy-High-star-John-Germinerio-aims-for-11735685.php

TU article about Troy QB getting ready for freshmen year with the Dutchmen. What do you all think? Dlip what are you hearing?

(Damn, I really have not posted anything in 5 years, I have been lurking like a boss)

(Edit it was actually only 2)
The only true currency in this bankrupt world... is what you share with someone else when you're uncool.

Bartman

Quote from: bigdvs on August 16, 2017, 10:35:16 AM
http://www.timesunion.com/sports/article/Former-Troy-High-star-John-Germinerio-aims-for-11735685.php

TU article about Troy QB getting ready for freshmen year with the Dutchmen. What do you all think? Dlip what are you hearing?

(Damn, I really have not posted anything in 5 years, I have been lurking like a boss)
I watched his brother play in some games at Brockport on the internet and he is very talented, so little brother highlights may be even better. Dutchman look like they are on the way back.
"I never graduated from Iowa, but I was only there for two terms - Truman's and Eisenhower's."
Alex Karras
"When it's third and ten, you can take the milk drinkers and I'll take the whiskey drinkers every time."
Max McGee
"I love football. I really love football, As far as I'm concerned, it's the second best thing in the world".
Joe Namath

dlippiel

Quote from: bigdvs on August 16, 2017, 10:35:16 AM

(Edit it was actually only 2)

Thanks for posting the link! +k

Dlip will be getting over to camp next week (he's on the Cape this week). Germinerio is a very talented and athletic kid. He was clearly one of the premier HS players in the Capital District. Dlip was pumped to hear he chose Union. He'll be sure to report what he sees next week.

From what dlip understands there is also a QB coming in from the New Orleans area who is supposed to be very good. There may turn out to be a great QB competition this summer in Schenectady.

In dlip's eyes it will be a healthy Cioffi's job to lose. Dante has a big arm and great size. He has always struggled with his accuracy and mobility. The mobility probably won't improve much but the accuracy may have. Depends on how hard the kid worked this past offseason since getting healthy.

To dlip, with The Dutchmen having somewhat of a newish O-line, if one of these kids comes in and can both throw the ball well when called on AND move, that QB may get the nod.

ITH radio

I had a good convo with Coach Behrman for Kickoff. I do think Union will struggle in some areas, but I wouldn't be surprised if they hit the 5 (or more) win mark. They may surprise some. Will be interesting to see how it plays out.

Pat Coleman

Lots of teams would win five of the games on Union's schedule. Not sure how surprising that would be.
Publisher. Questions? Check our FAQ for D3f, D3h.
Quote from: old 40 on September 25, 2007, 08:23:57 PMLet's discuss (sports) in a positive way, sometimes kidding each other with no disrespect.

Bombers798891

Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 17, 2017, 11:08:58 AM
Lots of teams would win five of the games on Union's schedule. Not sure how surprising that would be.

Yeah. I mean, Husson's probably a loss, but the rest of the non-con schedule is pretty lousy. They should be at worst 3-2, and possibly 4-1 at that point. Rochester was lousy last year. They always play Ithaca tough, and this is a major transition year for the Bombers.

That said, they should be better if Cioffi is there considering they almost completely abandoned their passing game last season

ITH radio

I agree on both points above. What I meant would be a "surprise" is if/when they "upset" some LL teams not called Rochester.

D3pc

Any updates from respective camps?

Bombers798891

It's interesting to me that Hobart, which has historically been dreadful at Ithaca, will play their first road game of the season in Week 5 against the Bombers. Not that I think it's going to leave the Statesman quaking, but if the Bombers want to pull off the upset, every little bit helps

unionpalooza

Gotta love Kickoff and all its little nuggets.  Sweeney seriously spent the summer before his senior year of college working for the Hobart ground crew?

dlippiel

Dlip watched a full Dutchmen practice this morning. He absolutely loved the energy out there!

Union is certainly young with over 30 freshmen. There are only about a dozen seniors to go along with that and dlip believes under 90 players at camp.

Dlip was quite impressed with the defense. Union has a couple excellent returning athletes in key spots on the D (Reilly, Nelson, Ordukhanyan, Lombardo, Law, and Tempel). Dlip loves The way MLB Hunter Ordukhanyan plays. Kid is 5'9 235 and is a solid guy with a low center of gravity that can really move. This could be a big year for him and Lombardo in the middle. We are young at the CB/DB position.

Dlip thinks the offense will be a work in progress lead by youth on the O-line. Honestly, much will depend on how well the line plays and who steps up. This is clearly a rebuilding process and Coach Behrmans first group of recruits. To dlip this is the first step in the rebuilding of a program and should be treated accordingly. Dlip is super pumped with the youth and direction of the program. However this will not happen over night.

As far as the QB position goes dlip was happy with what he saw. Cascione looked good, Cioffi seems healthy and two of the Freshman look pretty good (Bellamy and Germinerio). If you asked dlip right now he thinks Cascione will get the nod to begin the season (this is totally a hunch on his part and based on what he saw today and this week). It will be interesting to see who starts with the first team this Friday during the scrimmage.

Dlip is super pumped about the U and will support this team unconditionally. He loves what he sees going on here and believes in all the student athletes on this team. A great day of practice for sure!

unionpalooza

I for one am a big fan of this year's Union schedule.  Given how off track the program had become, a major priority at this point ought to be restoring a culture of winning, and a gentler SoS certainly helps there.  Folks may knock it, but I'm not sure why anyone would prefer going 3-7 against a tough schedule to going 6-4 against an easier one.

Quote from: Pat Coleman on August 17, 2017, 11:08:58 AM

Bombers798891

Quote from: dlip on August 22, 2017, 08:56:17 PM
Dlip watched a full Dutchmen practice this morning. He absolutely loved the energy out there!

Union is certainly young with over 30 freshmen. There are only about a dozen seniors to go along with that and dlip believes under 90 players at camp.

I'm not sure the ratio of freshmen to seniors is all that unusual, given attrition. That does seem like a small number of players to have at camp though. I think IC had 122 players listed on their 2016 roster, for comparison's sake.