WBB: GNAC Women's Hoops

Started by Poppadoc, February 14, 2005, 02:46:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DannyBoy

Allen,

How do you think the Saints will fair vs Salem State?  I was at the game earlier this year when they lost by 2 to them at home.  The game was very sloppy, neither team shot over 35% from the field and the saints blew a late 8 point lead over the final 2 minutes of the game.  Do you think that they will be able to win and advance to Bates?

And if they do beat Salem State... do the saints have it in them to knock off yet another #1 seeded team in the nation right now or was the win vs Bowdoin earlier in the year a one time deal?

-DannyBoy

Allen M. Karon

Emmanuel will do better this time around vs. Salem State-- the Saints did not seem as motivated to beat Salem the first time around, but they will be motivated to get revenge against the team that handed Emmanuel their first ever loss in the Jean Yawkey Center.  I expect that Emmanuel will advance, but it will be a very competitive game.

I will be at Emmanuel's game on Wednesday, as Brandeis has a home rematch with WNEC in the ECAC tournament, and if the Judges can't beat WNEC at Auerbach Arena without me (I am making a statement here), then they don't deserve to have their season go any further.  I know that I am giving Coach Wendy Davis a free shot at my alma mater here, but it is a shot that I think she should get due to the disappointment that I am feeling about Brandeis's performance over the last 5 games.

As for the game at Bates-- it will be tough for any visiting team to go up to Lewiston, Maine and win a game on the road at Bates's home court.  However, I believe that Emmanuel will probably do better at Bates than Brandeis did a few days ago at NYU.

raining 3 s

Emmanuel should play alot better.  I think they took Salem State for granted. Emmanuel played a very undiciplined game from what I remember.  Probably, the worst game I have seen against Salem State going back...at least ..10+ years.  I think they will be be up for the challenge

DannyBoy

I can't wait for Wednesday night and the big rematch vs Salem State!

Rumor has it that Emmanuel's Gym is going to be packed.  The student activities board is doing all they can to get as many students into the gym to pump the Saints up.  It is definitely going to be a playoff environment!!  MARCH MADNESS STARTS IN BOSTON!!! I'M FIRED UP!!!  

YEA BABY!!!

Poppadoc

WIthout a doubt!! The Saints will not play like they did the first game. Yes, it was a sloppy game but the ball just wouldnt drop for them. I can recall several easy missed layups and they didn't shoot their free throws very well either. I look for it to be close with the Saints pulling it out at the end. Besides, my daughter didnt like the taste of her 1st round loss last year to Salve Regina. If they play their game and keep the big guns (Johnson and Johnson) out of foul trouble they will do just fine......

DannyBoy

I was at the loss to Salve Regina and I'm still bitter about it as well.  Salem State is the only team to beat the Saints in the Jean Yawkey Center this year. I can't wait for them to stick it to them and go charging up to Maine this weekend.  

I've been posting on the NESCAC conference as well and Bates fans aren't even thinking about Emmanuel, they are pushing us over. I hope we can take it to Salem and then up to Bates!

DannyBoy-

d-mac

It's time for the Big Dance... the teams are selected... the games are scheduled... and now 48 men's and 50 women's teams will take to the court this weekend with the same goal... a national title.
But who will win? The tournament previews are tonight on "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville"!!!

Sunday night we were live when the teams were selected and we found out who was in and out. The women's bracket was done relatively well... the men's bracket seems to be a bit of a disappointment.

But now we are looking ahead at the big games this weekend. From now on its win or go home.

One of those men's teams that is one of the hottest in the nation is #17 Gustavus Adulphus... who is riding an 18-game winning streak into the NCAA Tournament. The Gusties now will take on Lawrence on Thursday and could face the defending National Champs, UW-Stevens Point on Saturday. So, what might Mark Hanson be thinking. We will hear from him tonight and how his team has recovered from their 4-5 start to the season.

Now... the NCAA doesn't seed the Men's and Women's Brackets... but we will!
Tonight, live on the air, we will seed the men's and women's brackets according to how we see it and how we think the NCAA was thinking. So you can get an idea of who the NCAA thinks are the top teams and who might be hosting games in the Sweet 16 and Elite 8 (Regionals).

And there are new #1 teams in both the Men's and Women's Top-25 this week... but barely. UW-Stevens Point is just points ahead of Amherst on the men's side. And on the women's, it is just a point between Scranton and Bowdoin.

We will breakdown the final regular season Top-25 and try and figure out what the voters were thinking. Along with pointing out how not all of the Top-25 made the tournament.

And of course, we will have live regional reports from around the nation and take your questions and comments live on the air.

So come join us online and LIVE from 8PM - 10PM Eastern!

"http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville": only place where you can listen or chat about Division III Basketball in the nation.

Go to the "http://www.d3hoops.com/hoopsville">Hoopsville" page for information on how you can listen in and chat with us live!

Allen M. Karon

On the NESCAC forum, Dannyboy pretty much summed up what happened in the Emmanuel/Salem State game-- however, I will give Salem State coach Tim Shea credit in being able to come up with a match-up zone that gave Emmanuel fits all night.  Emmanuel turned the ball over 23 times on the game and only shot 14-73 from the field (19.2%), and 2-23 from 3 pt. range (8.7%), but that second "3" was Katey Wentworth's "3" that won the game for Emmanuel with 31 seconds left.

Emmanuel outrebounded Salem State, 66-39-- LaTeisha Johnson had a double-double of 16 pts. and 20 rebounds for the Saints.

Emmanuel hit 13-20 from the charity stripe (65%), while Salem hit 8-18 from the line.  (44.4%).

Emmanuel has to shoot way better than 19% on Saturday, or Bates will not have too much of a difficult time advancing to the Sweet 16.

Poppadoc

Allen~

Your right. That 2-3 zone was packed in all night not allowing to many looks for Paulette
and Teisha. FG Shooting was atrocius. If Salem had made some of those free throws and Teisha didnt rebound like a mad man, we would've been in trouble. Katey's 3 was "HUGE" as was Nessie's steal at half court with a minute or so left. However, shooting 19% against Bates will send us home.............for good!!

Mike Davidson

Thanks Saints for proving that the GNAC is not the weakest conference in NE(as one person posted on the NESCAC board) The GNAC sent 3 teams to post season. Good Luck at Bates, it should be an exciting affair as both teams like to run and gun

Allen M. Karon

Mike--

Schedule of games coming up--

1.) ECAC Semifinal--

Friday, March 4, 2005--

Auerbach Arena, Waltham, MA--

Norwich at Brandeis-- 6 PM Eastern.

Brandeis will be favored based on the fact that the Judges play a tougher schedule than Norwich, but Norwich has a team that can upset Brandeis on Friday if the Judges don't play well.

Winner of the Brandeis/Norwich match will play the winner of the Mt. Holyoke/Fitchburg State match for the ECAC title at 2 PM on Saturday-- that game will also be at Auerbach Arena in Waltham, MA.

NCAA Second round--

at Alumni Gymnasium, Lewiston, Maine--

Emmanuel at Bates-- 2 PM Eastern, Saturday.

dhhoops

Congrats on a great season, Emmanuel!

Allen M. Karon

I also send my kudos to Emmanuel on a terrific season.  Going undefeated in the GNAC for a 5th straight year, and beating Bowdoin in the regular season make this season an excellent one for the Saints.

I also have a question:  How did they squeeze over 1,000 fans into a gym in Lewiston, Maine that only has a listed seating capacity of 750?  There must have been a lot of people standing around the court in very tight quarters.  If anyone has any pictures of yesterday's game that were taken with a digital camera, I would love to see them.

And as for Norwich Friday night, Norwich did have their moments in the second half at Auerbach, I will give them that.  Brandeis, however, came out on top with an 83-70 victory Friday, and then crushed Fitchburg State, 91-65, to repeat as ECAC New England champion.

Poppadoc

Allen~

I was at the game Saturday and at the most there were maybe 850. Yes, the gym was packed but there was also standing room along the baseline. Alas, I have to say Bates put an old fashion but kicking on the Saints. They beat them at there own game. Out rebounding, out hustling and capitalizing on the turn overs. There were also alot of unforced turnovers which hurt even more. In there defense, those were some very tired girls going up against a team with over a weeks rest. Check this out...
During Bates "vacation" the Saints played 3 games and look at the minutes.....

1) Paez  Norw 39 min, Salem 33 min, Bates 38
2) Johnson, L. Norw 28 min, Salem 36 min, Bates 29 min.
3) Johnson, P. Norw 33 min, Salem 26 min, Bates 24 min (foul trouble in Salem and Norwich games)
4) McCoy  Norw 33 min, Salem 36 min, Bates 30 min.

That's alot of minutes for your main players, not to mention the intensity level of a championship game, and 2 NCAA playoff games. Lets not forget the "heat in the gym" I would have to say that was around 75-80 degrees, then add in the fans and it goes up another 10. Then think about that damn hot pipe on the top seat of the bleachers behind the teams benches. Hats off to Bates, they played like the #3 team in country. Also congrats to the Saints for finishing with the best record in school history at 27-3!!

Allen M. Karon

Poppadoc--

Bates actually had about just a week's rest. http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0> Bates played Williams in the NESCAC semifinals on the same day that Emmanuel played Norwich for the GNAC championship-- and then Bates played at Bowdoin for the NESCAC title the day after the GNAC championship game.  Bates then had the first round bye, so they did not have to play on Wednesday-- so Bates was more rested than Emmanuel.  (But I'm not nitpicking!  http://discus.d3hoops.com/discus/clipart/happy.gif" ALT=":-)" BORDER=0>)

I may be going to the sectional at Southern Maine this weekend-- it all depends on whether my Maine friends can get tickets for me-- this sectional could easily sell out just like the one at Bowdoin last year.  I do want to see this one.  Of course, if I don't get tickets, the sectional will probably be webcasted, so I can listen to it.